...life can be translucent

Menu

Hexagram 51

pedro

visitor
Reaction score
Im always a bit confused by #51. I know it means thunder and shock, and what's most important, learning not to let this shock disturb us (so we dont "let fall the sacrificial spoon"). But this meaning has been hard to conciliate with some questions Ive asked.
But then Ive also seen this hexagram translated "sudden change", which then becomes more understandable... For instance, when asking when someone would change her mind, I have gotten this in more than one occasion... seems like this person is going to take a while where nothing seems to happen, and suddenly the change will come overnight.
Do you agree with this other meaning? what do you all think of this?

C

candid

Hi Pedro - I think I understand what you mean. I used to think of 51 as a cymbal crash, but now I also think of it as a drum roll. Not only can it be climactic but it can also be suspenseful and expecting.

pedro

visitor
Reaction score
Hum, I get your point. Like the idea of tension built to a release, when it will come suddenly. Btw, you play drums? Im a bit of a (brazilian) percussion fanatic myself
happy.gif

C

candid

Not much of a drummer, just an ole guitar hacker. But good percussion gets my Santana goin real good! heh heh
shades.gif

gene

visitor
Reaction score
One interesting part of #51 is where it says, "A hundred thousand times you lose your treasures and must climb the nine hills. Do not go in pursuit of them. After seven days you will get them back." One aspect of 51 is dealing with and compensating for loss. In Tai Chi we have a principle called investing in loss. When we do two man push hands practice each person takes turn pushing and the other yields. Then it gets tricky, people can push different ways etc. At any rate, it is the person who can yield best, and act in a manner of non resistance, that ultimately wins. Maybe not that day, but after a period of years of practice, because he has invested in loss. It is also the principle of nonresistance as taught by Jesus. If he slaps you, turn the other cheek. Not what any of us want to do, and if we do, we stand a very good chance of getting slapped on the other cheek. And yet....After the cycle has completed itself, your treasures are returned to you. Something similar is discussed in #38 line 1. It is also said that what is truly yours cannot be taken from you. At least not for long. If it is truly yours, it will come back to you. Knowing this priciple in the heart can bring about a peace of mind not easily accepted or acknowledged by the world at large.

Gene

gene

visitor
Reaction score
By the way. Hexagram 40 is a good one for release after the build up of tension. A lot of hexagrams have a similar detonation, but the connotation is very different.

Gene

pedro

visitor
Reaction score
Gene, I get your point about 51,2. The same idea is in 38,1 as you refer, but also in 63,2 and even 25,4. Its basically that chinese saying, if your horse runs away dont chase it, if he's really yours he'll come back to you
But wise as the advice is, Im not really sure that is one of the primary meanings of 51. I would consider that investment in loss as you so inspiringly put it, to belong more to the deflation of the ego section, where for me 51 is an activity statement, not yielding but quite the oposite, impetuously leading.
Btw, agree with your view of 40, like when preasure builds to a thunderstorm and then the sun shines again

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).