...life can be translucent

Menu

What the heck was that?

B

bruce_g

:eek:

Ok, just for fun I'll throw this lighthearted reading out here, to see what you make of it, if anything. I got a good laugh from the answer.

I just got finished goin' off on my lectric geetar for about an hour. It was loud, distorted, obnoxious and absolutely awful. You're just going to have to trust me on that. I recorded it; I know. It was just awful. But, I had a great time playing!

So I asked the Yi, What the heck was that? Answer: 15

Any takers?

stevev

visitor
Reaction score
Apparently ...

the Yi didn't find it that awful, your just being too modest again Bruce !

Perhaps it's a Metallica fan.

RindaR

visitor
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
:p

Here's another... I'm up late, tired, and am mulling over work stuff, and ask "what do I need to know now?

1 unchanging... in other words, go to bed!

Say g'night Rinda... :rolleyes:

RindaR

visitor
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
for 15 - you were expressing yourself, and not offending anyone else... to think it was absolutely awful is to think one-sidedly about it. Could it be Yi was telling you to give yourself a little credit...? There is validity in expressing one's feelings in this way, and (some) others may find it cathartic, or resonant...

Rinda, really, I'm going to bed now...

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I just got out of bed. 7AM here.

The mythical Jian bird has one wing, one eye, but it can fly if it finds its partner. The one with the other wing, the other eye.

If you play 'good', it is still just one eye and one wing. Lots of people play that way. They can even be good at it. Ummm, well...

Lots play awful, and they are really good at it.

But having it both makes things interesting. I cannot imagine that only-good can ever be fun to listen to. Awful neither. All those people who capture the one who listens, have both good and awful. Loving both, not discarding the awful part and not drowning in the good part. Sometimes good, sometimes awful, and sometimes both at once.

imbue

visitor
Reaction score
Lise, Just explained the derivation of one of the great American verbages Bruce..In the grandest possible way;

Bruce; YoR Just Awfulygood at them there strings ya ar a pickin!
Straight from an old Okies Heart!/ Imbue the critic

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Yi said good/bad not an issue here, it was authentic, no bull****, it was what it was and I feel the Yi kinda liked it ;)

Last edited:

hollis

visitor
Reaction score
jian bird = free bird

sometimes a mistake is where the real art is. sometimes the really bad is really really fun.

free bird:D

"For I'm as free as a bird now,
And this bird you'll never change.
And the bird you can not change.
Lord knows, I can't change.
Lord help me, I can't change."

gawd the YJ has a sense of humor.

hollis

visitor
Reaction score
trojan and hollis posting at the same time = jian bird:D

B

bruce_g

Good mornin', and thanks for your answers! I think each is true. (except I'm not a Metallica fan, Steve :D) Rinda’s “cathartic” and LiSe’s Jian bird comments especially strike the chord inside.

Even though I’m pretty talkative here on this board, in real life these days, I’m very soft-spoken, unassuming, polite, friendly and easy going – the complete opposite of what I played. A property of 15 is that of equalizing extremes, balance/counter-balance type of thing. That’s why I had to laugh at Yi’s answer, because it’s so true. I really need to freak out once in awhile, in order to balance this otherwise monkish life, which can lull me into stagnation; though some might call that passive bliss.

Let the thunder roll! Have you kicked a door today? It feels good!

nicky_p

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Bruce,

Saw this and wondered: do you use a graphic equilizer when you record yourself? :)

B

bruce_g

Hi Nicky,

No, only the most bare bones of recording gear. But it wasn't the recorder's fault, LOL!

Actually, another turn of events may add a twist to the reading. Today I woke up with the most miserable head cold, so last night I was probably just feeling the onset; spaced out. Considering this, 15 may have just been saying, "Take it easy, trooper, don't expect too much right now."

stevev

visitor
Reaction score
OK Bruce, I’ll follow you on this one

After being inspired by your post I whipped out the old guitar and played about 5 variations on a twelve bar, a couple of little picking things and a rendition of Rock’n’Roll Ain’t Noise Pollution, and then asked the I Ching how my guitar playing is going. Unlike you I didn’t let go, and as per usual I played trying to hit all the notes on time and in tune.

46.3.5 -> 29 (Ascent, Danger)

I’m definitely getting better, starting to feel in control of the pick, not too many buzzes and generally on time but not quite there because I’m still too concerned about the technical details to really get into it and wondering how I can change that, but the lesson in line 5 seems to be right.

“When a man is advancing farther and farther, it is important for him not to become intoxicated by success. Precisely when he experiences great success it is necessary to remain sober and not to try to skip any stages, he must go on slowly, step by step, as though hesitant. Only such calm, steady progress, overleaping nothing, leads to the goal.”

nicky_p

visitor
Reaction score
Today I woke up with the most miserable head cold, so last night I was probably just feeling the onset; spaced out. Considering this, 15 may have just been saying, "Take it easy, trooper, don't expect too much right now."

Hope you feel better soon :hug:

B

bruce_g

Steve,

Interesting. Yi sounds like it was speaking of your approach to playing: step by step, overlooking nothing. In other words, fully conscious of each detail. Quite a contrast to the reckless abandonment of 29, which may have been what you were going for?

For me, more than anything, playing is therapy. As such, I go for the 4 or 64 approach. I don’t try to play anything, I just let it happen. But I severely lack the discipline of 7; that is to say, I rarely actually practice, and I’ve never taken a lesson. I don’t even know the names of half the chords I play.

stevev

visitor
Reaction score
Steve,

Interesting. Yi sounds like it was speaking of your approach to playing: step by step, overlooking nothing. In other words, fully conscious of each detail. Quite a contrast to the reckless abandonment of 29, which may have been what you were going for?

For me, more than anything, playing is therapy. As such, I go for the 4 or 64 approach. I don’t try to play anything, I just let it happen. But I severely lack the discipline of 7; that is to say, I rarely actually practice, and I’ve never taken a lesson. I don’t even know the names of half the chords I play.

Mate I could do with some reckless abandonment, I tell you. I thought 29 was refering to the danger of getting stuck in the repitition of just playing what I know still trying to get it right. Like you I wouldn't have a clue what half the chords I play are, and just what is a key anyway ? I played acoustic for about ten years and gave it up twenty years ago, then about a year and a half ago I bought an Epiphone Les Paul copy and some software called GuitarFX which I play through my stereo speakers, it's fantastic. I wish I had of got an electric all those years ago and played more Led Zeppelin and less Joni Mitchell.

B

bruce_g

Our paths don’t seen so different, Steve. I was playing mostly acoustic back in the day, and most of the electric stuff was accompaniment to folksy original tunes. Only in later years did I get rambunctious with electrics: banging pots to the tune of 30.3.

These days, a large part of my natural interest is about tone. Big, fat, organic, tubey tone. I’m into tubes and speakers, but no effects. In fact, I just sold my last stomp box: a Voodoo Analogue Chorus. I bought a Line6 a couple of years ago, and sold it that same week. Emulations just don’t do it for me. It’s got to be analog.

But I can dig what you’re doing with GuitarFX, and real stereo speakers can deliver pristine and chimey vibes. Very nice. In fact, my tube amps of choice are closer to hi-fi, rather than the mid scoop of Marshalls or the singy compressed sustain of Mesas. I’ve been playing modded Laney 50s for the last 7 years.

I have a couple of Ernie Ball Musicman Silhouette Specials. I really like them a lot, and that’s all I play now. Been through the gamut of Gibsons, Fenders, Martins, G&Ls, Guilds, and too many Frankenstrats to mention. Even had a sweet Takamine Garth Brooks acoustic for awhile, which I sold to (our) Rinda. I'm sure she gives it the love it deserves. I'm just not into playing acoustics anymore.

So much pop stuff comes and goes now. For me, it’s still a big treat to hear a round of Paved Paradise.

edit note:
Steve, you don't think Yi might have given 29 as a way to lose yourself? :mischief:

Last edited:

stevev

visitor
Reaction score
Yes I'm beating the pot with you.

And yes, it's a warning and encouragement.

B

bruce_g

Yes I'm beating the pot with you.

And yes, it's a warning and encouragement.

I just saw in your profile that you're a Software Engineer. That would make sense that high tech sounds would talk to you. And by your website, your penchant is toward order; or so it seems. So, your approach to guitar seems part of your dao. I think that's all that matters, man.

beithe

visitor
Reaction score
I wish I had of got an electric all those years ago and played more Led Zeppelin and less Joni Mitchell.

Sooooo I guess there is no point in requesting your rendition of Houses of the Holy?
Where's that confounded bridge! :D

free bird:D

"For I'm as free as a bird now,
And this bird you'll never change.
Lord knows, I can't change.
Lord help me, I can't change."

Man! I just managed to get Change, Change, Change out of my head..:brickwall:

stevev

visitor
Reaction score
How about Misty Mountain Hop, or Ch... Ch... Ch... Changes.

B

bruce_g

How about a little ch ch ch change of pace? This one goes out to Beithe..

To everything (turn, turn, turn)
there is a season (turn, turn, turn)
and a time for every purpose, under heaven..

A time to go
a time to return
A time chill
a time to burn
A time teach
a time to learn

I think it's time to go to bed. :rolleyes:

RindaR

visitor
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
<snip>
I have a couple of Ernie Ball Musicman Silhouette Specials. I really like them a lot, and that’s all I play now. Been through the gamut of Gibsons, Fenders, Martins, G&Ls, Guilds, and too many Frankenstrats to mention. Even had a sweet Takamine Garth Brooks acoustic for awhile, which I sold to (our) Rinda. I'm sure she gives it the love it deserves. I'm just not into playing acoustics anymore.
<snip>

Yes, the lovely Tak gets much of my attention. It still sings to me regularly while my electric sits in the corner. The 'Zouk and the Mandy get played too - I really enjoy their homey voices. The autoharp needs to be tuned, and so has been neglected for some while...I love music lines that are melodic, accompaniment or others to sing with where I can make an harmonic counter-melody. I also like to beat and crash on the drums, but it doesn't sound like much when I do that.

Rinda

Last edited:
B

bruce_g

Howdy Rinda,

I'm very glad she's found the right home. Thanks for your homey painting of music in your life. It's a beautiful picture, especially the imperfect things.

This is so crazy. This is the third time this week 55.4-36 has come up: twice on this board and once in my own life. Each had a different question, and of course that changes things a bit, but the framework of the answer (55.4-36) obviously remains the same. Only 5 minutes ago I was sitting in a chair, and 55-36 just swam into my mind. I thought perhaps I was being reminded of it, for my own learning. Then I come to check out the board, and here you are with the same reading. Very interesting to think of it against the landscape of your question: What is the role of music in my life now?

Frankly, what you’ve just described: the electric sitting in the corner, Zouk, Tak (didn’t you once have a pet name for her?), the Mandy, all receiving your attention; melodic accompaniment, beating the drum – all of it seems like a picture of 55.4-36. You and Yi are, imo, in exact agreement.

There’s thunder and fire: your passion and expression of your soul, your song; and there is (according to Yi) an abundance of that. There’s also the covering of that, in line 4 and hex 36. Line 4 feels a bit oppressed and unrecognized, but you store energy for the times you actually do perform. In the waiting, you meet your ruler, who is of like mind. Then you play with joy and confidence. All this light rests under the security of your home life, which is 36.

RindaR

visitor
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
- I deleted the reading 'cause it sounded crazy to me, turn about is fair play! :blush:

I couldn't see any of that, and yes, it is that.... thank you.

My pet name for the Tak is "silky one" for her finish and her tone...

Rinda

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).