...life can be translucent

Menu

Big Move

kenresting

visitor
Reaction score
Moving for opportunities far from home to an isolated place.

Q: What would happen if a moved to this new location?

A: h29.1.4 --> 58

I need help with interpretation.

:bows:

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi kenresting,

Hex 29.1 suggests that at present you are involved with some bad influences and this makes your situation both harmful and dangerous for youself. It is time to wake up and reassess the situation because if you don't then there will be trouble.

Hex 29.4 suggests that if you want to work with others then you must be sincere, trustworthy, helpful in the face of danger then you will gain friends and work together successfully to overcome obstacles.

Hex 58 is all about joy. Joy comes from inner peace and balance, so the key to your happiness comes from within. This is about taking joy in other peoples company, talking, discussing things. Joy brings people together, difficulties disappear. Work to create a positive atmosphere. If you are warm and friendly then the people will respond likewise. Share experiences with others, communicate, be friendly, listen to them, be cheerful and happy. Hex 58 is a west direction.

The problem with this question is that nobody knows what you are actually going to do out there. Work on a ranch or join a commune?

Last edited:

ewald

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Ken,

In my view, 29.1 is about getting too deep into a new, unknown, potentially dangerous situation. It doesn't go well.
29.4 seems in your context to be about the difficulty of being reached in the isolated location you intend to move to. It may be hard to get supplies, or to be in touch with people. You may get used to that, though.

58 is in my view not about joy, but about exchange. I have no idea what it means in your situation.

B

bruce_g

Future predictions are iffy at best. I think Yi is talking to what leads Ken to feel the need for isolation.

58, in addition to exchange can also refer to emotions. Repetition in this matter clouds the waters (29 line 1). Line 4 clarifies the water, making your thoughts on this matter clear and lucid. Then you can decide more clearly if you want to move.

A question I'd ask you to ask yourself: Do you want to move to there or away from where you are?

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
At first sight, just from the hexagrams, I get the impression that Yi is telling you, that even in an isolated place you can find exchange and joy with people. But it involves taking the risk (29) to actually venture out there. And maybe the risk of finding it out right there. No way of really knowing it from out here.

29.1 changes to 60, where the corresponding line talks about not going out. Not sure if that is about staying put where you are now, or accepting a life which keeps you within a limited situation.
29.4 changes to 47, also restriction, but in a very different way.

Sometimes, in an isolated place, exchange is a lot more rewarding than in a big busy city. Not many people there, but often better communication. 29.4 does sound like that. Very small place, having no exchange but through the window...

Search your soul (29), I guess that is where the answer is hiding.

LiSe

kenresting

visitor
Reaction score
Here's my take on it.

h29
(1) "One has a bias towards danger. Danger in a dangerous place. Unfortunate."

Adventure or ambition. Or wandering? (e.g. 56 When a stranger in a strange land has no one left on whom he can rely, the situation becomes very dangerous.) As a rule, the Yi Jing looks down on wandering about.

(4) "[In dangerous times] One limits oneself to food and wine and only enlightening writings, thus progressing. No harm in this."

Keeping to one self.

h58 Friends, relationships and business ventures.

willowfox said:
The problem with this question is that nobody knows what you are actually going to do out there. Work on a ranch or join a commune?

I'm going out there for work.

I like your take on h29.1.4 being about the present. It seems plausible.

bruce_g said:
Future predictions are iffy at best. I think Yi is talking to what leads Ken to feel the need for isolation.

Do you want to move to there or away from where you are?

It is not so much a need for isolation as it is following a path. Whether I want to move to or away seems like an odd question to me. I guess it's secondary, I'm more concerned with success.

I originally asked two questions. Besides the question I posted I asked about a different path and it resulted in a single hexagram 58. This second path does not require moving, only some preparation. Maybe if I take path one (moving) I'll be repeating myself. And if I take path two (staying) I'll be that much closer to h58.

bruce_g would you explain your thoughts on future predictions being iffy?

:bows:

B

bruce_g

Ken,

I meant, iffy as in questionable to use Yi as a fortune telling devise. It acts more like a GPS, which lets us know where we are, and which therefore can be helpful to direct us toward where we want to go. More than this, it can help us to become who we want to become. I'm not saying that the Yi can not foretell a future event, but that it speaks to that on a need to know basis, and even then does not predict an outcome, but presents to us possibilities and potentials.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi Ken,

as you have received hex 58 to both your questions, moving and staying, it would be sensible to ask another two questions, is path A the *best* for you to follow or is path B the *best* to follow.

Receiving hex 58 twice really makes me curious as to what the work actually entails. Joy?

kenresting

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Willowfox,

Path A - labor intensive, dangerous and well paid.

Path B - fun and independant.

Path B is the preferrred path. Path A would be done before Path B and compliment it. (While following A, I would prepare for B.) Or if I was unable to succeed at Path B, I would follow Path A.

I just asked if Path B would be successful?

h14.2 --> 30

More help needed.

Bruce, what you said makes an incredible amount of sense. Is this your own observation or a standard Yi Jing viewpoint?

B

bruce_g

kenresting said:
Bruce, what you said makes an incredible amount of sense. Is this your own observation or a standard Yi Jing viewpoint?

Personal experience, observation and opinion. I'm glad you find it helpful.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi Ken,

Hex 14.2 says that you have many talents which can be employed to your advantage in a job or whatever. It also says others will help you achieve your goals. Go for it, success.

Hex 30 a time of warmth, light and awareness. Bring together what belongs together. Being dependent on others. Perhaps looking after those in need of help. It is time to persevere, doing so brings success.

kenresting

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you all. Having all these interpretations is very enlightening. It's like having many different translations to work with. I've learned more in this one thread than in all the time I've put into the Yi Jing.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).