...life can be translucent

Menu

30 -> 31 Pairs? Hidden hex?? More....

christeen

visitor
Reaction score
Hello.
Previously I asked Yi "what change to our situation could result from B's trip overseas?". The answer 51,shake (no changing lines). I took this to mean some sort of huge shock which starts off as ashock but has a happy outcome and relief after the initial shock wears off.I also asked what will cause this shock.... 50.3 -> 64. Willow offered that "something is not right with B, or B is not happy with his current situation which will cause him to feel certain SHOCKING realisations.

B is going overseas for 3 months to visit M. M is a dear dear friend and so solid and grounded. I asked Yi "what part does M play in this shake?" The answer is 30.1.5.6 -> 31. Now, 30 is shedding light on things, radiance, illuminate.

30.1 is tread carefully, assess before commenting or getting involved. Yes??

30.5 is tears and lots of sadness for mistakes made or a realisation of a mistake made but its not too late to reconnect

30.6 go out and rectify the situation, go aggressively. This is a time of great abundance.

31 is conjoining, it is M's ability to 'woo'. In other words, M has huge ability to influence B. 31 is also conjoining. A.Huang says 31 is to bring together two separates that belong as a whole.

In summary, I see this as a auspicious reading for me because M perhaps can sway B to see things that he otherwise cannot see or is choosing not to see. Perhaps to reach deep and let the real stuff come out.

Also, what is the significance in pairs. 30 and 31 is a pair. The nucleur hex for 30 is 28, overload. Does anyone see or use the significance of the 'hidden' hex? Both Huang and Karcher pay attention to nucleur hexagrams.In this particular case, how is 28 relevant to 30? Could this mean that M is busting to do/say something to B?

Is the hidden hex in the relating hex significant or not?

There you go, lots of questions if you choose to look deeper.

Thanks buddies.

christeen

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Dobro, You there? I have always found you to be kind, your views and interpretations/thoughts refreshing and sometimes acutely scary in its detail. I would love to hear your say on this thread. I think I allready have my answer. Yi has been very kind as to be direct in her answer to me (dont know why but my Yi seems female somehow). Just interested in what others think.

L

lightofreason

30,31 do not form a pair as such - 29,30 forms the pair as does 31,32

THESE pairs then form a pair.

In the traditional sequence hexagram 30 pairs with hexagram 29.
This pairing reflects the common ground re enclosure, encapsulation, be it through integrating (29 - the boundary holds something 'in', it protects and so rejects the outside), or differentiating (30 - the boundary is designed to expand, as a fire does from a centre, thus the tie to concepts of direction setting and establishing an ideology etc). The overall focus in 29 is on protection rather than exploitation (more common to 30) but the relation to the emotion of rejection reflects an aspect of differentiation from a moral perspective, as compared to 30 where the expansive nature is generally differentiating and yet within that is the emotion of acceptance and so of integrating. This clearly bounded '50/50' mix of differentiate/integrate reflects the nature of these two hexagrams as 'boundary' setters (as compared to the more tightly-mixed hexagrams of 63 and 64)

SURROUND:

29 : enclosure (surround) - through water, contain/control (keep in, protect); 29 containment/control comes from a context described by hexagram 61 - sympathise, empathise, hard exterior-soft core

30 : enclosure (surround) - through fire, guide/direct (ideology); 30 guide/direct comes from a context described by hexagram 62 - exaggerate tradition, act, covers unconditional loyalty issues

In the traditional sequence hexagram 32 pairs with hexagram 31.
In this pairing both hexagrams focus on issues of commitement, be it the intensity in the wooing of 31 (and so an overall differentiating focus) or the general sense of commitment reflected in 32 (and so an overall integrating focus).
COMMIT:

31 : commit (gradual) - through to someone; 31 wooing comes from a context described by hexagram 13 - loose associations

32 : commit (sudden) - through to something; 32 commiting comes from a context described by hexagram 14 - centered associations, directing

The pair dynamics is of (29,30),(31,32) aka surround,commit

in 47 - one of the water-based hexagrams and so associated with 29 etc and so a 'surround' hexagram we have an ideogram of a fenced-in tree. This represents enclosing acting to force the roots to go deep and si 'integrate' with the local context - IOW make a 'commitement'. For 47 this can be forced enclosure or willing - we keep things in or out. - the overall focus of attention for 47 is on the INSIDE. OTOH hex 22 relates to commitement to the internal 'light' that we hide by a facade, the OUTSIDE where we can draw attention away from looking inside (22 pairs with 36 to reflect this 'hiding' of an inner light etc)

Chris.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi christeen,

"what part does M play in this shake?" The answer is 30.1.5.6 -> 31.

Hex 30.1 M helps sort out B's thinking, B's thinking is clearly very jumbled and all over the place, too many stray thoughts entering his head. M sets to making him think clearly.

Hex 30.5 B understands at last, his mind is finally clear, his grief and sadness for past mistakes give way to a complete change of heart.

Hex 30.6 M enlightens B on how to check himself for bad habits and to get rid of them, and how to put the good ones to use.

Hex 31 Perhaps M shows B that it is now time to settle down, take a wife.

Hidden hexs, nuclear hexs have no substance in fact, they overly complicate a reading rendering it as complete nonsense. Astrology is the same, all kinds of non existant points were brought into play. Some astrologers were not happy just to use the planets, houses and signs, they had to invent things. I suppose if you invent enough *things* then your answer will fit the question exactly the way you want it too. So I think it is with the I Ching, why try to complicate a clear and simple reading with external, invented stuff.

christeen

visitor
Reaction score
Hey Willow.
Thanks for that. But what about the relating 31? Don't need to look there?
Anyway, I then asked Yi "how will B react to M?" Very interesting indeed... 48.2.3.5 -> 2. I see 2 as B being receptive to advice but 48 has always perplexed me.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi christeen,

"how will B react to M?" Very interesting indeed... 48.2.3.5 -> 2.

Hex 48.2 the message M gives to B is very clear, B possesses good qualities which he is not using, no one has talked to him before about this, so he has grown lazy in his thoughts, his mind is now full of conflicting ideas. At first, B is unable or unwilling to accept M's advice.

Hex 48.3 M is giving B clear instructions about what to do but he does not or does not want to listen. M tries to set B on the right path, difficult at first. When B finally accepts the information (truth) then all in his circle will benefit.

Hex 48.5 M feeds B the knowledge that he needs to know, so when B accepts M's sagely advice it will improve, transform, better his life.

Hex 2 says for B to follow and not try to lead, take a passive role, ie follow the advice given by M and supreme success will be the outcome.

Hex 31 in the previous question is giving you a likely outcome (suggestion) which has to be taken into account. If you read only the lines then you will only have half the answer.

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
"B is going overseas for 3 months to visit M. M is a dear dear friend and so solid and grounded. I asked Yi "what part does M play in this shake?" The answer is 30.1.5.6 -> 31."

"Now, 30 is shedding light on things, radiance, illuminate."

Sure, okay.

"30.1 is tread carefully, assess before commenting or getting involved."

I'm okay with that.

"30.5 is tears and lots of sadness for mistakes made or a realisation of a mistake made but its not too late to reconnect"

That too.

"30.6 go out and rectify the situation, go aggressively. This is a time of great abundance."

Dunno about abundance, but you can really impose order right now. Put an end to what's behind the problem.

"31 is conjoining, it is M's ability to 'woo'. In other words, M has huge ability to influence B. 31 is also conjoining. A.Huang says 31 is to bring together two separates that belong as a whole."

I see 31 more as a stimulating influence that impacts one now. What Huang says: I think there's something similar in the commentary in Wilhelm/Baynes.

In summary, I see this as a auspicious reading for me because M perhaps can sway B to see things that he otherwise cannot see or is choosing not to see. Perhaps to reach deep and let the real stuff come out.

So, you see M as a positive learning experience for B?

"Also, what is the significance in pairs. 30 and 31 is a pair."

Not exactly. Like LightofReason said, 29 and 30 are a pair, and 31 and 32 are another pair. 31 follows 30 in the order of hexagrams in the Yi most people use - so their relationship is one of sequence, not pairing. I don't put much stock in the sequence of the hexagrams. I see important meanings in the pairs of hexagrams, though. You don't have a pair here, though.

"The nucleur hex for 30 is 28, overload. Does anyone see or use the significance of the 'hidden' hex? Both Huang and Karcher pay attention to nucleur hexagrams."

Yeah, various interesting Yi people look at nuclear hexagrams. I don't, sorry.

You know, with that many changing lines, I usually ignore the individual meanings and go for the two hexagrams, in this case 30>31. The meaning can be something like 'radiance that influences'. Applied to the question you asked, the meaning is obvious - M represents a radiant influence of some sort. You don't know what sort of radiance or what sort of influence.

However, if you take a second look at the meaning of 30>31, something else might come up for you. It can also mean 'illuminating a strong influence'. Perhaps she can shine the lights on sth important and influential in B's life.

Or 30>31 can mean illuminating something in a very influential way.

So, to summarize: the first of the three meanings I offered talks about M's *being*; the second and third meanings talk about M's *function* as someone who can point things out to B. I have no idea which of these is most useful for you. Maybe none of them, dunno lol. But all of them are homegrown; all of them are woven with fairly natural materials. If you know what you want in this situation, you'll probably recognize a useful meaning for you in the 30>31 images.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
30 moving to 31 sounds like 'clarity's influence' or 'light-giving influence' to me - which I think is very much what you'd understood already :) .

You can tell that 30 and 31 aren't a pair, because if you turn 31 upside-down you find you have 32 - which is its pair. If you invert 30 you find you have... 30. So its 'pair' is created by changing every line, giving 29. It's a different quality of paired-ness, as you'd expect.

Since no-one else seems to love nuclear hexagrams, let me dive in there. A nuclear hexagram is like a seed, a core purpose or core guiding principle. Looking at the nuclear hexagram in a reading is a little like looking at an apple tree and thinking of apple-seeds. Of course they are 'relevant' to the tree - they're its reason for being there - but if you are half-way up said tree with your shirt caught on a twig and lichen-stains all over you, they may not be the first thing on your mind.

28 is the core of 30. 30 shows patterns and connections, involves 'getting the message'. Meaning is present and sustained in awareness.

28 overloads the structure, crosses the boundary, breaks the mould.

Letting the imagination loose on these brings up all kinds of associations. Experience suggests that really seeing the truth can be an 'overload' moment; so does 30.5. (There is nothing in the text to say that this is weeping over past mistakes. I feel it has more to do with compassionate recognition of humanity.) Does B want to see it all? Can the same old structure of life hold under the weight of the new understanding, or will it all have to change?

And 44 is the core of 31. 31 opens space for new influence; 44 is the entry of a new, powerful influence no-one had reckoned with. I think that this makes intuitive sense as nuclear hexagram - when you open to influence, there is a core you are not really in control of.

I often but not always draw on nuclear hexagrams for understanding of an individual reading. It depends how deep I want to go. But I'd always look for recurrent nuclears through a series of readings; I find they show what it's about on a deep level. If I have 30, 55, 56, 62 in successive readings, then there's some kind of inner boundary-breaking or 'hatching' process trying to express itself.

christeen

visitor
Reaction score
Hilary, Willow, Chris and Dobro. Thanks very much. This has certainly given me a lot to think about. I think I see a similar train of thought in all the posts. We all agree that 30 -> 31 is a "illuminating light" from M. Hopefully, this will give the outcome that my heart desires. Keep watching this space.

I don't feel comfortable about ignoring nucleur hexes. Hilary, thanks for helping out. I shall look out for "hidden" possibilities..... something that I was not aware of before.

Thanks again.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).