...life can be translucent

Menu

Views about Hex 37 The Family

hitchhiker

visitor
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering what you think this hexagram might mean. It came up as a single answer to my question: "What is my future in [my home country]?"

You see, I'm going away at the end of the year to study and hopefully work abroad later as there seem to be few opportunities for me at home. The Yi's answer to my question may seem obvious: family=home, etc, but I would still appreciate any insight you might have.

Thank you!
hh

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Was that 'single answer' as in 'no changing lines'?

An unchanging hexagram can indicate the shape of something where there will actually be no activity or change, as you've already decided to take another course. A snapshot in the album rather than film still running.

One of the meanings of #37 is the way home defines how you see the world - it acts as your mental framework, and it orientates you. The implication might also be that this is fixed, so you take it with you. Your home country has a future in you, as it were.

chrislofting

(deceased)
Reaction score
hi hh,

the generic quality of hexagram 37 is that of tension release through rigid structure. It uses the concept of the family as analogy where everyone has their place - first son as first son, third daughter as third daughter, and so on. This structure ensures no tension, no competition.

In the binary sequence of the I Ching hexagram 37 is opposed by hexagram 40. The tension release theme is constant but the format is opposite in that in 40 the focus is on relaxation of structure - as a thunderstorm 'releases' the smothering of summer heat.

In the binary sequence hexagram 37 pairs with hexagram 63 and so a notion of 'completion' as 'closure' (40 pairs with 64 that reflects more a focus on 'openess')

In the traditional sequence 37 pairs with 38 - 38 deals with opposition but more so the use of mirroring, letting others see themselves in you, as a way of dealing with any opposition. This 'mirroring' reflects (!) the focus on social structure to ensure 'harmony'.

Without details on line changes etc we can interpret your question in a context of 37 as 'find your place' or 'you will be required to find your place' - once there all tension is reduced ;-)

Chris.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).