...life can be translucent

Menu

23 line 4

millie

visitor
Reaction score
i basically understand this line, there is good stuff in past threads. but how does one marry the close-call, near disaster, qualities of this line, with the beauty of 35? can someone help with a lesson on interpreting two hexagrams with such different meaning? is there a formula or method for how to think of these?

J

jesed

All under heaven know the beauty of things as beauty
So ugliness is already there

All know the good of things as the good
So the not-good is already there

And so being and nothingness beget each other
Difficult & easy complete each other
Lasting & brief define each other
High & low rely on each other
Tone & voice resonate with each other
Before & after follow each other

(Bradford's translation)

Best wishes

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Only a problem if you see one as good and the other as bad.

For progress like in 35, you may have to do some stripping. For big roses you will have to cut the bush back in a good way.

And the other way around: for a good way of stripping, really cleaning things up, you need the daylight and energy of 35.

LiSe

B

bruce

Millie,

Above are two wonderful answers to your question.

Opposites, for the common western mind, appears as contradiction. Yet we understand that resistance is what creates strength, obstruction creates reward, limits create freedom, confusion creates clarity, and certainty creates doubt. It?s a ?different? way of seeing than the way we are accustomed to, where to oppose means to not cooperate.

millie

visitor
Reaction score
thank you everyone. i asked another question about the same situation, and got 35 line 4! the yi works in mysterious ways. obviously, there two hex are strong elements in the situation.

yes bruce. "to oppose means to not cooperate." this is how i tend to see. but cooperate can come from opposites. man and woman, for example. (although i am not saying we are complete opposites.)

lise. nice positive way to see this. jesed. thank you for the translation. i had not read that.

B

bruce

Millie, I was trying to say that "to oppose means to not cooperate" is exactly what is leading to your confusion in understanding the Yi.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).