...life can be translucent

Menu

new Yi

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
I came across a new version of the Yi, by a guy called Deng. (I forget the rest of his name.) I had only five minutes to look at it, but it looked *really* useful.

Anybody else read it? (It was published this year, so it's fairly new.)

philippa

visitor
Reaction score
I think I saw it in a bookstore a while ago. Is the cover in some "Chinese" greyish green colour? And for every hexagram, he starts off with a poem, formatted to look like a stepwise ladder?

Philippa

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
The texts for each of the lines of each hexagram are arranged on the page so that they form a sort of staircase ascending from the first line at the bottom leftward and upward to the top line.

I forget the color of the cover. I'm a guy lol.

philippa

visitor
Reaction score
Today I stopped by the bookstore and had yet another look at it. The cover is indeed in this greyish green colour. ;)

I randomly took a quick look at the content of several hexagrams. Generally, I like the way he describes the lines from bottom to top as if he's telling a story, e.g., the lines of 26 are "levels" of "exercising restrain", hence his staircase format for displaying the translation.

I came very close to buying it myself (once a few months ago, once today). But both times I decided not to partly because I find the "staircase" description is a bit one-dimensional for my liking (but some may find it straightforward and to the point). I also caught one spot (55.2) where he bent the translation to fit his style. He omitted the last clause for that yao line, which imo, is an important clause, for the purpose of comparing it to 55.4.

If you like the staircase style, it's an interesting book. But given what he's done to 55.2, it's likely that he may have taken some liberty on other lines as well. I wouldn't suggest it to someone who doesn't know the text already. (This wouldn't apply to you, Dobro! :) ) Anyhoo, have another look before buying.

Philippa

Last edited:

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the heads up. I'll look at it more closely the next time I see it.

One of the reasons I don't use Wilhelm much at all these days is cuz of the 'poetic liberties' he took with the text.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Hi dobro,
Say, I hope you and others who are familiar with the original texts will post the discrepancies in Wilhelm when they appear over on the memorization thread. Of course, this may mean you're needing to post something on every line...

Moi

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
Gee, I don't think I'm that masochistic lol. It would be a ton of work.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).