...life can be translucent

Menu

when readings don't come true

imsonicaal

visitor
Reaction score
I asked a question regarding my application for entry into school, and the iching said it would be successful. However, I got a letter that says it's unsuccessful. What gives?
I feel like i've lost faith a little in oracles..
please tell me im wrong.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
If you care to post what answer you received and how you interpreted it perhaps someone here would see how a different (less encouraging, sigh) answer might have been deduced from the hexagram. I try to avoid reading an I Ching responce as meaning "Yes" or "No" by playing the devil's advocate and asking myself when I look at the hexagram, "How does this support a positive answer?" and "How does this support a negative answer?" Another thought to consider is that when the I Ching discribes an outcome it may be indicating what you are lacking. For example, if you ask the I Ching how the prospective employer feels about you and the responce is, "The powerful prince is honored with horses," this sounds positive but could actually be saying that only powerful princes are honored and that you must first become a powerful prince.

Whatever, hindsight is always 20/20.:eek:

Maybe you could ask the I Ching something along the lines of "What ought I do/what perspective should I have to improve my ability to interpret the answers?"

I'll be interested to know what you come up with.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Nobody here has a clue about "what gives" unless you post your answer. Or do you want us all to make blind guesses.

fallada

visitor
Reaction score
Insomnicaal,

Don't mistake the cast sign for the meaning you attach to it. Two different categories.

Give this a try: Consider the text of the moving line(s) not only in the cast hexagram but also in the final (resulting) hex. Example: 23.5.6 – 8.Reading line 23.5 and line 23.6 and then 8.0, you probably consider reunion. But with looking at 8.5 and 8.6, you may recieve good advice and gain a more appropriate perspective on the situation.

Hindsight on a broad sample of your Q/A will tell if this works for you.

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
I asked a question regarding my application for entry into school, and the iching said it would be successful. However, I got a letter that says it's unsuccessful. What gives?
I feel like i've lost faith a little in oracles..
please tell me im wrong.

You're wrong. You're also not understanding that the Yi doesn't work best as a crystal ball for fortunetelling. It's like using a car to transport grain or cattle - it's not the best tool for the job.

doingnotdoing

visitor
Reaction score
You're also not understanding that the Yi doesn't work best as a crystal ball for fortunetelling. It's like using a car to transport grain or cattle - it's not the best tool for the job.

I agree with dobro. Thomas Cleary's 'The Taoist I Ching' has this quote from the Ninth Century Taoist Lu Tung-Pin in the introduction, which some may find offensive:

"Although the words are very clear, they are also very vague. The shallow may take the I Ching to be a book of divination, but the profound consider it the secret of the celestial mechanism."

I've found the Yi to be invaluable in illuminating the path, but less than ideal in forecasting the specifics of the ultimate destination. It's up to each person as to how they choose to utilize it, though.

M

mirian

Imsonicaal,

We are not granted to know every or any event that lies in the future, regardless of the oracle used to predict it or the questions we pose to the Ching. Sometimes an event of great significance or an unfortunate incident will remain veiled to us until the day it happens. I am not saying that it is the case of your entry to school;) because of course it depends on the hexagram you got and how you did interpret it. But the Yi might not have given you the straight yes/no answer that you were expecting to get.

Best of luck

imsonicaal

visitor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I didnt post the hexagram because I couldn't find it. I was sure I recorded it somewhere. I know that it mentioned something really positive. And I asked it very long ago.

However, good news - I got accepted into another program, so it wasn't "wrong" after all. I guess it could have been indicating an acceptance, just not a specific one I was asking about.

Thanks for all your replies. I would bump this up again if I find the hexagram and the interps that led me to the original conclusion.

Thanks fallada for suggesting reading the continuation of the hexagrams for the changing lines. They indeed provide more insight.

I also agree with that it's how I interpret it. I use it as a fortune telling oracle because I know it can illuminate some aspects of the future, though I was wondering if I could bank on it. But my doubts were quelled afterall.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).