...life can be translucent

Menu

Depression 38.2

galah

visitor
Reaction score
I've been so depressed lately for weeks.

i asked the yi

Why am I so depressed?

Answer

38.2 to 21

I am thinking this means I am not living my own life and I need to bite through opposition. But I really don't know what that could be?

ben_s

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Galah,

Wilhelm's comment on 38.2 is "As a result of misunderstandings, it has become impossible for people who by nature belong together to meet in the correct way." What to do? 21 take a bite out of the misunderstandings!

Is this relevant?

Outside the Yi, I personally want to remind you that poor sleep, poor nutrition, stress, too many life changes, polluted environment, health issues etc. can all make a person depressed. So be sure to look around your life carefully. Is there a misunderstanding that keeps you from being in the right place, with the right people?

galah

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks Ben,

Well I have had a lot of life changes in the past year - moved to another country, switched jobs twice, worried about a loved one back home with cancer, a misunderstanding with my bf about where our relationship is headed. I thought we were on the same path. It looks like we aren't. Hmmm, seems every time I go visit the bf, I come home depressed and feeling lonely.

Have been lazy and should be exercising more.

ben_s

visitor
Reaction score
I wonder if you might actually be exhausted, worn out, lonely, and shaken up by too many life changes all at once. When life wipes you out, feeling wiped out is a natural reaction. Maybe you're tired because your life has been tiring!

What if you ask the oracle question like,
"Can I get comfort and stability in my life now?"
"How do I get into a supportive relationship that builds up my energy?"
"What is my path to a life of sparkling motivation?"

galah

visitor
Reaction score
yes, I think I am too hard on myself. What great questions too. I'll ask them after a good night's sleep. Thanks! :)

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Why am I so depressed? Answer 38.2 to 21

It strongly suggests your woes with the boyfriend are too blame.

steve

visitor
Reaction score
Why am I so depressed? Answer 38.2 to 21

Wow we meet the old black dog again
fight it, i dont know what the point is mr black
Its say you meet him in a dark alley or like bowie would say
face to face
Depression is serious right,,,so face it

Steve

Tony_L

visitor
Reaction score
I've been so depressed lately for weeks.
Why am I so depressed?
Answer 38.2 to 21
I am thinking this means I am not living my own life and I need to bite through opposition. But I really don't know what that could be?

Some thoughts:

38: feeling at an impasse, maybe feeling trapped. It's important to retain your individuality despite pressures to the contrary. Feeling like not being your true self can be a depressing experience.
[Above, fire; below. The lake.
The image of OPPOSITION.
Thus amid all fellowship
The superior man retains his individuality. ]

38.2: Perhaps feeling alientated from someone and wanting to renew the relationship.
21.2: Wilhelm comments, "The disappearance of the nose in the course of the bite signifies that indignation blots out finer sensibility." Biting off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind.
Maybe feeling angry and alienated from someone is fueling the depressed state.

I have no idea if any of these comments apply.

Take care,

Tony

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I recall Hilarys take on 21.2 as somthing like you are so close up to something you can't see it clearly so may be in 38.2 you get a chance to take a fresh look, get a new understanding of something that lifts you out of this alienated feelings thats depressing you.

I might take your answer as also indicating that some chance happening is going to shift you out of the depression by giving you this fresh perspective

galah

visitor
Reaction score
Here are the questions with answers. I'll add my thoughts to them as I meditate on them a bit.

44.2 to 33

44 - Coming to meet.
The maiden is powerful.
One should not marry such a maiden.

I'm seeing this as a powerful force that I should not entertain.

Line 2

There is a fish in the tank. No blame.
Does not further guests.

Hmmm this fish is not worthy to entertain.

33 Retreat

Retreat. Success.
In what is small, perseverance furthers.

I think this is telling me to retreat from the situation

20.6 to 8

15.1.2.5 to 5

Gosh well I'm not done with my thoughts obviously but gotta go to work.

Last edited:

galah

visitor
Reaction score
Depression is the old black dog that keeps showing up like a bad penny.

I do have to fight it in order not to sink so deep that I am unable to function.

my relationship with the boyfriend probably contributes to it as I feel stuck in a stalemate dead end relationship with him.

I probably am too close to my situations to really get a clear view. Stepping back is usually the answer to getting enough space from the problems to see them clearly.

willowfox, tony, steve, tojan, thank you all for your thoughtful answers.

:bows:

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score

44.2 to 33

Line 44.2 says that you are in a tricky position, your boyfriend is a big headache for you and you therefore need to stay away from him more, also you have become far too negative in your thinking about everything and that needs to change, so don't let other people blacken your mood. Therefore you can get comfort but you are the one that has to make it happen, it is entirely up to you now.

galah

visitor
Reaction score

20.6 to 8

I think this is telling me to look around outside of myself and to look at things objectively. Line 6 seems a little more complex to me as I am sort of getting it but not quite.

Hex 8 about holding together.

15.1.2.5 to 5

This seems to be telling me to try not to stress, be relaxed and confident. Put myself first.

Gosh well I'm not done with my thoughts obviously but gotta go to work.

galah

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks again willowfox. It looks like the boyfriend is causing my problems. it is hard to let him go for some reason even though I know it is for the best.

ben_s

visitor
Reaction score
20.6 > 8

I see 20.6 as someone who doesn't take things too personally, because there's a bigger perspective. That makes possible a union of shared values (#8).

I see 15.5 as saying that once you know you're on the right path, don't wait for an invitation: go ahead and do the right thing with energy.

galah

visitor
Reaction score
Funny how a cast I made today revisits this and in the search this thread came up.

I'm trying not to be apathetic about my work but it is hard. There is nothing wrong with my job at all Maybe I should seek treatment for depression because I'm still mostly the same as I was 2 months ago.

It seems just when one crisis is resolved another one pops up. It would be nice to have a little break. I went overseas to support a relative having cancer surgery.While I was there, the owners of the house I live in decide to sell the house so I have to move. So now I am worrying about that.

The question was

What should I do about my current job?

Answer is 21.2.4 to 41

steve

visitor
Reaction score
That was ages and ages ago
was sure that u can do that

Steve
(am i female)

openheartsf

visitor
Reaction score
I have suffereed with depression too, so I really feel fo you. I have explored many ways out of it. The thing that has helped me is the practice of meditation and with that the realization that suffering is only a rejection of the present moment.

It may not be for everybody, and it's not going to change you overnight, but this realization, as simple as it is, has started working for me (and believe me I’ve tried everything from pharmaceutical anti-depressants to natural supplements to therapy).

Hex 38 Opposition

K'UEI : seperate, oppose; contrary, mutually exclusive; distant from, absent, remote; animosity, anger;

All of these words imply that you are working against your life. We all do this. Until we learn to disidentify with our minds we are living like hamsters on a treadmill

When we reject our present reality it presents major conflict within us because we are not living congruently with our lives and we are waiting for our lives to get started. Even if it’s “bad” we have to accept the place we are in. And not everything that is “negative” is bad.

We have all of these labels that make us think we need something else, something more. Acceptance is the only way to be free from suffering. Read Eckhart Tolle “The Power of Now” or anything on mindfulness meditation.

If we “oppose” life…if we reject the now, we’ll never be happy. If we can accept our irritations, our pain, our longings, ALL of it, it takes a huge burden off our minds.

And the funny thing is that as soon as we stop struggling with our minds, things flow more easily in our llives.

"Love, joy, and peace cannot flourish until you have freed yourself from mind dominance""

Our minds have a way of controlling us...it's like an addiction. We feel helpless to our minds, but we can change this.

If we are always waiting “until then” for our lives to begin then we suffer and feel depressed. We judge ourselves, we think it needs to change...our feelings need to change...we need to change.

Depression can also be chemical (as a result of years of pain body experiences). But there’s a lot of evidence that shows that meditation and mindfulness actually corrects these brain imbalances. My guess is that it works very much like cognitive-behavioral therapy (but without the steep price-tag!).

Just my 2 cents, maybe some of this will resonate for you.
Best!

Last edited:

philish

visitor
Reaction score
an addendum to openheart's suggestion

Along with meditation, you might find EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) useful. Just look it up if you're interested. It works well with meditation as depression treatment, but it's best if you begin with an EFT practitioner and/or support group to get into the groove of it.

I've also recently made the move from Rx meds for depression to 5HTP and the amino acids seem to help quite a lot. Brain chemistry definitely needs a boost! :)

Peace,
philish

openheartsf

visitor
Reaction score
I've also had some success with 5-htp and other aminos. Tryptophan is great for insomina!

philish

visitor
Reaction score
Cool, openhearts. That's encouraging.

Part of my need to get of the Rx is practical--I can't find affordable insurance while I'm taking it. That, and I can no longer afford the meds. But I wouldn't recommend this path for someone with a serious mental illness dx like bipolar disorder.

openheartsf

visitor
Reaction score
Philish,

I found out about 5-htp from a book called the "Mood Cure". I weened myself off of anti-D's with it. I still get the blues on occasion but it keeps it in check.

Fish oil is supposed to be good too.
But definitely the meditatoiin is helping more than anything.We all have different reasons for depression but in my case I believe it's from an emotionally turbulent childhood and an emotionally distant mother (as a result I never developed a good secure attachment bond or learned how to self-soothe).

Turns out what you didn't get from your parents you can do for yourself through meditation.

Being mindful means waking up from a life on "automatic" (I love that quote!). But science shows that the brains of "securely attached" and those who are insecurely attached are quite different.

Meditation fixes it! Actually changes the brain. Cool. There is a book called t"The Mindful Brain" that explains the science.

Glad you found the aminos though, it will help!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).