Menu

42.4,6 > 17 - need help interpreting

ben_s

visitor
Reaction score
Question: what is the outcome of my pursuing the business consulting work
42.4,6 increase > 17 following

42 is positive:
It furthers one to undertake something. It furthers one to cross the great water.

Interesting that I did not specifically ask about it, but I have been reading some books about international business. My business partner and I want to explore the possibility, but we assumed we had to get established locally first. Maybe we don't have to keep that assumption.

If you walk in the middle and report the prince, he will follow. It furthers one to be used in the removal of the capital.

"Walk in the middle and report to the prince" - that's a pretty good description of a consultant's role, isn't it? Along with "being used" for a big project - a great reason to hire a consultant.

42.6 Here is where I have a problem understanding
Nine at the top means: he brings increase to no one. Indeed, someone even strikes him. He does not keep his heart constantly steady. Misfortune.

I am OK with the commentary from Confucius:
The superior man sets his person at rest before he moves; he composes his mind before he speaks; he makes his relations firm before he asks for something. By attending to these three matters, the superior man gains complete security. But if a man is brusque in his movements, others will not co-operate. If he is agitated in his words, they awaken no echo in others. If he asks for something without having first established relations, it will not be given to him. If no one is with him, those who would harm him draw near.

I understand how this applies directly to sales and service: shut up and listen! Build a relationship, then have a plan in mind, and only then ask for the order. Be calm, then we will walk in a calm way to a calm conversation with Mr. Big.

I hope that the negative outcome - "brings increase to no one. Indeed, someone strikes him"- is avoidable by following the advice of Confucius. I am afraid, however, that the "brings increase" might be unavoidable, no matter how much we try to do the right thing.

I really like the life shown in 17.

"FOLLOWING has supreme success. Perseverance furthers. No blame. Thus the superior man at nightfall goes indoors for rest and recuperation." A good day's work being of service, followed by a good night's rest (with no pager!). I'd be happy in that situation.

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I think 46.6 is more often about being undecided, dilettantish, wanting your cake and eating it, rather than being really selfish etc. The overall answer looks good but I just see the 42,6 as advice that you recognise when enough is enough, what your limits are, recognise greed or the desire to increase beyond what you need

Tony_L

visitor
Reaction score
42.4,6 increase > 17 following
42.6 Here is where I have a problem understanding
Nine at the top means: he brings increase to no one. Indeed, someone even strikes him. He does not keep his heart constantly steady. Misfortune.

Hi Ben,

In looking at the Chinese text (which does not have syntax like English), there is an alternate translation to Wilhelm. I would render it (loosely) as follows:
No one brings you increase, some may even attack you. If you initially have your heart set on a goal but you do not remain constant in pursuing your ambition, then there will be misfortune.

In this version, it is a warning that at some point you will be without allies and will face opposition, but you must stay constant in your goals to avoid misfortune.

Hope this helps.

Tony

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Wow, pretty heavy reading.
First, 42.6 He brings increase to no one and then 17. Pack it up and go to bed.
However, I don't think that is the only interpretation.
In fact I think 42.6 > 17 gives valuable advice on how to display your talents.
Backing up a bit, note that in 42.5 the person is seen as being this marvelous good hearted soul ("If in truth you have a kind heart, ask not. Supreme good fortune. Truly, kindness will be recognized as your virtue.") suggesting everyone easily recognizing the positive potential and taking it for granted this person will be the kind loving friend they assume him to be. Thus I think people easily recognize that you have talent in your field. BUT then we come to 42.6 "He brings increase to no one. Indeed someone even strikes him. He does not keep his heart constantly steady. Misfortune." Perhaps people are expecting more of you than is humanly possible? Perhaps they are even expecting you to work for free? So at the end of this hexagram of Increase we realize being treated as a God has it's obligations - obligations one may be incapable of meeting. The heart is unsteady, uncertain how to fulfill the crowds' projections. Fame has a price. 43 tells how to pay it, "Dispense riches downward and refrain from resting on virtue." Distribute while accumulating.

In terms of the current question I think it suggests you do something with your obvious talents that would demonstrate your abilities, dispense some of your riches. Maybe some volunteer work for some community organization? Help a Senior Center get a grant or whatever it is you do?

17. At nightfall the superior man goes indoors for rest and recuperation.
Do your best and sleep well.

Last edited:

ben_s

visitor
Reaction score
Very heartfelt thanks for these interpretations. I feel much more at peace from the additional perspectives.

Taking them all together, I think 42.6 has a double meaning. First, I need to ask if people really know what help I could provide. If I have not done enough to show what I can do, then I need to do more marketing and make more offers to help. I might not have allies - in other words, I might need to toot my own horn a bit by giving talks, writing articles etc. Or as Rosada said, do volunteer work for a meaningful cause. I need to be proactive, instead of waiting to get introduced or referred to prospective buyers.

Once I have done all that I can realistically do, I need to be sure to set boundaries. I need to not be afraid to say, "We are not equipped to do that additional work for you," rather than trying to please everyone by doing everything they can imagine.

I had a couple of follow up questions for the Yi, about balance between life and work. Should I continue with those readings in this thread, or make a new topic?

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
42.4,6 increase > 17

Line 42.4 says quite clearly that there should be men who mediate between leaders and followers, so yes go for it.

Line 42.6 says to help all concerned, another recommendation for consulting work. So, if you don't neglect anyone then no one will get angry with you.

Hex 17 is about getting a following of clients, very successful.

ben_s

visitor
Reaction score
if you don't neglect anyone then no one will get angry with you.

Thanks, Willowfox. I also like this interpretation of yours. I see two ways to take it. One is to help whoever we can, for example ask if there is another division that would like our services. The other is to be gracious to everyone, for example remember the name of the receptionist. Either way this is positive and we can do it.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Just a note,
I've experienced 42.6 as meaning "Don't spread yourself too thin." So in your efforts to not neglect anyone, I do think it's important to "keep your heart steady" and not be try to be all things to all people.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).