...life can be translucent

Menu

Social Situation

U

unsubscribed_cm

I was at lunch with some friends. When they brought up a topic and started behaving in a way that I found offensive. I said nothing, but remained quiet.

I asked the Yi to comment it said:

Hexagram 21.1
-to-
Hexagram 35

21.1 Shows somone in a situation where one cannot walk. So I suppose I was the one being bitten, and not visa versa. =/

Then I asked, How should I deal with situations of offensive speech or behavior from friends.

It said 50.6
-to-
Hexagram 32

50.6 - I took it as despensing words of a sage at first, wouldn't this be like "throwing pearls before swine? Lise's site says somthing like protect your spiritual inspiriation from the dregs of the world. So I'm not sure here.

50 means transform somthing. 32, means persevere and keep going and going and going.

What do you all think?

magictortoise

visitor
Reaction score
Hello Cyclo,
Well 21(1) shows the subject with his toes fastened in the stocks. It also attaches a judgment of No Blame, so were it me I would interpret it that the oracle is not finding blame with your non-action. Indeed it may be that any action you would have taken would have only made matters worse. You are not to blame for your restraint, i.e. your feet fastened in the stocks.

As for the other question I think that situations are different and sometimes you can step up to the plate and sometimes you have to remain silent so I don't really care for the general rule question as such. But you did ask the question and the line received is the line of the sage who is in the world but not of it. 6th lines are outside the general situation so maybe the book is telling you to remain reserved and not loose yourself or fall in with their practices.

As a side thought I would question my involvement with these friends if it is the same set of friends and their behavior is habitually offensive. Why would you want to hang out with them long term if they habitually exhibit behavior that is offensive to you? You might ask the Yi whether they are worth spending time with or whether it is time to go it alone until you find friends with whom you share a better and more mannerly time.

Best regards and keep us posted. I like your question and your concerns.

Ken Wanamaker

U

unsubscribed_cm

Thank you Ken,

That is a great paragraph. The sage who is in the world but not of it. Is that the general place of the 6th line?

Interesting somtimes the 6th line gives misfortune... like 21 in-fact.

21.1 - could imply a situation of the other as well here - in this case the others. Perhaps my non-participation, non-action or self restraint, could have been the effect of biting through. And therefore if activating line 1, the offensive behavior is restrained - or as wilhelm put it: "It is a warning to halt in time on the path of evil."

Who knows...

magictortoise

visitor
Reaction score
I took a class in the I Ching at University many years ago. It was offered through the Department of Religious Studies and the way the professor explained the line situation was like this:

Lines 2-5 are the field of man, every day affairs, etc. The first line is the line of the infant who is in the world but doesn't know it, not yet in the field, so to speak. The last line is the line of the sage who is in the world but not of it, outside the field, so to speak, and no longer concerned about the affairs of the world [c.f hexagram 18(6)]. The meanings of specific 6th lines will change with the character of the hexagram involved. In the same way you will find that third lines are often unfortunate; yet look at 15(3) one of the most favorable lines in the book. What we are speaking of here is the character of the sixth PLACE more than a specific 6th line. Also note in various places that certain lines refer to husband/wife, prince/official, mother/daughter/son and so forth. Most of these concern lines two through five, because the various roles represented by lines 2-5 are still active in the field of man. So you see we have every role in the culture given a place in the hexagram. Marvelous stuff, wouldn't you say?

It would make an interesting study to read all the 6th lines in succession to get a feel for their gestalt.

W/R to 21(1) possibly referring to others do keep in mind that the question was asked specifically about yourself.

Best regards,

Ken Wanamaker

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
I asked the Yi to comment it said:

Hexagram 21.1
-to-
Hexagram 35

Hex 21.1 is about a person who has done something wrong and must be punished, not harshly but given a telling off. Now, this does not apply to you as you were not being offensive or rude, it applies to your friends. They do indeed need to be told that their behaviour was wrong and offensive.

Hex 35 says that it would be good for you to talk to your friends and explain to them that what they were doing was very impolite, in that way you will gain their cooperation, show them where you are coming from, your values and feelings about such transgressions.

Then I asked, How should I deal with situations of offensive speech or behavior from friends.

It said 50.6
-to-
Hexagram 32

Hex 50.6 basically this is again giving you the same answer as Hex 21.1 > 35 did, explain to your friends what they were doing was both wrong and offensive.

Hex 32 says to keep at them until it sinks in and they learn not to do it again.

U

unsubscribed_cm

Thank you Willow.

I will stand up for my ideals next time...

U

unsubscribed_cm

I just asked it if I should stand up for myself

And got

38.5 -> 10

So I did it and asked about it afterward

and got

52.4 -> 56

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
I just asked it if I should stand up for myself

And got

38.5 -> 10

So I did it and asked about it afterward

and got

52.4 -> 56

Hex 38.5 > 10 Yes, stand up for what you think is right but do it a civilized and polite fashion.

Hex 52.4 > 56 don't worry about it, just go on your way.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).