...life can be translucent

Menu

From Harmen's latest PDF file...

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
hmesker said:
If it only concerns the two characters mentioned earlier, yes, I could. Otherwise it is too much work. But the two characters are also in this image:
kun-variants.serendipityThumb.gif

Just turn it 90 CCW.

Harmen.

Hi Harmen, with those figures/ideograms you posted, you reminded me of something I came up with some 20 years ago. I had to look for it for quite a while but I found the original paper and scanned it. :)

I was trying to find a handy way to carry all 64 hexagrams without actually drawing them or using numbers (1-0, 9-6, etc.). I came up with the idea of using a "/" for Yang and "\" for Yin on graph paper. I then wrote all of them, in the classic King Wen sequence and stacked the first 32 Hexagrams on top of the last 32. I was fascinated by the labyrinth like pattern obtained in such an arrangement and I was amazed by the symmetry that is found between Hexagrams 37 thru 40. When I saw them stacked that way, I further developed the idea of finding moving lines in the stacked pairs. For that, I arbitrarily assigned "//" as 9 or Old Yang; "\\" as 6 or Old Yin; "/\" (where / or Yang is below \ or Yin) as 7 or Young Yang; and "\/" (where \ or Yin is below / or Yang) as 8 or Young Yin.

Below is my original drawing and what I came up with with the moving line pairs. From that drawing I made copies way back then. A clean one is further below. I've always found those patterns very interesting. Anyway, something to play with if anybody else is visually inclined.

Cheers,

Luis

iching-handwritten01-600.jpg

iching-clean01.jpg

frank_r

visitor
Reaction score
A nice interesting drawing Luis!

Making things visual always gives a new perspective. At least for me.

Frank R

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, Frank. I don't know if it is of any use but I really enjoy the pattern obtained. Being an avid photographer I'm moved by visual "rarities"

L

frank_r

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Luis,

I also love to make drawings, some years ago I made about 30 big drawings( from 1 metre to 1.50) about lots of things like 8 houses, XOR ing between several cycles, I Ching and enneagrams, I Ching and Tarot, etc. When you have a visual picture then you see it in a different light.

sparhawk said:
I was fascinated by the labyrinth like pattern obtained in such an arrangement and I was amazed by the symmetry that is found between Hexagrams 37 thru 40.
I know from these 4: 37-38-39-40 the are quit special, the are the only four there are 4 nuclear hexagrams in a row, and 37 is in oppostion with 39 and 38 with 40.

And this you see in a visual way now

Frank R

RindaR

visitor
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! I just noticed this thread - amazing!

Rinda - also visually oriented...

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).