...life can be translucent

Menu

Hexagrams 7 and 8

wanderer

visitor
Reaction score
The I Ching espouses a theory of how the universe works. It can be considered for everything from the microscopic to the cosmic. Of course some correspondences can never be known. On the smallest levels, various theories have been brought forth over history. The current one being considered is string theory. On the largest level, we have so many theories that it would be difficult to count. Whether the concepts of the I Ching strike a chord of deep meaning to you is for you to decide.

So starting with the microscopic, the individual, the family, society, the world (and everything in it), and the cosmic itself, all things follow the same process. So each hexagram has many different meanings. The Army, hex 7, has multiple meanings. The obvious meaning is a reference to war. Here a strong leader draws men around him to fight for some cause. If the leader is true, and the cause is just, then a wrong can be righted. If the leader is not true, then men will not willingly join. If the cause is not just, then nothing good can happen. In the history of the world I doubt seriously if there has ever been a leader who went to war without thinking that his cause was just. But as we know, the mind is very convincing.

On the individual level, The Army refers to the rise of what is translated as ?The Higher Self ?. Here we find the rise of conscience. Our Higher Self takes control of our ?childish self?.
As a child we tend to think about what we want. As a teen we have all sorts of impulses. If those impulses are given full rein then society becomes unmanageable. At that time, in the successful maturing of an individual, conscience takes control. This is the rise of ?a strong man? within.

This change in the life of a human can not be done by force. If a person is forced through coercion, then rebellion takes place. If one the other hand, we give up free rein of our impulses, then the harnessed impulses are productive. It is important to keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with the impulses themselves. They are as natural as can be. It is just that in the development of the Higher Self, these impulses must be controlled.

At the next level we have socialization. Here the needs, wants and the impulses of the individual are controlled by the strength of society. Again if the society is strong and asks what is right, then the individuals agree willingly. If there is force involved, then the individual rebels. It would seem that we would have learned this lesson over time, but it is equally clear that we have not.

On the cosmic level, we have human?s relation with God. God of course always has the proper attitude. It is up to us to learn to follow willingly. Not as easy as it sounds.

Hexagram 8, Holding Together, continues the process of socialization. On the individual level, we have started the process of holding together with our Higher Self. All our impulses, the broken-yielding lines are held together by the one strong line. We are not in a strong position, yet we have made our start toward becoming a better person. We are told that there is only one Higher Self. We must ask ourselves whether each thought and impulse comes from this one Higher Self, or from our Childish Self. At this stage in our development it may not always be clear. It is very easy to become confused.

At the societal level we are asked to consider whether we are a strong leader. If we are, then it is right to stand up and lead. If we are not, it is right to find someone who is strong to follow. There is nothing wrong with following. There is nothing wrong with leading. Both are necessary and right. Problems only arise when the weak lead, and when the strong fail to step forward.

How is one to know? We are advised to ask again. This simply means that if we take the proper attitude toward ?The Sage? (or the cosmic) then we will be shown the answer. In other words, if we give up on what we desire or want, and get in touch with what is, we will be given our answer. If we let our desires be in charge, then we will be led by the weak and no good can come.

In hex 7, six in the beginning talks of the correct beginning. It is necessary for a strong leader (Higher Self) to take charge and control the demanding of the volunteers (lower self). If the beginnings are true, then there is prospect for a great success. If the beginnings are deceitful in any way, then the fruits will not mature in the proper way. This is linked to hex 19, Approach which speaks of a hopeful time when there is a great prospect for success. There is of course a warning attached also, that though the prospects are good, great care needs to be taken to move forward.

Nine in the second place speaks of the absolute need for the leader (Higher Self) to control in the right way. It is not always easy to sacrifice one?s needs. But to accomplish anything, one must sublimate desires for the greater good of the whole. A good leader makes this clear to his troops, and thus acquires their willing co-operation. It is in the willing co-operation that success is assured. This is linked to hex 2, Reception. If the Creative is truly creative, then the world will be receptive to it. The Higher Self finds willing helpers.

Six in the third place tells of trouble in the ranks. The position of our Higher Self has been usurped by one of our many lower selves. Our desires and needs have overshadowed the higher good. It does no good to banish the offender. The offender is speaking from a legitimate perspective, just not one that has the whole army as his best interest. We must, by being strong, convince the offender to willingly give up his insistence on ruling. If we can accomplish this we can ?bury? the desire and go forward. This is linked to hex 46, Pushing Upwards, which speaks of success through modesty and adaptability. In this way we can deal with the wants and needs of our lower self.

Six in the fourth place talks of retreat. We are up against a hopeless situation. Our army is not equipped to handle the situation either due to being outnumbered, outflanked, or disorganization. To proceed in such a situation is not bravery. To retreat in such a situation is not cowardly. It serves us well to look honestly at the situation, regroup, and increase our strength before engaging the battle. In this way we can reach hex 40, Deliverance where we can again move forward, either by reconciliation or battle. By retreating one finds the wisdom to know which is best.

Six in the fifth place speaks of a time when battle is necessary. We must fight for what is right for right to prevail. We can not allow our lower self to control the situation. Our lower self can not simply be cajoled or placated. We must draw the line. Yet we can not go too far. ?Do not cut off one?s nose to spite one?s face.? We have to be strong and decisive but not mean and vindictive. This is linked to hex 29, The Abysmal Water, which talks of the proper way to deal with danger. Danger serves a function, to keep us safe, yet it provides a challenge also. By dealing with danger in the correct way, we both progress and heal.

Six at the top speaks of the successful conclusion of the battle. We have indeed won the war, but that is not the end of things. If we have done so correctly, then great success is achieved. But if we have used inappropriate means to have won, we must ?pay them off? and thus rid ourselves of them. This is linked with hex 4, Youthful Folly, which speaks of the difference between seeking the truth and pretending to seek the truth (and not listening). It is time for careful recollection of exactly what did happen.

In hex 8, six at the Beginning, touts sincerity as the one and only way to come together with others. We tend to resist this advice on a daily basis. We are continually trying to pretend we are who we think that someone wants us to be. Of course this is truer for some than for others, but it is true for everyone to some extent. It is not hard to see logically how this can not work. We know that any credit that we achieve for being someone we are not, really is not credit for us. Yet it is so seductive. This is linked to Hex 3, Difficulty at the Beginning. A friendship is the beginning of social conduct. At that stage, almost anything is possible. We can be whatever we want to be. But by simply being ourselves, we do not have to remember who we are pretending to be. This is dangerous in that if rejected, we may be rejected for who we really are. But the rewards are great too. For if we are loved, we are also loved for who we really are.

Six in the second place speaks of keeping true to ones Higher Self. If one speaks and acts from what is right, then no matter what the short term outcome, one will always be on the right path. If on the other hand one acts from self interest, then one loses one?s way. This is linked to hex 29, which again speaks of danger. If one approaches danger in the right way, one is protected. If one approaches danger in the wrong way, disaster.

Six in the third place, speaks of the seduction of wrong ideas. Short term desires, whether with people or ideas, are pleasant in the moment, but lead nowhere. It is often pleasurable to find the approval of others, or to experience the joys of excitement. But often what seems likes a short dalliance turns into a long stay. We do not need to unduly punish ourselves for these detours, but we do need to get back on the path. This is linked to hex 39, Obstruction which shows us the way to get back onto the path.

Six in the fourth place refers to a situation that is good and true. We have made a connection that furthers our path. It is right to follow that path openly and honestly. It is right to demonstrate openly our affinity for this friendship. It is positive to extend this friendship to like-minded others. This is linked to hex 45, Gathering Together, which is the correct path for like-minded individuals.

Nine in the fifth place speaks of being strong in oneself and letting others choose whether to join us or not. If we take care of our own business, then others will either be drawn to us, or leave of their own accord. If we do this, we know that they have come willingly. It does not necessarily mean that they have come always for the right reason though. That we need to decipher later. If on the other hand we make a big show of our worth, we can never know if people are drawn by our worth or the show. This line is linked with The Receptive, which is completely Yin. This demonstrates the correct attitude toward the cosmic, and the correct attitude of those who would join our Higher Self.

Six at the top refers to the correct time. Opportunities do come and go, and we are forever given opportunities. But if one appears and we, out of fear, do not accept it, then we have only regrets after it is gone. God is always available to us. We can choose God at any time. Yet there are times when we are aware of the possibility. At those times it is important to choose correctly. We can never know whether that opportunity will come again soon. I had a friend who is an alcoholic, sober for many years. She often said ?I know I have another drunk in me. I just don?t know if I have another recovery in me.? This is linked to hex 20, Contemplation or View, which talks of the watchtowers. Moments like this allow us to see far, but they also tell us where we are. These are the signposts of our life.

midaughter

visitor
Reaction score
Sorry, I am not familiar with this idea. Do you have a source or is this personal insight?

"On the individual level, The Army refers to the rise of what is translated as ?The Higher Self ?. Here we find the rise of conscience. Our Higher Self takes control of our ?childish self?. "

PS I am still reading your posting. Wilhelm-Baynes also equates the hexagram with a volcano as the image, something seething with great pressure within. If it weren't the new moon, I would think of a vampire.

Sun

wanderer

visitor
Reaction score
What i have written, and continue to write is a combination of all that I have read and thought in consideration of what I have read. I feel certain that the reference to conscience as "the strong leader organizing the followers" as a metaphor for our Higher Self controling the wants and desires of our lesser self, was from some source, possibly Carol Anthony. But I doubt that it is precisely the way it was written. It does seem accurate to me though and has the feel of something truthful.

midaughter

visitor
Reaction score
Well, then, wonderful! Discipline it is, mastery of the self.

wanderer

visitor
Reaction score
There is a story about a farmer who goes to a great teacher/holyman and says that he has been a farmer all is life and now feels that at the end of his time that he would like to become more spiritually aware. The teacher gives him a mantra to say thirty minutes in the morning and thirty minutes in the evening. The mantra translated is "God is great". A year later the farmer returns just beaming with love and energy. He says that the mantra has changed his life. That he had no idea that saying "Cow is great" could make such a difference. The teacher is at first horrified. He says "no, no, not cow is great, its God is great", the two words sounding very much alike. Then the teacher sees the look of disappointment on the farmers face and says "But for you we will make a special mantra, Cow is great".

When I first heard that story, I laughed of course. But now that I am writing about the I Ching I realize that I could easily be like that farmer. I could easily find resonance in a mistaken idea and write about it. But I also realize that it is not whether my ideas are in concert with the ideas of the writers, but that they resonate within me. I realize that I am basically no different than any of the great (and lesser) people who have found inspiration from I Ching, and what resonates in me is not more or less important than what resonated in any other person.

gene

visitor
Reaction score
Hexagram 7 comes on the heels of hexagram 6. When conflict is not resolved, as in the sixth line of 6, then war is usually the next step. Conflict can be within or without. Ultimately, conflict without, however, is the result of conflict within. Man is divided against himself. The result of war, with ourselves or others, is disintegration, or disunion. (Perhaps one carries corpses in the wagon.) Therefore, after war, the struggle, amidst the disunion, is to recreate union. We must reunite the fragmented forces. There will be some of course, that will not go along with the new order. They are allowed to go their own way. In hexagram 7, union is created by force. In 8, union is created by the force of a caring personality. There is a slight analogy here to hexagram 49 and 50, where in 49 the revolution is carried out, and in 50 we have the new order. Also, 43 and 44. In 43 the last of the enemy is ultimately driven out, and in 44 we have a new coupling. (This pairing can also be read as the attempt to drive out the enemy, and 44 as a failure to do so, and a tendency to allow the enemy to thrive, thinking the enemy really is of no threat. All depends on context.) There are many related pairs of hexagrams that add a dimension to other pairs of similar nature.

Gene

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).