...life can be translucent

Menu

clarissa

visitor
Reaction score
Is this about being out of one's element? I'm getting that especially from Bradford's translation: "This is not one's own domain" and Wilhelm's commentary speaks about being among rich and powerful neighbors.

lightofdarkness

(deceased)
Reaction score
14 - Line 4
"One's nature is interpreted as being forceful and overbearing. One should be weary of outshining one's ruler [i.e. give way]."

lightofdarkness

(deceased)
Reaction score
note that line position 4 is mapped to hex 16 - and so a strong focus on enthusiasm, planning, foreseeing etc. The 'minister' line is supposed to 'aid' the ruler, not take over. The overall nature of 14 is such that it is easy to become 'overbearing' if in a minister position in that 14 covers being the centre of guidance, setting a direction (the hexagram trigrams can be read as "with perseverence (heaven lower) comes setting a direction (ideology etc - fire top)"

clarissa

visitor
Reaction score
So, if I'm understanding you correctly...

One is in a position where it's a good idea to adopt let's say....a neutral posture. You know, just do your own thing and don't worry about competing with those around you?

What do you mean it's "mapped to hex 16"?

lightofdarkness

(deceased)
Reaction score
One is in a position where the context is encouraging 'hexagram 14' behaviour - the proactive setting of direction/profitable development. 14.4 covers this behaviour in the context of what line position 4 represents - the senior minister to the ruler.

If you are filled with the spirit of 14, but in a position of service then the spirit of 14 can come across to others as being an attempt to move beyond one's station ;-) - too much enthusiasm, too many plans etc (move to 43, the next hexagram in the binary sequence and we get into hard core 'spreading the word' - self promotion etc)

Thus there is warning - you are in a competitive context (heaven base trigram) so one needs to be careful of how one performs when in a position of service.... I suppose it can get into issues of court politics etc.

As for 16 - see my comments in the link I supplied re line position 'natures'. TO bring out the nature of a line, its actualisation rather than potential, take hexagram 02 - the symbol of potentials, and 'activate' that line. Here we activate line 4 to give us hexagram 16. The generic qualities of line 4 position are associated with the qualities of hex 16. The single line position mappings are:

line 6 - hex 23
line 5 - hex 08
line 4 - hex 16
line 3 - hex 15
line 2 - hex 07
line 1 - hex 24

Thus line position 5 reflects properties described by analogy to hex 08 - a 'passive' centre that is attracting, as the king/court attracts people to the court, not the court to the people.

If we just actualise positions 2 and 5 we get hexagram 29 which deals with containment and control - issues covered by both line position 2 and 5 - the supervisor role associated with line 2, and the kingly role associated with line 5.

... and so line 1 touches on issues of returning/beginning, relates to 24, as line 6 touches on issues of spiritual development/preferences/dangers etc - issues covered in 23.

Chris.

lightofdarkness

(deceased)
Reaction score
BTW hexagram 14 has its 'skeletal' form described by analogy to under-played qualities of hexagram 32 - commitment. IOW the 'soul' of 14 deals with commitment etc. that is actualised in the particular nature of 14.

see for 14 its full spectrum listed in:

http://members.iimetro.com.au/~lofting/myweb/lofting/x101111.html

..and for 32:

http://members.iimetro.com.au/~lofting/myweb/lofting/x001110.html

Since 32 describes the skeletal form of 14, so 32.4 can be the skeletal form of 14.4:

32 - Line 4
"The fields without wildlife. [to be committed to an ideal serves no purpose if it is in fact lifeless. Contemplate first.]."

This would go along with the vibe of 14.4 about being 'unconditionally' pushy etc and so there is no purpose in the action and one is encouraged to think before one acts.

(note I said 32.4 can be .... there is still work to be done in fleshing all of this out since we do cover 64 possible line positions in a hexagram, not just 6 - however so far it seems to 'fit' ;-))

Chris.

clarissa

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Chris,

Got it! You explained that very well.

My actual reading involved lines 3, 4 and 5 leading to 61. So, the generic qualities of line 3 are associated with the qualities of 15, modesty. Modest with one's great possession...correct? So, we have for my reading:

Line 3 - modest with one's great possession, being able to offer
Line 4 - not too annoyingly eager, staying in one's place etc.
Line 5 - passively attracting via sincerity

leading to 61 which is all about truth, sincerity etc.

Very interesting.

Question: I'm not clear on how you determined that 32 is the skeletal form of 16.

lightofdarkness

(deceased)
Reaction score

lightofdarkness

(deceased)
Reaction score
Clarissa - umm -- I stated 32 is the skeletal form of 14.

From the universal perspective, the IC is a closed system, all is linked together. By understanding how the brain deals with whole/part interactions I have been able to figure out how to extract the connections of all hexagrams being expressed THROUGH one hexagram.

See the material on XOR-ing and line positions in http://members.iimetro.com.au/~lofting/myweb/icstruct.html .... where IT will also reference http://members.iimetro.com.au/~lofting/myweb/linemean.html

EACH hexagram has 64 'aspects' all sourced in the influence of all hexagrams (including itself). The commonest example I use is hex 27 with its focus on 'something' new and so all bone in need of meat and muscle (or a building with no fittings etc). If you XOR 27 with ANY hexagram you will get the description of the 27-ness of that hexagram by analogy to a third.

e.g. 27 XOR 01 = 28 and so the core, general, skeletal form of 01 is 'excess', too much yang.

For 14 we XOR it with 27 to give us 32. These pairs work in reverse, as 32 describes the skeletal form of 14, so 14 describes the skeletal form of 32.

Skeletal here means to UNDER exaggerate qualities - it is like hex 23 where its under-exaggerated description is 'housekeeper/housekeeping'. Its OVER-exaggerated description is of the high priest/priestess 'tidying-up' the one 'true' faith etc etc. and so avoiding collapse.

In the middle is the position of consolidating one's faith by a particular focus of devotion (Conditional focus, as compared to the unconditional focus on devotion to another represented in 02)

Chris.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).