...life can be translucent

Menu

21.6, with Follow-Up

adarkana

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I have searched this board over for insight into Hexagram 21, line 6. The conventional meaning is fairly clear, though there is some confusion in my mind whether the bottom & top lines of Hexagram 21 refer exclusively to punishment meted upon one's self. I read, somewhere, that lines 2-5 see the referent as punisher while 1 & 6 give the questioner a dose, as it were, of her own medicine. Along those same lines, a number of threads appear to interpret the top line as a comment on one's lack of receptivity/fitness to receive the oracle's message, punishment in itself.

Anyway, having done my best to "listen" & respond to this advice I consulted again, asking explicitly what it is I am unable or willing to hear. Resulting in Hexagram 37.6.

Comments regarding either hexagram/line would be appreciated. It may be worth noting that issues of family (one I seem to be joining, rather than the one joined at birth) contextualize both questions.

Last edited:

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
The problem here is that there is no question just an answer.

Hex 21.6 Is about a person, could be you as I don't know the question, who gets in in their head to do their own thing despite be warned not to and ends upon in a lot of trouble because of it.

Hex 37.6 perhaps you should be responsible for your actions.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Yes the only thing i can think of you may not have been willing to listen to for 37.6 is about taking responsibility or care in some way.

cassius_clay

visitor
Reaction score
Maybe some of this stuff helps.

Hexagram 21, line 6 :

We are dealing with an incorrigible wrongdoer. The only recourse is to fully remove this person from the general population or the group, or to fully cancel the person's privileges, etc.

Hexagram 37, line 6 :

When you recieve this line you are being instructed to attend to cultivating spiritual law as a means of establishing an orderly and sucsessful family (organization). Spirituality is the most important thing you can pass on to your children. Most people do not think this. They place the greatest premium on the materialistic education of their children, and cannot understand why the world is in shambles.

J

jesed

Hi adarkana

Just in case the comment could be useful

Seems to me the issue you are facing is about obstacles to your propper incorporation into a pre-stablished group.

This obstacle seems to be about a conflict of authority (line 6 of hex 37 is the authority of the clan that is well received and followed)

Best wishes

adarkana

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Not posting a question here was, in fact (nod to WF), a problem. I don't remember now which of my myriad autumnal 2007 anxieties lead this line of questioning.

My guess is it had to do with our American Thanksgiving tradition & the horrible way each of us in that relationship were dealing with the pressure. Already by that point we didn't want to be together: but our families did seem to care, and (to speak at least for myself) appearances were important to keep.

Have no idea if this helps, but lately I'm conscious of my responsibility to report "real life" results from the past. Especially since contemporary readings seldom bless my present adventures.

Last edited:

lao hu

visitor
Reaction score
Hexagram 21 Line 6

Hello I have been using this board as a way of both learning and as a tool to interpret my readings. as most of us know by now this can sometimes be a bit difficult, especially for those born in western society. but when doing most of my interpretations I have to take into account the imagery and explanations in both a literal and figurative sense. since the context of the Iching is taken from Sino- Chinese culture:bows:, and the wording is actually literal in most cases . that each line is actually making a statement about something that actually does occur or in this situation did occur in a historical context and setting..

for example Hexgram 21. line 6 speaks of a Cangue which was a form of Judical punishment for felons in China, also explained in more detail at 123 Iching referring to line 6 as form of punishment given to what we would call habitual criminals or offenders...

I have gotten this reading in reference to a girl friend who has a criminal past and exhibits reprobate behavior after she was arrested for felony mischief. followed by hexgram 29 line 6 following her conviction in which she actually was put in a state jail for 9 months, where in it states

" Line 6

Bound with black ropes. ( Handcuffs and waist chains) Hedged in by thorns( Prison walls with Razor wire). For three years he cannot find the way. Great misfortune.

Here is a man so hemmed in by danger ( kept locked up by prison Guards and persons on Guard towers with Guns) that he cannot find a way out of it ( no way to escape)

. But although his perilous situation will persist, it is finite and he can plan for his eventual release. ( she was give a sentence of 210 days) and released

Now to drive home my point. she had been warned about her behavior on numerous occasions with prior arrest and run ins with the local authorities. but refused to listen or take heed and was severely punished ( placed in the Cangue or in this case given a record as a ((((Felon))))
divined 3 months before her conviction by hexagram 21 line six and when asked the outcome of the case hexagram 29 line 6 also 3 months before her conviction

this was corroborated by hexagram 38 line 3 in subsequent readings as to her being marked as different from others in society and marked as a dissident or criminal....

but at the time of doing the readings I could see what Yi was telling me only the language and imagery was explained in the context of a 10, 000 year old text using the best explanations possible taken from Chinese culture most of which I was only marginally familiar with. so I have had to actually look deeper into the meaning of the explanations of each line and find a modern equvelent in both western and eastern culture to get a better understanding of what is being said, for at times it can be quite enigmatic or perplexing to understand.:confused:

so always look of any historical and cultural explanations, because you will find even the best translations are wrong when done from a western point of view, and will give you the wrong interpretation based on a simple misunderstanding of what each line is actually referring too from a Chinese perspective...:bows:

sp in this case 21 line six is about a person who keeps doing criminal wrong and will not change because they see no reason to do so and becomes a hardened criminal:mad:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).