...life can be translucent

Menu

Hexagram structure

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I made a page about the places of the lines, how one can understand the overall picture of a hexagram without getting confused by too many lines and such things.
It is not yet finished. If anyone has comments or things to add or whatever, I would be very happy!

It is here: http://www.anton-heyboer.org/i_ching/index.html

LiSe

C

candid

Whoa! That's very cool, LiSe. Love your examples of heaven and earth, man in middle.

binz

visitor
Reaction score
I like it, but having limited knowledge (and remembering there's no such thing as a stupid question), I have one question and one recommendation.

When you say, for example, line 1 is (k)Hex 24. How do you get the hex for each line?

The second point is a small one of presentation. The text next to the trigram/hexagram table, please consider putting this in the same order as the table/hex's i.e.
line 6 .....
line 5 .....
line 4 ....
etc

cheers

Binz

PS just heard my job may nolonger exist after June, so could be some doors opening for me - time for me to get more familiar with I Ching!
happy.gif

pedro

visitor
Reaction score
Hey LiSe, I had found this ideas of you already on the midaughter list (as I told you there, btw I posted a message with the url of your message, if you'd like to know) and it is really fascinating stuff. Glad you put it on your site, its even better now
happy.gif

pedro

visitor
Reaction score
Btw, although those comments on the lines are great, I dont know if that helps with the matter of multiple lines. You still get confliting messages ocasionally.
See for instance #3 with lines 3 and 6 moving, I got when asking about a very important matter to me, that Im not sure I should still pursue or just give up.
In this case line 3 says I should retreat. The other says there's nothing worse than giving up (this line has a inspiring note in my wilhem saying something like: "he who never rests / whose thoughts long / with body and soul to the impossible / he is the one who wins").
So what should I do?
happy.gif
in this case I go with the 6th line, paying attention to the "seeds" as line 3 recomends, but longing for the impossible (which deep down I KNOW will come)
Another example, same question, got #53 with all lines changing except last. Now 53 is a path, and each line a step along that path. In this case I focus on line 5, which guarantees success, and the other lines are sort of the ladder to get there.
This is all very subjective, so one must deal with each case individually

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
RE Binz: When you say, for example, line 1 is (k)Hex 24. How do you
get the hex for each line?

They are examples. I took the hexes with one yang line, because yang is more visible than yin. With yin examples are possible too, but harder to show. (changed the 'k' too, thanks)

RE Binz: Sequence of the lines, 1 at bottom, 6 at top: done.

RE Pedro: about multiple moving lines.
That is what the rest of the page should be about, but I had not enough time to finish it already.

RE Pedro: About #3 with lines 3 and 6 moving, changing to 37.
In hex.3 the only active lines are 1 and 5, so for a new start one needs directed activity in one?s feet (ie towards reality) and in one?s face-and-back (leading the situation). They are both strong, so they need no extra attention. All the other lines are yin, receptive, but only 3 and 6 need care. Because to connect new beginnings with ?family? (hex.37), your emotions and spirit need extra attention. They are yin, they should be receptive, answering to the demands of the situation, but for this special connection their change to yang should be carefully supervised.
Tun?s emotions (or rather your emotions in a time of Tun) are connected with 63: in a time of new beginnings you need a way to deal with chaos, because that is where all new beginnings can grow. The line tells you how to change from yin to yang, from receptivity to action: not charge at things, but nearing them careful and cautious, according to their specific nature. One moment of carelessness and all can be lost.
The top line: in a time of new beginnings the spirit changes to hex.42: how to deal with plenty. Here you get advice for your spiritual attitude. In Tun the spirit needs the force and endurance to deal with failure, and the complement to this is his yang side being steady enough to deal with plenty.
So if you can manage your emotions and your spirit in a time of Tun, the connection with ?Jia Ren? will be without problems. The advice for both can be very different, at first sight contradictory, but they are meant for different parts of your psyche.

I have been searching for your quote from Wilhelm ("he who never rests / whose thoughts long / with body and soul to the impossible / he is the one who wins"), but could not find it.

RE Pedro: Another example, same question, got #53 with all lines
changing except last..
In 53 changing to 38 you have to take care of 5 lines, only the spirit is no problem. Lines 1, 2 and 4 change from yin to yang, there you have to carefully change your receptivity to activity, line 3 changes from yang to yin, so there you have to do the reverse. If you make faults, the result will be the negative side of 38: misunderstandings, alienation. If you take care, the result is the positive side: acceptance of the other being different, and the interesting life which is possible when there are differences.
Result is maybe not exactly the right word. I think the resultant hexagram is another side which is also part of your life, but it is up to you if it is good or bad.

Thanks for your remarks and questions. It helps a lot when I see how a page is read and where it is not comprehensible.

LiSe

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The page is finished (well, for the moment at least). Found some beautiful pictures, and am real proud of my work.
new.gif

smooch.gif

LiSe

C

cheiron

Thanks Heylise

Your page looks great and led me to a new area of understanding

--Kevin

elisabete

visitor
Reaction score
You have no idea how much this new page of yours is going to help me and all the beginners!!!!
Thank you thank you..
It is very easy to read and understand and clarifies lots of small important questions I have!!!!

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, Cheiron (great you are here again!) and Elisabete,

It is what I want most with my website: sharing an I Ching which is not complicated at all. Of course there are a lot of things one can use to delve deep and deeper, which can be very rewarding too. But my own idea is, that the deepest wisdom of the I Ching is very simple. Closer to a children?s pictures-and-fairytales book than to a philosophy discussion.

LiSe

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, it is a terrific page, and I used it in a reading for a customer a couple of days ago! (Not sure what I'd do without you, probably become a French tutor instead or something.)

No-one else here is nasty enough to say this, so I'll have to. (Can't find a sufficiently nasty emoticon to insert here.) In the hexagrams at the bottom of the page (and where did you find those excellent pictures?), you have a couple of deliberate mistakes for us to spot. You've called Contemplation #22, and put the lines (and the description?) for #33 in where you meant to put 43.

Very much looking forward to using this way to look at hexagrams. 44: everything very active and determined, except where you might walk and carry it all in practice is suddenly completely open? Is that the idea?

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Nasty??? I NEED people like you who tell me my mistakes. It is even worse, I need people who tell me two times. I have a brain like a sieve, only the biggest lumps stay in.
I run around, one idea after the other absolutely needs to be done. My computer is crammed with ideas which never reached completion, because the next one comes already around the corner.

I changed 22, I also changed 43-33. I must admit, when I typed in 43, I was a bit surprised that his feet were receptive. Not quite what I expected.. The spirit makes sense to me. Full of energy and will and ideas, but spiritually open to what comes his way. And in this top line a warning not to become slack. So this should also be women?s animus, I like it (could the top line be a description of my sieve up there?).
And 44, man?s anima, a strong lady, but with feet which can dance on the music of the spheres (and the warning not to stray, but to tie the pig - hmm). Hey ? could Candid?s big pig be a prophecy of his anima coming his way?

The pictures are from ?The Mustard Seed Garden Manual of Painting?. A painting manual by 3 artists, brothers, 1679-1701. It consists of several books, now all, except the essai, in one volume. Book of trees, book of rocks, book of the orchid, book of feathers-and-fur and flowering plants etc. It has many articles on the preparation of paint, use of colors, way to draw a bird (one has to start with the eye), and so on. Examples of various schools and artist?s styles. 624 pages, many pictures (1 to more than 10) per page.
ISBN 0-691-01819-7 pbk , but the best way is to search at www.trussel.com or another old-books search site and enter the title.

LiSe
http://www.anton-heyboer.org/i_ching/index.html

louise

visitor
Reaction score
um i can't find stuff about lines on Lise's site -anyone know where i'm going wrong ?

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Follow that link to the home page, then scroll down the RH frame to just below the tables with links to individual hexagrams. Follow the second link down: 'New: the structure of a hexagram'. Enjoy!

pedro

visitor
Reaction score
oh NOW I found it, I missed that new "hexagram structure" previously, and only saw the lines part. Both of which are really priceless wisdom, I really love you and your site more and more, LiSe
happy.gif

The artwork is wonderful, and that method to view the lines you propose is really insightfull (specially when you combine the lines with the trigrams and the heaven-man-earth trine)

But let me take the chance to ask you something Ive been trying hard to understand. How was the transition from the original ideograms to the lines? any ideas about that? As I understand the ideograms have a complete different origin, and got merged with the cracked bones/lines somewhere along the road... What was the 'mapping' done???

I think the common folk answer is the one the Yi provides: the hexagrams were there before the lines, before the ideograms, before everything... People just found the connections empyrically, by direct experimentation

pedro

visitor
Reaction score
RE: Lise "I have been searching for your quote from Wilhelm ("he who never rests / whose thoughts long / with body and soul to the impossible / he is the one who wins"), but could not find it."

Its a quote on my brasilian translation of wilhelm's, hex#3 line 6. Im not sure if its a translator's note but I dont recall seeing it as such. Anyway, that was my translation from the portuguese, as I dont have the english original.

Anyway, its a great quote, specially given the somewhat derrotistic attitude portraied in the line, and it serves as an inspiration to bring us back to the fight
happy.gif

C

cheiron

Thanks for the welcome Heylise - I am going to try to stick arround for a while
happy.gif
- Kevin

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom