...life can be translucent

Menu

Quite confusing

hope

visitor
Reaction score
Sometimes I find I-Ching can be quite confusing. Whenever I ask a question, I seems to get double meaning like one of the trigram said yes then when it changes it says no. It's kinda confusing for me.

Does anyone has this kind of feeling too?

nicky_p

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Hope,

I used to get this when I asked 'yes/no' questions then I signed up to Hilary's I Ching course (which is really good btw Hilary, thank you). I also read in another book I borrowed (so I don't have the titles, sorry)that says that an unbroken yang line is 'yes' and a broken ying line is 'no'. Howe'ver as there are 6 lines you're likely end up with an answer that can end up as eg
h6.gif
a resounding yes, yes, yes but no, but yes, but no!
(I opened my I Ching book right at hex 6 conflict! Describes perfectly!)

I changed my q's and things did start to make some more sense. And when it's still confusing people here are extremely generous and helpfull!

Love
Nicky
xx

J

jesed

Hi Hope

You could find useful clarify your understanding of the relationship between primary hexagrams, changing lines and related (second) hexagrams.

According with traditional teaching, the core of the answer is always in primary hexagram.

All others hexagrams (second/tendential... hidden... and so on) won't change the core answer, but points to particular lights of the answer.

Best wishes

hope

visitor
Reaction score
Hello all. Ok this is what I find confusing. I ask I-Ching 'How is this person going to affect me' and I received 5.2 and 5.3.

It's like on one hand I-ching is asking me to wait for the right time to talk this person for 5.2 and yet on 5.3 it seems to be telling me it is dangerous to wait as an enemy is coming soon.

The the whole trigram changed to 3 which is even more confusing. It's like saying if I want to talk to this person it will take time but it will be very difficult but in the end I will succeed.

The confusion here is time. How long? How do I know when the time is right?

Looks to me like both the trigram is not favourable and this person is not worth my time at all. Yet 5.2 tells me otherwise. That is what I find confusing.

Thank you all.

jte

visitor
Reaction score
Hope, not sure if this pertains precisely to your question, but it may have some bearing, so reposting it for you...

I think there's 3 main ways you can look at contradictory lines, generally.

1. They represent different situations, different people, or separate sub-aspects of a situation and/or the answer from the Yi.

For this, I would suggest you try to distinguish the different "threads" in the situation and react to each appropriately and somewhat independently.

2. Aspects of each line are "blended" into the situation; you can think of this sort of like a musical chord (and thanks to Bruce for that particular metaphor :) ).

In my view, to cope effectively, your reaction to the situation might also be a "blend" of factors. Kind of like good parenting: sometimes a little "tough love" is what's needed. But that doesn't mean there isn't love.

3. The moving lines build a relating hex; the relationship between the main hex and relating hex is the main message, so don't worry overmuch about the particulars of the moving lines.

For this, I'd suggest basing your reaction on considering the overall relationship between the hexes and the message that relationship carries, rather than any particular lines.

FYI, I use all three styles of interpretation, depending on the question/situation and what I think the "message" of the reading is.

In terms of when to use each style of interpretation, I think it's fair to say "it just depends." Or, more precisely, the meaning of the answer provided by (often seemingly contradictory) changing lines depends on the question, the circumstances, what the Yi is trying to say to you, and your preferred interpretation style(s).

One other thing, regarding ambiguities in individual line meanings, I think that part of what the Yi does is use ambiguity to help you understand a situation more fully, so that you learn from it. For example, Hexagram 4, Line 6 shows one "striking the ignorant" - but this also shows a person who is him/herself at the height of ignorance - by using violence when it's unwarranted.

- Jeff

- search retrieval text -

J

jesed

Hi Hope

But you didn't ask "should i talk with this person?"

In the way I see it: Yi Jing is asking you to wait, recover good humor (hexagram 5) and only then try to resolve chaos about the issue (hexagram 3)

Best wishes

M

micheline

HOw is this person going to affect me?"

5.2.3 : It is too soon to tell..a time of patience is required.
In line 2,
You are told to wait on the sand , beside the river, not entering yet. Observe, dont become active
line 3 warns you not to get all bogged by expectation or obsessions about desired results. this could get you stuck in angst(the danger).too much thinking weighs you down...no flow

so wait patiently, stay at the sand line
and remain open to what may develop.

3 ...this is just the beginning of something. again, remain open and teachable.
Something will happen... but at this stage is too hard to discern. things are still just beginning to form

hope

visitor
Reaction score
Hello all. It is indeed insightful to be able to read everyone's reply. Thank you.

But I have some other questions regarding the texts of I-Ching which are just as confusing. Like for instance when the I-Ching says 'For three years he cannot....' or 'Forego friends from the east and north....' or 'You can find friends in the west and south' or maybe even this 'one need to use two sacrificial bowl'. Do we really take the text literarily. Does that really mean I have to purchase two sacrificial bowl to use?

How should I interpret it?

jte

visitor
Reaction score
Hi, Hope -

Wow, you sure have a tall order to fill there.

One thing you might do is use this forum's search function (there's a link on the left side) to search for postings on these various topics and see what the accumulated wisdom (musings? ... rantings? ;-) ) of Clarity has to say on these phrases and other topics of interest.

It might also be easier for folks to comment anew if you post asking about one specific topic at a time in it's own new thread. You might save that for after the searching though...

Also useful to keep in mind that *definitive* answers are quite tough to come by when it comes to the Yi...

Much love,

- Jeff

hope

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Jte,

Sorry if I sounded greedy. Those are just some of the examples that I discover from the I-Ching passage and am really wondering do we take them literally as it really does seem very confusing.

I'll take your advice and do a search again but it didn't came up anything.

If anyone could gladly add or share their thoughts regarding some of these confusion here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all and peace to all

M

micheline

Hope, the phrases might be literal, but just as often symbolic...nudging your intuition.

'3 years' meaning a "length of time",
a sacrificial bowl meaning perhaps an 'offering', "a sacred empty space (to be filled)"...

let the imagery cook in your cauldron, the yi will speak to you in symbols...

it can speak to you on many levels

R

rosada

Good morning, Hope,

You've received a lot of good advice here. To add a bit more..
One of the original uses for the oracle was receiving guidance for fenf shui, that is, for discerning the flow of chi in order to build in the most auspicious locations. Each trigram was associated with a direction. For example K'an is associated with the North and therefore has the attribute of being cold. Li is for the South and represents heat. Many ot the interpretations only make sence when we recognize the feng shui connection. Hexagram 2 for example says "forego friends in the east and north." One might think this is meant as a warning against such friends, but actually it is a referance to feng shui which reveals that energies in the east/north area are best for solitude and study. Thus in arranging a house one might put their school age child in the east/north bedroom.
Although usually we have to use our intuition to grasp its guidance, the curious thing about the IChing, though, is how often the specific symbolism will manefest literally. Three uninvited guests DO arrive, and if not a golden carriage, someone drives up in a yellow car etc.
I find the biggest help in learning the IChing is to try very sincerely to figure out the hexagrams and to later see if you can match what actually did happen with what was foretold. In this way you seem to develope a relationship with IC and you will find the guidance becomes more and more clear. I have several translations and what frequently amazes me is how I will say, "Okay, I am going to ask the question as use this volume to read the answer." and I'll get a very specific and helpful answer which, had I looked in another translation, the reading would have been very unclear. Point is, the more familiar you are with the text over all the clearer your answers become. A good beginning exercise is to memorize the order of the hexagrams and see if you can understand why they would be in this particular sequence. (Wilhelm in the second half gives a very helpful comment about the sequence with each hexagram). Think of this as programing your inner computer.

Rosada

cguleff

visitor
Reaction score
Hope,

Thank you for posting your questions here -- these are very good questions. It sounds like you're using one of the traditional translations of the I Ching. I might suggest getting one or more interpretive translations to go along with the one you're using. Some are listed in the resources section on this website. I especially like Stephen Karcher's editions because he explains a lot of the symbolism and the myth and ritual of ancient China, along with good interpretations.

I use kind of an intuitional approach in my interpretations. By consulting a traditional translation and several others, I find that I can gain greater insight into a reading. Sometimes the footnotes or explanations in various translations can help, too.

Using the I Ching involves a continual learning process, even after many years of use. Hope you find the process is as rewarding for you as it has been for me.

Best Wishes,

Chris

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).