...life can be translucent

Menu

I-Ching. Get it? I (Hexagram 42 or 27) Ching (Hexagram 48)....

cassius_clay

visitor
Reaction score
The name "I-Ching" is telling you what it is about. I (increase or providing nourishment), ching (the well). Providing nourishment to the well. Or Increasing the well. You think there might be anything to that? Just putting that out there to get your thoughts maybe. Peace.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry-
That isn't it.
There are only 411 Pinyin syllables in Chinese, meaning that for each syllable there are an average of 20 different words or characters (and each of these usually has many meanings).
The Yi in Yijing is a completely different word than either Gua 42 or 27 , and Jing is a different word than Gua 48.
Yijing's Yi means changes (and lots more)
It's Jing means classic book (and so wasn't a part of the original name)

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Still it's a nice idea, Cassius. To be aware of what symbols remind us of beyond their intended meaning is worthwhile. In feng shui there's something about the number four that is avoided because "four" in Chinese sounds so similar to the Chinese word for death. Can't remember precisely, but definitely these associations are significant.

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
Didn't Jung draw 48 in response to his question to the Yi about the Yi, or about how he should use it? I forget. But I think it was 48. And that time, if I remember his reading of the draw, the well referred to the Yi in that instance.

Yeah, just a one-off, I know.

J

jesed

Hi Dobro

The first question was how the Yi feels about the new translation into english...and the answer was 50. like a Ting that wasn't being used.

The second questions was how the Yi see Jung's situation...and there was 29 to 48... he was like in a pitt..but really was a well.

Now, in traditional teaching, 48 indeed is one of the hexagrams suposed to talk about the Yi itself.

Best wishes

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
It's commonly understood, and plausible from the text, that the Yi is giving advice to its own proper use in both Gua 48 and Gua 50, the only two Gua that are technological devices. This does not mean that the Jing of the Well had anything to do wth the honorific title "jing" that wasn't given to the Yi until 800 years after it was written. That Jing refers to the longitudinal fibers of a cloth on a loom. If history is seen as a fabric, these are the threads that run back into the distant past, as distinct from the more colorful crosscurrents or weft. Hence Warp implies Classic. When you hear the word Wei, weft, referring to the Yi, as in Han Yiweishu, these are the Yi's crosscurrents, or non-classical apocrypha, things of the moment or "merely" of the present few centuries.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).