...life can be translucent

Menu

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone got any ideas about how to interpret 51,6 when there aren't any 'neighbours' as such in the question who are affected by the thunder - or if there are distressed 'neighbours' around they appear to have very little to do with the question ?

I've read differing stresses on the line here in the index, some thinking it advises to simply save oneself while there is the chance, others that it is advise to stay calm, not get involved in chaos afecting others. I don't know - if there are no 'others' perhaps it might mean not to be affected by prevailing standards or beliefs rather than people ?

I'd be interested in anyones thought about this line.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
I think it is basically saying, don't get involved, mind your own business, stay at home and draw the curtains, leave the mad world with all its fears, problems, abnormal beliefs outside, stay neutral.

ewald

visitor
Reaction score
The Chinese character that Wilhelm translated as "neighbor," can also mean "neighborhood," which translation I prefer. So this is more about shocks being close to you, almost hitting you, than about hitting someone else.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Wfox I like that idea. Also thanks Ewald, you mean its just about a shock/upset you narrowly escape, not necessarily much to do with others ?

ewald

visitor
Reaction score
Trojan - Yes, narrowly escaping shocks, and being upset because of them being so close.
(I don't see these shocks bringing ruin, as to Wilhelm's translation.)

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
trojan said:
Anyone got any ideas about how to interpret 51,6 when there aren't any 'neighbours' as such in the question who are affected by the thunder - or if there are distressed 'neighbours' around they appear to have very little to do with the question ?

The 'neighbors' can be in you - parts of yourself, different sub-personalities, different emotional kneejerks each with their own assumptions, desires, agenda and 'voice' in your head. They're all products of conditioning and upbringing, and the Yi's reminding you not to listen to them in this case. In other words, 51.6 is telling you to be true to yourself and not to listen to or be influenced by voices either inside or outside yourself that are filling your ear with the sound of panic.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
dobro said:
The 'neighbors' can be in you - parts of yourself, different sub-personalities, different emotional kneejerks each with their own assumptions, desires, agenda and 'voice' in your head. They're all products of conditioning and upbringing, and the Yi's reminding you not to listen to them in this case. In other words, 51.6 is telling you to be true to yourself and not to listen to or be influenced by voices either inside or outside yourself that are filling your ear with the sound of panic.

Yeah this makes sense, fits in with my idea these panic inducing things can be beliefs from your upbringing, your environment, all the many influences on you - doesn't have to be actual people. Its the voice of panic - :eek:

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
I've found three big groups of problematic emotions belonging to the fake or conditioned self - anger, fear and self-pity. When I learn how to rein these in, I'll be a shiny, happy person.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes it just means that you have a chance to learn second-hand instead of first hand.
That you don't have to make a mistake yourself in order to learn the lesson. Anyone who has been through this experience can be your neighborhood teacher. Like if you're thinking about moving to the gulf coast, ask a Katrina refugee for advice.

J

jesed

Yes what Bradford said.. in spanish we would said about 51.6: "aprender en cabeza ajena"

This make sense if you look at the cause (48.6 the posibility to learn from others, to drink from their experience) and the effect (21.6 if you don't listen to others, misfortune)

best wishes

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
jesed said:
in spanish we would said about 51.6: "aprender en cabeza ajena"

What a great saying.
We have nothing so succinct in English.

samoyedgrrl

visitor
Reaction score
Hi all!

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd add a little something just in case others may stumble upon it in search of an answer through the hexsearch. I casted about an odd dream I had last night, asking the IC what it meant. I think the dream really illustrates the essence of these hexagrams.

I dreamt that I was on a roof, hammering down some shingles that were coming loose. There were flood waters rising, and my love interest was there with me. He told me to not worry so much about the shingles, they'd hold. And when I realized the flood waters were rising, he told me to have a seat on the roof peak with him. He pointed to the water level and reassured me that indeed the water did rise, but it had leveled out and wasn't getting any higher. The roof (and we) were safe.

Still worried, I told him my concerns about how we would sleep on the rooftop without falling off. He smiled, and said "We're here for each other. We'll just take turns sleeping and make sure neither of us falls off." With that, he mentioned how tired and disoriented I had become from the stress and invited me to rest my head on his thigh to get some sleep. He ran his fingers through my hair and kept reassuring we would be okay and that he'd not let anything happen to me. A sense of calm came over me as I drifted off in my sleep (inside of the dream).

In this dream, I kept finding ways to work myself up into a tizzy. I was the one who had found a way to get myself all upset. The dream and the IC were telling me to chill in a major way, I think. In typical dream interpretation, water equates to emotion, which apparently I had a ton in this situation. I also believe that in this dream, I was so busy being frantic about trying to fix things and see what the next thing to worry about that I didn't take time to see what was really happening. It took my love interest to point it out to me, reminding me that we would be okay.

Interesting side note that in my waking hours today, I got a big shock (totally unrelated to the dream and the love interest). Hello, hex 51! It's a mixed bag of emotions, while I was affected by what happened, it isn't nearly as bad as what happened to others. Life will go on and I'll be fine - is that the "..narrowly escaping shocks, and being upset because of them being so close" as ewald mentioned? Hmm...makes ya wonder how the IC and dreams can be so darned accurate sometimes! :eek:

steve

visitor
Reaction score
I would personally take it as do nothing like waiting for a storm pass, i have never drawn this line thank goodness but i could imagine drwing it in a stituation u totally do not want to be in like in gaol or behind enemy lines or something
The situation could be emotional as well like i said i havent cast this line.

it reminds me of the line in 29 where you are stuck between a rock and hard place.

Seems a helpess situation that time can only fix

Steve

Last edited:

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
When this happened to me I found myself sitting in a chair and just staring, from shock.

One is startled into a state of shocked immobility, but it is said that you won't be harmed, especially if you don't go on the offensive.

By the time this has happened, it is too late to protect yourself against it.

Maybe the sense of paralysis is for our own protection; an instinctive reaction to prevent us from saying or doing anything rash?

In any case, it passes, and after it passes things go back to 'normal' -- or as normal as things ever get these days, which seem to be characterized by one crisis followed by another crisis.

steve

visitor
Reaction score
I dont know how I have missed this line , or why i have payed so little attention to it.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
I dreamt that I was on a roof, hammering down some shingles that were coming loose.

I also had a dream last night prominently featuring shingles. I guess any kind of roof repair or a lot of shingles in a dream is good luck. My dream book says that sleeping on a roof represents security and robust good health.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score

From the Thomas McCleary translation: Thunder fades; the gaze unsteady, an expedition bodes ill. It has not affected oneself, but it is affecting those nearby; there is no blame. The association involves criticism.

Don't know if this applies to you, but regarding the association, he says: 'Association refers to those in the same movement or activity. That there is criticism means that there are words of accusation and blame. The top yin, at the top of thunder, is finally the head of the movement or activity of the group. Now it is different from all the others in the midst of the stir, in that it is awed by the lesson of those nearby and does not dare proceed.'

In any case: The gaze wanders due to the shock. In such an unsteady state, it is not good to try to do much of anything.

firerabbit

visitor
Reaction score
This is a rather old thread but I could not resist weighing in..

I just drew 51.4.5.6 when asking for guidance in the week ahead. This week, as I am currently without a job, I have been enlisted to help a family friend replace a roof on a big, rickety old barn.The synchronicity with samoyedmom's post seems uncanny in relation to Hex. 51/roofs.

Wonder what it means??

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
You're just doing this for the money. If I were you, I'd gracefully change my mind about helping them, because what happens that day is not going to be good for you at all. The shock of it won't be worth the paycheck you're expecting to receive.

simon ian

visitor
Reaction score
I heartily agree.
6 indicates some verbal criticism for your decision not to go ahead. Just tell them the truth.

withoutfault25

visitor
Reaction score
I got this line when my brother got robbed and my assistant's partner become gravely I'll..just terrible things happening to people you care about...��☹️

withoutfault25

visitor
Reaction score
I got this line when my brother got robbed and my assistant's partner become gravely I'll..just terrible things happening to people you care about...😔☹️

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).