...life can be translucent

Menu

Hex 23 changing to 42

suemc

visitor
Reaction score
Hello!

I have never posted to this group before but I've been reading with interest for about 2 months. I've been studying the I Ching for about 3 years now, and I am completely amazed by it's insights and devoted to it's wisdom. I use Wilhelm's text and Carol Anthony's Guide mostly when studying. I also have Alfred Huang's Complete I Ching, which I find helpful.

I need a little help with the question I asked today. I've been a little overwhelmed by family problems and work stress over the past week and so I asked the Sage for help with my depression. I usually seek guidance on next steps out of confusion. I received 23 Splitting Apart, with lines 1 and 5, and 42 Increase. The following response is muddy to me because in 23, the message is clearly Stay Still, Do Not Act, while in 42 it clearly states that this is a good time to Cross The Great Water.

any ideas? Thanks, sue

angel

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Hexagram 23 Splitting Apart means doing away with something/someone that is not beneficial. I consider this hexagram to be an invitation to pass the past and go ahead with time. The way to behave in a time like this, is avoid confrontation and be receptive ( Nuclear and complementary Hex.) You should use this time to replenish your energy but without acting, as you said.

Hexagram 42 Increase seems to be quite promising. Notice that the nuclear hexagram is 23, your primary hexagram. I would say your increase ( crossing the great water, as you said) is affecting by splitting apart the old. In order to increase first you need to do away your family and work problems. Another view for this secondary hexagram would be that increase is what you really want; your own mood. You want to cross the great river NOW.
It is up to you to decide which one fit you best.

Some more advice, Line 5 is telling you again to be receptive and cooperative. Don?t fall into the pit of line 1.
You cannot improve matters now. Save your energy for the right time. From bottom the only way is up.
I hope you are feeling better now. Let us know.
Take care.

Angel

gene

visitor
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Won't make anymore comment of hexagram 23 or 42 as Angel has already done a good job. Speaking of pits however, one time years ago when I was in an extreme and unusual state of depression I asked the I Ching for guidance, and I don't remember the line or hexagram, but the words I will never forget. It said simply, "get out of the pit"

Gene

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).