...life can be translucent

Menu

I Chings advice for achieving weightloss

laylab

visitor
Reaction score
This might sound superficial to some, to ask the IC about weightloss. But I personally believe that diets are not what cause successful weightloss..our state of mind does.

When I moved to the city I am in now, I left behind some depressive karma in the place I had been and without really trying, I lost 23 lbs. Nothing really changed except my state of mind.

So, I have now 10 more lbs to lose and I thought, "hey,..what would the IC tell me to focus on in order to do this?"

I asked actually, "How can I easily reach my goal weight?"

Here was the answer, IC is really amazing:

Hexagram 20
Overview is a time for composure and contemplation. As a result of profound contemplation, a hidden force emanates from us, influencing others without their being aware of it. Do not underestimate the power of this force. Like the wind blowing across the tree tops, its presence is perceived through the effect it has on everything it touches.

Shallow wells rarely strike water, and shallow minds often come up empty. The ability to keep still and simply observe deepens resolve, and attracts good fortune. Discern the difference between what is deep and what is surface within yourself - and you will be able to distinguish between the two in the outer world as well.

During a period between events, the practice of stillness with awareness is a good idea. Only by observing and absorbing the true nature of things - by apprehending the rhythms and cycles which guide all creation - can we discover the laws which apply to our own individual lives. Examine yourself and the overall situation, not just with the thought of discovering truth, but with the idea of concentrating your personal power.

Your Changing Lines

The Changing Lines are the part of an I-Ching reading that give the most powerful advice about a situation or issue, because they represent the factors that are causing things to change right now.

You have several Changing Lines, which indicates a relatively unstable situation with regard to your question.

The first changing line is line 1
When the novice practices contemplation, he or she often fails to perceive the unity of forces at work in the current environment. While such a view is all right for beginners, people of substance should know better than to be mislead by the surface appearance of things, and thereby miss the connectivity of the whole.

When in the presence of someone possessing deep understanding, pay close attention. Even when you do not actually comprehend a wise person's advice, it can still help you.

The second changing line is line 2
Self-centeredness inhibits contemplation by replacing the large with the small. It's like trying to view the wide, wide world through a small crack in a closet door. If you would be successful in the affairs of the world, let go of self-absorption, kick the door open, and let the world enter your soul!

The third changing line is line 3
Introspection does not mean escaping into the fantasy world of your own dreams. Learn to contemplate the effects your actions have upon the real world. In so doing you will discover whether or not you are truly making progress.

The fourth changing line is line 5
Self-examination is called for. Don't brood over your own shortcomings - that is a trap for the weak! Study the effect you have on people; and how events tend to unfold around you. Do not try to deny the obvious. Seek truth from experience, and keep your eyes unflinchingly upon the flame of reality, rather than the shadows of illusion.

Your Future Hexagram 26 Containment of Potential

This points to the containment of great power - power that increases as it is wisely stewarded. Like a river which has been dammed, or a cooking pot with the lid on, holding and containing power produces enormous potential. During normal times, daily ritual and habit help keep life ordered and serene; but in times of great opportunity, the force of a powerful personality is required. Focused attention is required to channel this great potential and achieve supreme success.

With regard to what is on your mind, you have considerable reserves of energy and support to draw upon. This is the right time to nurture creativity by collecting and organizing your good ideas and plans. In this way, even great and difficult undertakings can be successful.

A hidden source of power for the great is the study of the past. The lives of wise and successful men and women are like treasures buried in the earth. Great good fortune comes to those who unearth these valuable treasures by applying the lessons of the ages to current events.

Here is how I understand the above in relation to the question:

It seems to me that the IC is saying, "do not obsess or approach a goal with superficial motivations but how about your day in a relaxed state of awareness of the connection between your mind and body. This being, mind/body coherence.

Obsessive thoughts or behaviour breeds anxiety and anxiety leads to failure. The changing line that says, "do no brood over shortcomings" says to me that one should not entertain negative thoughts about ones body. In other words, make changes that will lead to weightloss but enjoy and appreciate yourself and the state of your body along the way.
"by apprehending the rhythms and cycles" says to me that we should be aware of our body's needs, it's natural rythm and work in accordance with that. Not trying to manipulate our bodies in an unnatural manner.

I am sure there are other people here on the forums that have lost weight or want to lose weight, this is an issue of physical and psychological health for many people....The IC knows what we each specifically need in regards to our health and what special needs we have.

Does anyone else have a thought on this reading?
Have you used the IC for advice on your health or weight?

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
"I asked actually, "How can I easily reach my goal weight?"

Hex 20.1 suggests that you find the cause of the weight problem.

Hex 20.2 says not to just concentrate on losing a few pounds but to find the reason why you gained weight in the first place.

Hex 20.3 this says you should look to your behaviour to figure out why you have a weight problem then you will know how to proceed.

Hex 20.5 says to examine your personal life to see if there are any other issues to do with the weight issue.

Hex 26 says to watch what you eat, exercise and have patience, stay focused on achieving your goal. The text says "not eating at home brings good fortune", I suppose because your kitchen is full of nasty goodies.

laylab

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Willowfox,

that made me laugh :) no there is nothing nasty in my kitchen at all. In fact there is NOTHING in my kitchen. I have a very tiny kitchen so I never cook at home. I grab salads out.

I have only 10 lbs to lose, so this isnt such a big deal.

My point of the thread was to encourage others who may want to lose weight to analyse the reasons they don't, by going beyond diets and into the mind and emotions.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I forget what hexagram and line this is, but I get:

Eat less, exercise more, perseverance furthers.
The big depart, the small arrive.

magictortoise

visitor
Reaction score
Laylab,
I don't think questions about weight loss are trivial. So good question and good analysis by both you and responders. Just a thought on the one particular word in the question: easily. I think it was Confucious who once stated 'Easy ways do not come from Heaven'. Or maybe it was Aristotle. No matter, it is a fine observation.

Best regards,

KgW

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Interesting that you received Viewing as the first hexagram, laylab. I once made an effort to get back in shape and the very first thing I did was to follow a feng shui tip that suggested putting up a full length mirror outside one's bedroom door. I guess the thinking was that if you saw yourself as you appeared coming out of your bedroom this would do something. I don't know. But I EASILY lost the weight and while I did follow a diet (26. Great Restraint) I think this VIEWING device is what made the difference.

Very good, Brad!:rofl:

Last edited:

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Playing around with how 20.1.2.3.5 > 26 might apply to weight loss...

20. Contemplation
Contemplation . The ablution has been made,
But not yet the offering.
Full of trust they look up to him.

20. Thinking About Losing Weight.
Thinking about it. The intention is there,
But not yet the game plan.
Certain it can be done, I look for guidance.

The kings of old visited the regions of the world,
Contemplated the people,
And gave them instruction.

In an ideal world, a personal trainer would come to my house,
Evaluate my situation,
And tell me exactly what to do.

Six at the beginning means:
Boy like contemplation.
For the inferior man, no blame.
For a superior man, humiliation.

Just thinking about getting in shape.
Not a bad thing.
But not enough.

Six in the second place means:
Contemplation through the crack of the door.
Furthering for the perseverance of a woman.

Just thinking about it will bring in some new insights.
But insights are not enough.

Six in the third place means:
Contemplation of my life
Decides the choice
Between advance and retreat.

Seeing how my decisions have been influenced by social pressures
Helps me recognize
Whether I truly need to lose weight, or am just being influenced by impossible media images.
Or on the other hand, if I am being subjected to media pressures to eat more than I by myself would actually choose to.

0Nine in the fifth place means:
Contemplation of my life.
The superior man is without blame.

Having throughly considered my body type, calorie intake, level of exercise, social pressures etc. etc.
I see I can achieve and maintain my ideal weight without a problem.

Thus I select a diet program that suits my needs...

26. Great Restraint.
26. The Self Discipline Program

Perseverance furthers.
Resolve to stick with it.

Not eating at home brings good fortune.
Changing my eating habits brings good results.

It furthers one to cross the great water.
Take up swimming.

This approach promises even great and difficult undertakings succeed!

26, The Image
The superior man acquaints himself with many sayings of antiquity
And deeds of the past,
In order to strengthen his character thereby.

It would also help to join a support group or read the success stories of others.

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).