...life can be translucent

Menu

Question about crossline omens

clarissa

visitor
Reaction score
I recently asked "what about x happening?" and I received....

42.2.3 -> 9

...which sounds incredibly positive. According to what I read here from Stephen Karcher...the crossline omens for this reading would be

Interestingly enough, I received 41.4 a few weeks ago when I asked about this issue using a slightly different phrasing. However, I'm trying to understand exactly what the crossline omens mean. How are we to understand them? Mr. Karcher was speaking about 41 representing the inspiring phases and 42 representin the manifestation phase.

yly2pg1

visitor
Reaction score
If you can phrase the question, say the "crossline omen" btw 41 and 42?

Could there be a trend or pattern between the pairs below?

41.1 <-> 42.6
41.2 <-> 42.5 (crossline?)
41.3 <-> 42.4 (crossline?)
41.4 <-> 42.3
41.5 <-> 42.2
41.6 <-> 42.1

yly2pg1

visitor
Reaction score
Also:

Earth 41.2<->42.5 Heaven
Man 41.3<->42.4 Man

You have the processes from Earth <-> Man <-> Heaven.

Earth 42.2<->41.5 Heaven
Man 42.3<->41.4 Man

You have the processes from Heaven <-> Man <-> Earth

yly2pg1

visitor
Reaction score
Back to the question:
What is x-happening?

If you are able to look at both side of the stories of x-happening, probably:

One side of the scenario is:
42.2.3 -> 9
(Earth <-> Man)

The other side of the scenario may be:
41.4.5 ->10
(Man <-> Heaven)

yly2pg1

visitor
Reaction score
BTW, this is the crosslines you refer to, not the ones mentioned above:

41.4 <-> 42.3
41.5 <-> 42.2

clarissa

visitor
Reaction score
Yl,

Thank you for your input. My question, "What about x happening?" was basically a yes/no question. I don't know if this is a proper way to question the Yi. The answer does seem very positive though.

When you say "both sides of the story"...you mean...how event X is perceived from two different points of view? Given the event I had in mind...that does seem to make sense.

kevin

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Clarissa

Crossline Omen is a phrase coined by Stephen Karcher.

They are different from the Fanyao of LiSe / Bradford fame.

Yli2pg1 describes the Fanyao in her last post above. I am not sure of either Brad?s or LiSe?s current thinking on them. For me they are an important energy loop and there are many in the Yijing. I do not use them in divination but look at them as a way of shedding light on the two hexagrams and four lines involved. The flip flop of the energy here is, for me from the inspiring hexagram of the pair (the odd numbered one) to the manifesting hexagram of the pair (the even numbered one) and from the inner world of the lower trigram to the outer world of the upper trigram.

Letting ones mind run around the loop in meditation has the wonderful double flip and gives me the same feeling of trying to run my mind around an imagined mobius strip. However it is far more interesting
happy.gif

Back to Crossline Omens? I use these a lot and find them to be very powerful in divination.

I understand that Stephen?s current thinking is that one takes each changing line in turn.

Look up the hexagram it leads to find the relating line in that new pair then the line in that new hexagrams pair which will take you back to the pair of the primary hexagram. There are inconsistencies in some hexagrams so you may want to use the Maps Hilary has available on this site.

http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/practical_I_Ching/advanced.html

Look fo the two 'map' links on this page - they are free to download)

When you have the four Hexagram lines written out you start at the lowest of the primary or relating hexagram and work to the highest. This is the path of change as represented in your reading.

(Sorry it is so hard to explain this if you are interested I will clarify any point.)

I know what I am saying here is different from the Total I Ching? He has done a lot work on this idea and his thinking has developed.

I will lay this out for your question in another post in a few minutes

--Kevin

kevin

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Clarisa these are your Crossline omens? as per SK.

42.2.3 > 9

41.5 [61.5 : 61.2] 42.2

41.4 [38.4 : 37.3] 42.3

They are always written and followed from the lower hexagram number to the greater hexagram number. The logic for this is that the general flow through the King Wen sequence is in that direction. (This is SK?s view).

He refers to these as ?secret pathways?. I was sceptical about them at first, however I used them for a while and found them very good indeed.

The way to work with them is to read each of the four lines in the order given as if it were a route that is open for you to travel.

The question for you is whether these two paths are one after another as in Steps of Change or Time Sequence or represent different movements.

Anyway I hope this helps.

--Kevin

kevin

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Oops

No the Fanyao would be:

42.2 - 42.5 - 41.5 - 41.2

and

42.3 - 42.4 - 41.4 - 41.3

Sorry I was not paying proper attention!

I think there is something on LiSe's site about it... or do a search here - she wrote quite a bit about it as did Brad.

I have not found a divinatory use for it but as I said above it is very interesting and helpful when looking at the relationships of the lines and hexagrams.

--Kevin

clarissa

visitor
Reaction score
Kevin..

So, for example with...

42.2 - 42.5 - 41.5 - 41.2

...read 41.2 first..then 41.5...then 42.5 etc?

bradford_h

(deceased)
Reaction score
Hi-
Just for clarification -
The fan yao are for examining the meanings of the lines and their texts, not for divination. I think there are indications that the Yi authors used this dimension when writing the texts. The term is my coinage and means "the line coming back". The pairs often share terminology, moods, etc, and can often help to explain each other. Crossline Omens are Stephen's invention.

kevin

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Clarissa

No - That is the Fanyao - See my comments above. Fanyao is not a divinatory tool but contemplating them can shed light on the dynamics taking place at that position in a pair.

Brad sees it a little more cautiously - perhaps? - See his post above.

The Crossline Omen as per SK is a divinatory tool and one which I find very effective.

Here it is:

41.5 [61.5 : 61.2] 42.2

41.4 [38.4 : 37.3] 42.3

41.5 leads to 61.5 then the diagonal crossover to 61.2 which leads to 42.2.

The easy way of working these out Is to yake the hexagram where the original moving line takes you? in this case 61. The exact line is the line which would return you to the original hexagram? in this case 61.5.

Now start at the other end and find the line in the pair of the original hexagram (42) which takes you to the pair of the first transitional hexagram ? 61.

It all seems a little difficult at first but remember you are generating two pairs one across the outside and a pair in the middle.

Then you read the lines left to right.

Try it on a couple of old readings where you know the outcome? see if it works for you.

Those maps I gave you a link to make the process a lot easier.

Any good?

--Kevin

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
You say 'invention', I say 'discovery'...
happy.gif

There are enough places where the crosslines are very obviously related to make me think that connections may be intended even where they're not so obvious.

At all events, I find it helps to walk round the 'pathway' and contemplate what this might be pushing towards/fuelling (going from 41.2 to 42.5, for instance), or looking back towards what might be its genesis, or maybe a prerequisite (looking from 42.5 to 41.2).

I think the fan yao lead further into something more subjective/emotional: what the experience feels like or how you might see it.

The number of 'might's and 'maybe's in this post probably proves something.

clarissa

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin...

I went through the lines. Well, all I can say is...this is one nice answer. Of course, I don't know the outcome but I'll report back. What's interesting is that it's about people meeting each other...which is what the question was about.

Obviously this doesn't work with only one line moving
happy.gif
I tried it on an old reading in which I knew the answer. Unfortunately, there is no line in 45 that leads to 11
happy.gif
The reading was 45.6 -> 12

kevin

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
happy.gif

I look forward to the outcome and wish you the best with it.

11 is not everything... lol... How boring life would be!

But it is there:

(45.6 [12.6 : 11.1] 46.1)

Try this for an interpretation:
Things seem blocked now, but you will soon have cause to rejoice. The obstruction you feel is toppling. Go back and accept the challenge, for it is time to get this great endeavor off the ground. Find people of worth you really belong with. Put things in order. Proceed step by step.

All the best

--Kevin

clarissa

visitor
Reaction score
Kevin,

I must have been really tired last night. <grin> I followed the line through and yes, it does seem to make sense. However, in this one I used the fan yao to help me predict the outcome:

The reading...45.6 -> 12...was regarding a problem with my financial aid. It was being held up and when I asked about it the woman there told me that I was being selected for "verification". I didn't like the sound of that. I had to fill out some additional paperwork etc. I asked, "What's happening with my financial aid?" and received this answer....

Well, 45.6 DOES speak of "lamenting and sighing"...and that was exactly what I was doing. I was running around shouting, "What if I don't get it???!!!!" etc. It lead to 12 which I felt was my current situation...standstill. However, the fan yao was the standstill ending...and 45.6 seemed to show that. So, I predicted that everything would be OK...and it was. The standstill ended.

My question about 45.6 is this:

Wilhelm's commentary speaks about someone who has been misunderstood...and that this is the reason for the lamenting. Is that your experience with the line. It does seem to make sense in this case.

kevin

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Clarissa

Yes we all get tired and miss things
sad.gif

I have thought long and hard about your question.

Are you having having difficulty seeing the difference between Fanyao and Crossline Omens?

I have said quite a lot in the posts above.

When the above settles with you? that is you might go with the Crossline Omens or against? it does not matter? then I would be happy to say more about methods of looking at particular line texts.

Respectfully I would suggest that studying the Yi is not a gallop through process? it takes some concentration and a lot of reflection.

There are methods of looking at text very different from ones opinions about the possible textual meaning that the limited English translations are able to offer.

I would be happy to discuss these with you when you have worked through (accepted or rejected) the ideas I have already suggested.

Why not try the Crossline omen method on the line in question?

Don't hang on to the text words but feel the immages emerge the weeping and wailing.... the gatherring of great things idea and the idea that it is not a mistake... place these ideas in the images the flow of the Crossline Omen generates.

Tell me what you see.

--Kevin

clarissa

visitor
Reaction score
"I would be happy to discuss these with you when you have worked through (accepted or rejected) the ideas I have already suggested."

Kevin, I'm not looking for an I Ching guru. I don't believe in "Masters", "Spiritual teachers" or going to some dirty third-world country to "find myself" on top of a mountain. I want to know if the Yi works as a predictive tool. If it doesn't, I don't have any use for it and all of this is just a lot of mental masturbation. What you have that I don't regarding the Yi is experience using it...and that's what I'm trying to tap...nothing else.

J

jesed

Dear Clarissa

Yi Jing does works as a predictive tool (example. In www.e-ching.com, I publically predicted the year and month of death of Catholic Pope)

But, as traditional teachings says (the Ta Chuan): You can study the text, but if you are not the right person...

Best wishes

clarissa

visitor
Reaction score
"But, as traditional teachings says (the Ta Chuan): You can study the text, but if you are not the right person..."

So far it has worked for me as a predictive tool...so I must be the "right" person. However, one can't make predictions without understanding the text.

J

jesed

by the way... right now the actual Catholic Pope (Ratzinger) is in a strong tendence to die next summer (months snake or horse of 2006) despite a surgery at the end of 2005.

But, of course: Acoording with traditional teachings, there is NO written future, just a tendece.

J

jesed

Hi Clarissa

Actually, you CAN make predictions (even better ones) without studying the texts... whit the Xiang Shu Yi Xue method...

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Going back a few posts, Clarissa - one thing I can guarantee is that Kevin isn't offering to be anybody's guru, I Ching or otherwise. His 'experience using it' suggests (as mine does) that taking the imagery on board and waiting to see what emerges works well.

Would you be interested in Yi as anything more than a predictive tool?

clarissa

visitor
Reaction score
"Would you be interested in Yi as anything more than a predictive tool?"

You mean as some kind of spiritual guide? No...because I don't think that's what the Yi is. I'm interested in seeing if it's useful in a very pragmatic way.

clarissa

visitor
Reaction score
That Saddam example was interesting. I wonder why this particular technique hasn't caught on in the West?

See...I think the future is already set. Our lives are all about kismet and free will is an illusion. The question is...can we somehow tap into it and get a glimpse of what will be?

J

jesed

Even in this method.. the future is NOT already set. But I undertand is more closed to your point of view (wich I respect)

Hope you can get the book of Raymond Lo; is quite simple for a first step

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).