...life can be translucent

Menu

38.2 and "lord"

esolo

visitor
Reaction score
This line talks about meeting a "lord" in a "narrow street". What does this word translated as "lord" really mean? Someone important? Important in what sense?

L

lightofreason

IC+ 38

Line 2
"Meeting authority whilst approaching a public place is not harmful." [Full of potential?]

In the realm of XOR, line position 2 is associated with hexagram 07. 07 covers issues of authority from the outside asserting 'uniformity' - as the army and its generals etc impose a mindset on the other rank n file.

esolo

visitor
Reaction score
Sounds like it's talking about someone who knows more, has information and that this is what makes the person the "lord" or "master" or "authority". Karcher says that the ideogram means lamp and flamer or giving light.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
The last lord I met in a narrow street was a teenager, school dropout, sitting in the narrow aisles of a bookshop's esoteric section. He was extraordinarily well-read in metaphysics from all cultures - much more so than I am - and we talked for hours.

B

bruce_g

This master is found outside of the mainstream. It’s the opposite of common opinions, general consensus, or decisions reached through a committee. As such there are no pats on the back or group hugs to assure or encourage you. The master resides in the dark and alone place, and what he says to you is said in confidence. During times when the world seems to oppose you, meeting ones master this way is reassuring.

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
hilary said:
The last lord I met in a narrow street was a teenager, school dropout, sitting in the narrow aisles of a bookshop's esoteric section. He was extraordinarily well-read in metaphysics from all cultures - much more so than I am - and we talked for hours.

Steve Marshall/Joel Biroco's secret child?? :D

L

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Actually, he made me wonder what Bruce was like at that age...

(Steve M would've been on the way to his chemistry degree from Imperial College, London.)

esolo

visitor
Reaction score
Bruce and Hilary,

My reading makes perfect sense now. This is someone with a kind of esoteric knowledge to impart. There is also definitely confidence between these two people. It's a very secret sort of thing not to be shared by anyone else. I'm going to post the entire reading in the friends folder. Would enjoy reading comments on it.

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
zhu3-2.gif

? According to Wieger:
the inferior part represents a lamp, the flame of which is the dot. One writes (..?) to mean a lamp, the character (..)? signifying (zhuan-zhu3) prince, master. Because, say the interpreters, the prince rises above the multitude and is seen by all, as the flame rises and shines over the lamp.

Bear with me, I'm learning how to input chinese characters and I mess big time with the Pinyin and Wade (confuse both...) I was able to type the characters but they do not show up in the final version of this message.... :(

L

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
No comparison, Bruce. No guitar, and not nearly as cool.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
主 zhǔ /to own/to host/master/lord/primary/

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Brad, I have a big Chinese-English dictionary that also gives a meaning of "Lord", as in God, and also as "Allah", for zhǔ. Does that makes sense or should we take zhǔ's meaning as purely mundane?

Curious.

L

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Luis-
Take it mundanely, as political superior, or as master or mastery. Your dictionary is including post-missionary usages of the word, after the 9th century ce. When the Zhouyi was written even the Jews had barely been exposed to that notion of god. The Chinese had their Shang Di, highest divinity or ultimate ancestor, but this wasn't really a personal deity like notions of god from the West.
B

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
bradford said:
Hi Luis-
Take it mundanely, as political superior, or as master or mastery. Your dictionary is including post-missionary usages of the word, after the 9th century ce. When the Zhouyi was written even the Jews had barely been exposed to that notion of god. The Chinese had their Shang Di, highest divinity or ultimate ancestor, but this wasn't really a personal deity like notions of god from the West.
B

Thanks, Brad. That makes a lot of sense. Forgot to factor the missionary influence on dictionaries...

L

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
sparhawk said:
Forgot to factor the missionary influence on dictionaries...L

That's one of their most carefully used tools, especially with illiterate societies.
When I was living in Fiji I saw the dictionary reference to the psilocybin mushroom
changed by the Catholics from "the mushroom of seeimg and hearing" to "the devil's umbrella".
A dictionary has a powerful influuence on culture, and they know it.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).