...life can be translucent

Menu

career path questions - for my fiance this time!

melcomcosh101

visitor
Reaction score
Folks,

I have the great joy of sharing some hexagrams that my fiance threw earlier this evening. If you've followed any of my threads, the fact that he's even considering a new career at this point is good news. He's been ill for 3 years and is pulling out of it and thinking about the future!

Here they are:

1. 59.5 -- 4
Should I return to my science/philosophy studies, finish my masters thesis and enter the world of educational TV. (15 years ago, he left his department after a philosophical disagreement with his thesis advisor and hasn't really found anything rewarding since. He was quite young and headstrong at the time).

2. 56.5 -- 33
Should I use my knowledge of math/stats to enter the world of sports statistical analysis. (He's crazy about baseball and is also a stat head genius. He truly loves the game and also played it competitively at one point).

He is a youthful 40, we have no children, and both scenarios are possible.

To me, neither seems like a ringing endorsement, but perhaps I'm missing something.

As always, any insights are most welcome.

M

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi as no ones come forward yet I'll give you my impressions.

Regarding the first option 59,5 to 4. This might mean if he takes this option hes going to have to dispel previous understandings/ideas he held. Let them go and start ago. The fan yao of hex 4 line 5 shows a good attitude to learning, an open mind. I think perhaps he does not even really know what he is heading into here. If he is without rigidity or pre conceived ideas about this option he will learn alot about new areas.

With 56,5 people really have differing ideas about it. You say he loved to play sport, if he had to withdraw that might be shown in the 33. This option is an area that hes not really at home in,, even though he likes sport, yet it may offer an opportunity. Sorry not fantastic ideas, best I can come up with right now.

I agree neither seem like ringing endorsements exactly, which option did you think looked preferable ?

melcomcosh101

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Trojan,

Thanks for responding. Dobro, Willow? You out there?

It's interestng - I think he's a bit tentative about the first option, because it would require confronting demons from 15 years ago, where the second option is fresh, although somewhat incongruous, with his life experience.

Hope that helps.

M

melcomcosh101

visitor
Reaction score
Hex 59.5 -- 4

Folks - did I ask for the interpretation in a way you considered offensive? Or is it just too dull a subject :)

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
M

autumn

visitor
Reaction score
Should I return to finish the thesis?
59.5 (4) has a hopeful, restorative theme that leads to learning. Imagine the floods being dispersed through a concentrated jet spray and cleaning the palace so that education can begin again. A practical interpreation would probably be, 'he must start completely over and convince someone that he is capable of being educated. He must clean the flooded room and dispel the mistakes of the past'. Not divining, just from a practical point of view, his thesis is dead. He has to find a teacher that will let him participate in new research. 59>4 suggests he may be able to use some of the old research and turn it into something new. The outcome is hopeful here for the context. I like this answer.

56.5 (33). This is about "trading up". Offering a smaller sacrifice for a chance to gain entrance to a higher society. So what's the sacrifice he'd have to make to do this?

mudpie

visitor
Reaction score
My personal experience with 56.5 is that it is a good place to hang your hat. In this case, it could mean that he has "been around the block" and knows his stuff and would find acceptance in this niche. Sorrells say "You demonstrate your talents and find a good position. Even though you are a stranger, you are welcomed."

melcomcosh101

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you Autumn, Listener...

1. I agree that a return to complete the masters would require complete humility and starting over. The image of cleansing is a good one I think. There's deep regret in him around this. But there's also ego around this. I'm not sure he's ready to be as humble and open as he would need to be yet.

2. What would he have to sacrifice? Our free time together, I think. He's a real homebody and I'm his favourite person to hang around with (and vice versa). The baseball/stats interest didn't come up in our relationship until after the first year, and I have to tell you, I'm not much of a baseball fan. So I suspect the price he'll (we'll both) have to pay is on a relationship level. I'm sure I can adjust to finding it more interesting, but it won't be to the level of passion about it that he has. No, it's not to "Fever Pitch" level, but it's up there.

Thanks,
M

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).