...life can be translucent

Menu

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
All the lines in Hex 37 are some obvious variation on the main meaning of 37, which I call Household People and which I take to mean participation in the inner group, whether that be family or spiritual group or whatever. But I see no obvious aspect of that meaning in 37.6. So, looking at 37.6 IN THE CONTEXT OF THE OVERALL MEANING OF 37, what meaning do you ascribe to that line? Up until now, I've just limited myself to the meaning of what I see in the line itself, without taking its 37 context into consideration. But every line in a hex has the context of the hex in its meaning of course, so I'd appreciate hearing what you think about 37.6.

nicky_p

visitor
Reaction score
I can see 37.6 being the leader of the pack. With that comes responsibility, not only to yourself in the way that you act but also to the other members of the group your in.

denis_m

visitor
Reaction score
It's intriguing how the phrase 有孚 (you3fu2) [having faith, trust] in 37.6 contrasts with the same word fu2 appearing in 38.4. Wilhelm's translation doesn't bring out this phrase in 37.6, but Brad Hatcher's reads: "Being true is as good as impressive; the outcome is just as promising."

I think this indicates that being king of one's own castle (as in 37.5) lets you go forth in the world with confidence in 37.6. The word impressive [wei-ru] also makes me think of the leader of the pack. It is an elder's leader's public comportment, and it comes from knowing he can rely on family. A good home life stands you in good stead. This is like the trigram symbolism: warm attachments around the hearth have a good influence elsewhere.

When you turn 37 upside down, 37.6 becomes 38.1, and that trust carries over. (Not in the word fu2 孚, but in the reassuring fact that stray horses often come back.)

38.4 has: "Estranged and alone, meeting someone unique, exchanging confidences. The distress is no longer wrong." The confidences exchanged are fu2. This is not like the faith applied in broader dealings as in 37.6; instead, it is shielded and kept as an unproclaimed tie between two persons who understand each other.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
To qualify that a little: I tried to go word-by-word in the translation, but where
I needed to point something out with extra words, I put them in parentheses.
"Just as" does not occur in the Chinese, but I believe it helps bring out what the
authors were trying to say, and is implied by ru2 (is as good as) in the previous clause.

Being true is as good as impressive; the outcome is (just as) promising

I suspect the family patriarch was the object of this line. He has some choices
on how to go about being influential. He can fill the role expected of him in a
way that impresses and inspires, but this might mean things like not having
heart or not being affectionate with his family. Or he can be authentically himself
and actualize his own true nature. This approach should be just as acceptable in
an enlightened society.

I'll often render yu fu as "be true" - it's so simple, and there isn't even any need
to say what true is - the heart knows true from false. Plus it fits the contexts a
whole lot better than "there will be a capture"

B

bruce_g

To qualify that a little: I tried to go word-by-word in the translation, but where
I needed to point something out with extra words, I put them in parentheses.
"Just as" does not occur in the Chinese, but I believe it helps bring out what the
authors were trying to say, and is implied by ru2 (is as good as) in the previous clause.

Being true is as good as impressive; the outcome is (just as) promising

I suspect the family patriarch was the object of this line. He has some choices
on how to go about being influential. He can fill the role expected of him in a
way that impresses and inspires, but this might mean things like not having
heart or not being affectionate with his family. Or he can be authentically himself
and actualize his own true nature. This approach should be just as acceptable in
an enlightened society.

I'll often render yu fu as "be true" - it's so simple, and there isn't even any need
to say what true is - the heart knows true from false. Plus it fits the contexts a
whole lot better than "there will be a capture"

J. Campbell called this sort of person you describe, "the stuffed shirt". Someone who is always in uniform, always on the job, never transparent, even with his wife and kids.

L

lightofreason

Line 6
"Ensuring that one has everything in order enables completion. Advantageous."

In IC+ the overall focus of 37 as a universal is on the use of rigid structure to enable tension release, as does the opposite, 40, allow for tension release through relaxation of structure.

The line position 6 is controlled by hex 23 and so a focus on pruning, removing the chaff from the wheat and so re-establishment of core elements for development in the next season.

By rigid structure so we 'prune' any bits 'sticking out' to ensure getting it right. Note that in this position the line 6 leads us into hex 63 where ITS focus is on a general sense of completion through 'correct' sequencing and all done unconditionally (and so no favorites)

As such the 23-ness of 37 is described by analogy to the characteristics of 63. 63 & 37 share the same space and so the generic focus on completion, correct sequence, rigid focus. LOCALLY thee qualities map to such examples as family/clan dynamics - e.g. the focus on the injured coming back into the family and so all tension is reduced by simply walking in the door - all is in the 'correct' places, father as father, first daughter and first daughter etc etc, there is no competition.

The TRIGRAMS of 37 cover a context of guidance (fire base) in which is operating a text focused on becoming influencial (wind top - with/from guidance comes becoming influencial/cultivation). IN 63 the focus is on a controlling top (water in top - with/from guidance comes control)

Chris.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).