...life can be translucent

Menu

Beads, Stalks, or Dice?

keng

visitor
Reaction score
I was surfing around and came upon this I Ching bead set, I Ching Beads . Does anyone use the bead method for working with the hexagrams? thx, kg

miakoda

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Keng-

I use the same method, except with marbles. 7 yin (black), 5 yang (white), 3 changing yang (your choice) and one changing yin (also your choice). I keep them in a cloth bag and pull out one at a time and then return it to the bag before moving on to the next line (then the mathematical probabilities are always the same). They're much quicker than the stalks and I feel that the tangibility makes them more accurate--I no longer question if the reading I receive is perhaps inaccurate, the way I did with the coins. But I'm with Willowfox here--I'd never spend $60.00. Marbles can be found in any good toy store and the marbles themselves cost under two dollars. My biggest expense is the endless parade of bags, which are always wearing out.

Miakoda

keng

visitor
Reaction score
Yep, I know I can just make my own version of the same thing - into either a bracelet or necklace to keep close. I'm more curious as to which methods people use or prefer. I like the marbles idea - just make sure you don't lose them. kg

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Keng-

I use the same method, except with marbles. 7 yin (black), 5 yang (white), 3 changing yang (your choice) and one changing yin (also your choice).
Miakoda

Wondering why you have more yin marbles than yang and so on. :confused: maths was always my worse subject. In the coin method you have equal chance of yin or yang line, wondering why it isn't so with marble method ?

frank_r

visitor
Reaction score
Wondering why you have more yin marbles than yang and so on. :confused: maths was always my worse subject. In the coin method you have equal chance of yin or yang line, wondering why it isn't so with marble method ?

I also used 16 marbles like miakoda did, like the mathematical odds of the yarrow stalks but I don´t know if they are correct. So now I use 8 marbles, I found them on the beach, three white marbles for the uncahnging yang, three black marbles for the unchanging yin. 1 brown marble for changing yin and 1 brown-white marble for changing yang. The marbles all have different shapes so the are like the 8 trigrams. The spirit of the 8 trigrams is personified in the marbles.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Nice way to consult, I like the dish. :)

miakoda

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I use the 7,5,3 1 spread because Karcher's book said that it gives you the same mathematical probabilities as the yarrow stalks. It also adds another element: you have contact with the marbles and you're making choices, so your instincts play a greater role than if you're tossing coins. It has the potential to be a considerably more spiritual experience.

Miakoda

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).