...life can be translucent

Menu

Have you got a favorite line?

M

maremaria

Hi ,

Somewhere I read that the book of changes covers 258.048 situations.(don’t recall the source ). Just wondering do you have a special hexagram, a special line or a special combination. ?
Something that you connected with a good ,bad, happy, sad ,important etc moment in your life. Something that you go back to read it again just like looking in the photo album of your life, when you have the need a special picture of a place, a person, a event etc. or about a book, a poem, a song, a painting.
(I don’t know if it make sense, what I am trying to tell you ?)

My favorite line (till now) is 2.2 . Straight, Square, Great. I love that line !!!!
Line 61.4 is also special to me . Is about a horse enclosed in a coral looking at the moon.
And last , but not least, 21.1.2 . I beautiful picture of a horse running with the moon.

Which is/are your favorite ? Does anybody wants to share it with the rest of us ?

Maria

B

bruce_g

Hi running horse Maria ;)

mmm, not really anymore. During the early courtship with Yi, the first 4 years or so, I had a major attachment to 11. At that time it was quite common to embroider things onto jeans, shirts, jackets, etc (hippy era), and the lines of 11 graced a few of mine.

Now, I've pretty much bonded with them all, and they all continue to move and expand in their meanings and personal values. In fact, I'm certain of precise meanings a whole lot less now than I was back then. Now, it is more like one pulsating, continuously morphing ball.

2.2 is an awesome line.

magictortoise

visitor
Reaction score
I like 53(6) the best. Love the image of birds drawing near the clouds.

I guess my most memorable oracle was back in the summer of '82 when I had just completed a hitchhiking trip across the US, beginning in San Diego. I had stayed a day in Boulder, Colorado and fell in love with the town. Next day I hitched out to Penna, my destination. While there I asked the oracle if I should move to Boulder and received hexagram 19, Approach. I think there were moving lines but can't remember which ones, though most of the lines are favorable in meaning. At the end of the summer I hitched out of Pa. and back to Colorado with only the pack on my back. I never regretted it. It was a major period of growth for me. I also started playing tournament bridge, got my start in retail and came out of the closet as a gay man.

I am deeply grateful for the oracle's reply that humid afternoon in '82.

Ken Wanamaker

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Several of my favorites are lines that I had to work the hardest
to translate, because the Chinese is so obscure and they have
generally been translated badly. They just feel like Xmas.
Two examples:

11.3, 9 3rd, Zhi Gua 19: Lin, Taking Charge
(Fan Yao 19.3: sweet commitment, be concerned, avoid error)
There is no level without a slope,
No going without a return
It is difficult to persist with no errors
Do not worry: these are certainties
In nourishment find happiness

13.5, 9 5th, Zhi Gua 30: Li, Arising
(Fan Yao 30.5: tears streaming like water, grief, good fortune)
Fellowship with others begins with wailing and weeping
but then follows with laughter
Mighty armies can entertain each other
13.5x Fellowship with others with such a beginning:
Through balance (comes) orientation
* Mighty armies entertaining each other:
Praising each other’s abilities

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I asked the I Ching, "Have YOU got a favorite line?"

I received hexagram 8. Pi, no change, "Inquire of the oracle once again..."

mudpie

visitor
Reaction score
Great story, Ken.
wasnt there a chain of retail stores called Wanamaker's? any connection?

hollis

visitor
Reaction score
yes.

ummm.:)

Favorite line. When I get 26 line 6, I go to the moon.

magictortoise

visitor
Reaction score
wasn't there a chain of retail stores called Wanamaker's

Yes there was and we are related but, as my mother likes to say, "not close enough to feel the money". :) I was born in central Penna and the department store chain had its start in Philadelphia, if I am not mistaken. So I guess retail is in my blood.

Ken

magictortoise

visitor
Reaction score
I asked the I Ching, "Have YOU got a favorite line?"

I received hexagram 8. Pi, no change, "Inquire of the oracle once again..."

I am thinking this is the I Ching's favorite because of the call to self examination. This tells me what a great value the I Ching places upon self-knowledge.

Ken W.

PS great question BTW

nhyuyi

visitor
Reaction score

Hexagram 48 no lines...I feel wonderful when I get that!

b

mudpie

visitor
Reaction score
I know this seems like it might be the favorite line of those who use the *I Ching for Dummies*, but my favorite line is 14.6.

when struggling to finish grad school, feeling overwhelmed and uncertain about continuing, I asked the Yi one late night if it was worth it to continue. 14.6 was a shining comfort. to me it is a line of destiny. some things in one's life can be a 'maybe-yes, maybe-no', and others are supremely right...the jackpot doorway, not because it necessarily leads to wealth or fortune, but because behind that door are so many other doors for which you now will have the needed key.

14.6 ..heaven is smiling, your spirit guides are beaming, "this is my beloved *son* in whom I am well pleased" type of thing :)

And sometimes I have noticed with this line that the connection will not always be obvious, sometimes it will be a situation where you feel iffy, it wont look like a "room at the Ritz," it might be something you'd almost say nahhh to. Rather like the first time I opened that grey "doorway" marked Wilhelm Baynes, saying "hmmmph, i wonder what this is...?" That was a 14.6 moment.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thats the interesting thing, why a line is a favourite for you. Interesting Listeners experience with 14.6 for though it looks a lovely line it never means much to me so I learn from seeing why she likes it, what it has meant to her. So why is 48 unchanging loved by Blink ? Why does Brad like 11.3 it seems so neutral ?
Why does Hollis 'go to the moon' when she gets 26.6 ?

My favourites are 33,5 and 6 and 34,5 amongst others - 33 so often lets me breathe a sigh of relief coming when i so want to depart something - it feels like a blessing on it.
34.5 feels good to let go of that aggravating goat, it seems the end of alot of strife is around the corner - and knotty things turn out smoothly, and i won't have to do all the pushing and shoving i thought = phew :cool:

B

bruce_g

The times I "feel" least like 14.6, is when I receive it. There must be several metaphors for that: Value of the empty bowl? When I am weak, then am I strong (2Cr 12:10), etc. hmh...

M

maremaria

Thats the interesting thing, why a line is a favourite for you. QUOTE]

Yes it is for me too.
I wanted an informal and light conversation thats why I post this thread. as you said I leant something more about the lines and about the people. its interesting how Listener feels about 14.6 and how Bruce when gets the same line. I never thougth the way you see 33 and 34 and I can relate to Ken's feeling about 19 situation. as for the horse in my line is and old friend that we have lost connection a long time ago and now I meet her again and seeing her running with the moon was I big relief for me.

Thanks everbody for sharing.:hug:

B

bruce_g

I have a loooong list of such moments !!! :eek:
Why do you think Yi do that to us ?

I think it's especially noticeable for pivotal lines, times when something shifts either to its opposite or to something very different in nature. Like the top lines of 42/increase and 41/decrease, for example. Yet, 14.6 is different in this way, as the entire hexagram speaks of something large or great being possessed (and quite probably being processed as well). At the height of possession I suppose we're unaware of what we possess, and so it affirms and reminds us.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Not being aware that I had any particular favorite, I asked the I Ching to tell me, "What is my favorite line?" I received 14, no change,

POSSESSION IN GREAT MEASURE.
Supreme success.
The superior man curbs evil and furthers good,
And thereby obeys the benevolent will of heaven.

Yeah, I could see that on a t-shirt.

mudpie

visitor
Reaction score
POSSESSION IN GREAT MEASURE.
Supreme success.
The superior man curbs evil and furthers good,
And thereby obeys the benevolent will of heaven.

Yeah, I could see that on a t-shirt.

LOL. so could i. and we should have them made so we can wear them with our sandals and socks. sort like telling the whole world "we got it going on, baby"

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite line is 61.2. When I made my website, I wanted another name than my own. Lise is still half of my own name, and I looked for Chinese characters which sounded like li and se. Se is very much like Chinese zi (pronounced zuh). So: li zi. For li I found the cry of cranes and waterbirds, which appealed to me. For zi there is the term of respect: Laozi, Junzi, Zhuangzi and so on. But that seemed very arrogant.

Literally it means things like "son, seed, young". I decided to ask Yi if I could use that. I got 61.2... about the cry of the crane and its young!

So since then it feels a lot like 'my' line. I also liked all those tortoises in the fanyao 42.2. Seemed very appropriate for a website about an oracle.

LiSe
YiJing, book of sun and moon

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
1.4 is kind of an unusual line:

"Wavering flight over the depths.
"No blame."

Wilhelm says of this line, "A place of transition has been reached, and FREE CHOICE can enter in."

So times of Free Choice are so rare a special line has been assigned to them?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I agree its a strange kinda line. I think its about more than everyday indecision though, I feel its often about states of being. I've found it come up for odd mental/physical phenomena - like lucid dreaming/astral travel or being out of ones everyday conciousness. The dragon/spirit hovers between states of being - its a bit of a 'spacey' line i think :cool: Free choice about whether to dwell in body or out is indeed rare for us I think - but we have a glimpse of it now and then

charly

visitor
Reaction score
...Line 61.4 is also special to me . Is about a horse enclosed in a coral looking at the moon.

María:

61.4 was ever intriguing for me but I like very much the horses and the moon.

Some years ago, after a life using Wilhelm/Baynes in spanish version, I was interested in modernist translations and I find the page of Steve Marshall, there I saw the «Calling Crane» and I got my 1st. chinese big5 text of the ZhouYi, since then 61.2 was my preferred line.

鳴 ming2 鶴 he4 .................. Singing crane
在 zai4 陰 yin1 ..................... at shadow
其 qi2 子 zi3 ........................ her baby
和 he2 之 zhi1 ..................... responds her (1) [like in a chorus]

我 wo3 有 you3 ................... I have [the crane is speaking!]
好 hao3 爵 jue2 ................... good wine,
吾 wu2 與 yu3 ...................... May I
爾 er3 靡 mi2 之 zhi1 ........... pour it with you? [very polite]

I believe that this line is a promise of harmony and communion as an image of maternal love, not far from the classic meaning of 中zhong1 孚fu2 (2).

I ever wonder if the crane was speaking to me or to his baby.

Maybe he is speaking also to you (3).

Yours,

Charly

-------------------------------------------------------
(1) 和 he2 = and / together with / with / peace / harmony / union /
(2) although I think that 孚fu2 is not at all «sincerity»
(3) I believe she is speaking to all of us (but this is another story).

M

maremaria

Maybe he is speaking also to you (3).

Hi Charly,

I don't know if the crane speaks to me. As a matter of fact I not very sure what this line talks about. The only thing I know , is when I first read this line in another thread I had a picture of my mind where people are gathered together,drinking wine and sharing themselves with the others. When the wine is "talking" or when the hearts are talking.

((3) I believe she is speaking to all of us (but this is another story).

Can you explain what this another story is about ?

Maria

charly

visitor
Reaction score
I don't know if the crane speaks to me...
I not very sure what this line talks about... when I first read this line... had a picture of my mind where people are gathered together, drinking wine and sharing themselves with the others. When the wine is "talking" or when the hearts are talking...
Can you explain what this another story is about ?

Hi, María:

Firsth of all, she is speaking to you, out of doubt.

Second, this line talks about so much things that we cann't count. Among other this line makes a promise, things can be harmonious and you can be invited to joint good people. Something highly personal, between you and me (1).

Third, you said it: when wine is shared, hearts are talking. Wine is close related to initiation rites and also, among chineses, a gift to the mother earth.

For me this line makes sense in the context of the whole hexagram considered at the light (2) of initiation rites. Say youngs initiation, magic initiation, political initiation.

I have not the chinese text now at hand, I'll post it assap with my perspective as a initiation rite story for both sexes (3).

And now, the other story:

I think that a book ever speaks to his readers in a general sense, but when the book is an oracle he speaks personally to his reader. When the reading is a consult, the reader grants a meaning in the context of his own problem an experience, no matter what the text really says (4). When you are reading / consulting the book, the book is speaking not only to you, but about you!

If you don't understand what the book is talking about, think firsth of all that is talking about you, then maybe you'll understand him.

Remember:
No man is an island, entire of itself... any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."
John Done, 1624
who was quoted by Hemingway at he end of «For Whom the Bell Tolls»
http://community.middlebury.edu/~harris/donne.html

It sounds some mornful but contains a good advice and, like initiation rites, is coming to death and turning to life, a circular trip, maybe like H.61.

To be continued.

Yours,

Charly

-------------------------------------------------------------------
(1) Few times the I Ching uses pronouns like YOU or ME.
(2) Moon light, of course, this is a yin hexagram.
(3) Think about «suckling pigs an fishes» as yang and yin people, say guys and girls.
(4) Even a not so good translation can give you a good advice. Translators problem is other than readers problem. Translators work for giving a text able to be read and used. Readers search for personal meanings, warnings and advices.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).