...life can be translucent

Menu

An etymology of Meng.4

confucius

visitor
Reaction score
Etymology of the ideogram Meng.4

The composition of the ideogram used to describe the third hexagram is assembled from three groups resting on top of each other. On the very top is found the symbol generally attributed to Plants. It here proposes the idea of climbing plants as the ones that would be used to make trellises; that is the vegetable-based cover used to make a shaded area (in the shape of a parasol). It is also commonly used to represent the idea of the strands used to make the braided baskets common throughout Asia. These baskets have a particularity that distinguishes them from the one used in Africa or South-America: they have no bottom. They are designed to rest on the ground, upside-down, and are used to contain small animals sold at the market.

Right under the top symbol is a sign that is very similar to the one used to describe the idea of a Roof; an analogy depicting something that covers. A second stroke is drawn just below it as a suggestion that something is covered by it, contained within.

At the bottom is the symbol that represents exactly what is contained: a Hog. This particular animal has an emphasized importance for the Chinese: it has an essential value when it comes to nutrition but also has a very influential status in Chinese symbolism. For them, the pig represents the domesticated animal whose growth by fattening is the most spectacular and, as such, the primary offering for the cult of the ancestors.

From the animal which is acquired young in order to fatten it comes the representation of a youth with potential, of something tenuous destined to become thick. The fact that it would be covered, as by a roof in this case, proposes the idea of a veiled situation, one not yet lighted by wisdom, of ignorance, as would be the case with a child which has not yet received a proper education.

Confucius

H

hmesker

j18209.gif

This etymology is a bit outdated, I'm afraid. The oracle bone character does not contain the 'grass' radical which was added in later centuries. Second, the part that is normally recognized as 'pig' is nowadays regarded as a picture of a tiger. According to Liu Xing-long 劉興隆, Xinbian Jiaguwen Zidian 新編甲骨文字典, the meaning was originally "勇士偽裝, 披戴虎皮", "pretend to be brave, to wear a tiger's skin". Liu cites an inscription which he reads as the description of a person who hides his strength and abilities to be able to attack the enemy and make prisoners (p. 34).

In other words, with meng 蒙 you are not ignorant, you pretend to be ignorant so you can exercise your capabilities when the time is right. At least this seems to be one of the oldest meanings of meng.

Harmen.

Last edited:

martin

(deceased)
Reaction score
Based on situations in which I received hexagram 4 I have come to think of it as indicating rebellion against authorities and imposed rules and also helpless behavior when one is in fact not helpless.

This last meaning comes close to pretending to be ignorant but helpless behavior can also be quite innocent and not with a purpose to hide ones abilities and attack later.

What I see in hexagram 4 is more an innocent child. It can be naughty, it can scream and turn red in the face if it doesn't get what it wants but it is not a scheming little Machiavelli that - while feigning helplessness - patiently waits till you turn your back and then goes for your throat. :eek:

H

hmesker

Hi Martin,

To be more specific, I did not mean that hexagram 4 should be read as 'pretending to be ignorant' etc., I only wanted to point out that the oldest form of the character meng 蒙 seemed to have such a meaning, without drawing any conclusions about its meaning for hexagram 4. To be conclusive about the meaning of meng 蒙 in hexagram 4 you have to look at the context in which the character is used. It is interesting to notice that apart from the Judgment meng is always preceded by another character - as if it only is used as part of a compound.

Harmen.

martin

(deceased)
Reaction score
Ah, I see. I indeed thought that you were talking about the meaning of hexagram 4.
Thank you for clarifying. :)

B

bruce_g

hmesker said:
It is interesting to notice that apart from the Judgment meng is always preceded by another character - as if it only is used as part of a compound.

Harmen.

Hi, Harmen. That's interesting, as it seems to fit with the idea of 4 being new, not yet, or incomplete.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).