...life can be translucent

Menu

42 > 32

sollina

visitor
Reaction score
The question "What do I do about this relationship?" I got hex 42 with all changing lines.

I'm a bit confused with line 6. It states a warning against inconsistency or it "predicts" it (it's a harsh word, no. I mean, can it be avoided?)

I'd say, the reading refers to necessity of constant "work", a reminder not to let things go stale...

Thanks for your ideas.

Tony_L

visitor
Reaction score
The question "What do I do about this relationship?" I got hex 42 with all changing lines. I'm a bit confused with line 6.

42 > 32: Increase, expand, strengthen > Enduring, persevere, make constant, marriage.

Your question was about what to do regarding the relationship.
The answer seems to be: strengthen the relationship and make it endure.

The fact that all lines of 42 are changing suggests a multifaceted situation. If only line six were changing, you would encounter # 3, difficulty at the beginning.

The fact that line six is changing suggests that you may need to face lack of support or opposition from others regarding this relationship. Legge says it clearly in his translation, to which I have added my own grammatical understanding in parentheses { } :

"we see one to whose increase none will contribute, while many will seek to assail him. {IF} he observes no rule in ordering his heart, {THEN} there will be evil."

Last edited:

sollina

visitor
Reaction score
42 > 32: Increase, expand, strengthen > Enduring, persevere, make constant, marriage.

Your question was about what to do regarding the relationship.
The answer seems to be: strengthen the relastionship and make it endure.

The fact that all lines of 42 are changing suggests a multifaceted situation. If only line six were changing, you would encounter # 3, difficulty at the beginning.

The fact that line six is changing suggests that you may need to face lack of support opposition from others regarding this relationship. Legge says it clearly in his translation, to which I have added my own grammatical understanding in parentheses { } :

"we see one to whose increase none will contribute, while many will seek to assail him. {IF} he observes no rule in ordering his heart, {THEN} there will be evil."

Hm... this is so weird to me. All the readings I got regarding this relationship hint at "someone opposing". I have no idea how to understand that. Is there anything pointing at any direction in particular?

And, I'm not quite sure how to understand "rule in ordering the heart". Am I to behave as I am supposed to instead of how I feel?

Thank you.

Tony_L

visitor
Reaction score
Sollina comments: "And, I'm not quite sure how to understand "rule in ordering the heart". Am I to behave as I am supposed to instead of how I feel?"

I think it means to be clear about what you want rather than to keep changing your mind. Be sure it's what you want and go after it. Don't be fickle. Etc.

Hope that helps.

Tony

sollina

visitor
Reaction score
I think it means to be clear about what you want rather than to keep changing your mind. Be sure it's what you want and go after it. Don't be fickle. Etc.

Hope that helps.

Tony

It most certainly does.
Plus, I have realised where the lack of support is coming from: my mother and a friend :duh: How could I have forgotten about that?!

Thank you very much for your interpretation.

gene

visitor
Reaction score
Here is a good example of overreading, and reading into, a hexagram. This is due to anxiety. We want to make it work. Believe me, I have been through this many times. I know how anxiety can wreck a reading. I've been there. I know how anxiety can cause you to try to read over and over again until we get a hexagram that seems very clear, and tells us what we want. Etc...

I wouldn't worry about the sixth line. In fact, I wouldn't worry too much about any of the lines except the fact they are there. Let's look at the structure of the hexagram. It is made up of two trigrams, the eldest daughter above the eldest son. What could be better for a relationship? Now lets look at the structure of the lines. Every line in the lower trigram is in relationship with the corresponding line in the upper trigram. Again, great for relationships. What does it change to when all the lines change? Hexagram 32.
Hexagram 32 has the same two trigrams in the reverse position, once again, great for relationships! And in hexagram 42, the judgment says, "It furthers one to undertake something, it furthers one to cross the great water." In other words, act on it. That is all. Just act on it.

If we take all the meanings of all the lines, we get carried away with a deluded enthusiasm. (See hexagram 16 line 6) If we try to act a certain way, be more this way, or be more that way, what happens? We stop being natural, we stop being ourselves. That has got to stop, ha ha. We must be natural. Now that doesn't mean there aren't things we shouldn't change. But when you start to analyze every little move, and make something of it, we are letting our analytical mind get too much in the way, and it destroys our spontaineity.(sp?)

Interestingly enough, the nuclear hexagram in 42 is 23, stripping away. The trigrams are k'un, the mother, and Ken, the youngest son, your friend.

I say just get out there, be confident, and be in control of yourself. Then let it flow.

Gene

sollina

visitor
Reaction score
Here is a good example of overreading, and reading into, a hexagram. This is due to anxiety. We want to make it work. Believe me, I have been through this many times. I know how anxiety can wreck a reading. I've been there. I know how anxiety can cause you to try to read over and over again until we get a hexagram that seems very clear, and tells us what we want. Etc...

If we take all the meanings of all the lines, we get carried away with a deluded enthusiasm. (See hexagram 16 line 6) If we try to act a certain way, be more this way, or be more that way, what happens? We stop being natural, we stop being ourselves. That has got to stop, ha ha. We must be natural. Now that doesn't mean there aren't things we shouldn't change. But when you start to analyze every little move, and make something of it, we are letting our analytical mind get too much in the way, and it destroys our spontaineity.(sp?)

Interestingly enough, the nuclear hexagram in 42 is 23, stripping away. The trigrams are k'un, the mother, and Ken, the youngest son, your friend.

I say just get out there, be confident, and be in control of yourself. Then let it flow.
Gene

Wow!... this puts things into a totally different perspective.
You do have the point: we do try to read into things and make it work the way which would be clear. But usually when I observe some readings from the past I can see, with the perspective the time offesrs, how true they actually were.

Yes, I guess this should be seen as a positive outlook for a relationship, and being present, confident and in control of myself are THE things.

Thank you so much.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).