...life can be translucent

Menu

Volunteering - travelling - Contemplating (hex 20)

em ching

visitor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am very soon travelling to an impoverished country to do some volunteering and I am feeling quite nervous (and excited!), but mostly apprehensive of my ability to help as I have never done anything like this before! I asked:

How can I make the best of the experience?
20. 1 Contemplation (View) - 42 Increase

I was amazed (generally I always am by the relevance of answers, but this time especially!) by the multiple references to the idea of travel - and of course to 'seeing' other people (and cultures!) I was also humbled: 'self-contemplation means the overcoming of naive egotism in the person who sees everything solely from his own standpoint'
(I felt the Yi was talking directly to me - I really hope that when I'm abroad I can rise above my emotional troubles ( and shyness) and be able to bring happiness to those I am meant to be helping) that is my aim, though of course I know nothing is ever that simple..

The moving line 1 : 'boylike contemplation' seems to suggest that I see without seeing - and perhaps that I need to be on guard against behaving in a detached manner from the local people when I'm there? (It will be a big culture shock) and perhaps in some way warning me that I shouldn't be naive about it?

I then asked What should I bear in mind when I'm out there?
9.1, 5 to 18 Work on what is spoiled

I am going to be helping vulnerable and unfortunate people (something I've never really done before and I hope I can bring something good to them and forget myself a bit...) Perhaps the Yi is saying that I as a small, relatively powerless individual, can only make a small difference, though it will be difficult (line 1) and that I must be mindful to involve others: 'pleasure shared is pleasure doubled'
And then hex 18 could literally be referring to the importance of making the effort to work towards repairing the damage to individuals in under-developed countries?

I really hope I embrace the experience while I'm there (and also rise above my worries so that I can help and bring positivity)
I am sure the readings speak of the need for me to become less self-involved in order to truly engage with what I am about to do...

Any interpretations of these readings would be great - I feel they are especially relevant and telling hexagrams to my questions!

Last edited:
D

diamanda

What beautiful answers you got!!

And here is 9 again, or rather, departing from 9 :)

I have nothing to add to your interpretations, i think you're spot on and you
put it all so nicely. The only thing i can add, is my own experience of 20>42
(just as an analogy/example).

A couple of years ago at work i had to start interviewing people with a view
to recruiting them - by myself (had done that before, but not by myself). So
i was getting really really anxious about it, and worrying about all sorts,
what will i say, how should i be, how was i supposed to be, etc. Then i cast
and i got this same answer as you. And then it dawned on me that, wait a
minute, the person i will have in front of me will be ten times as nervous
and as anxious, because they want the job, they need a job, and they will
so much want to make a good impression, and thus be much more troubled
than i am. So i decided to concentrate all my efforts not on thinking 'how
should i be', but instead on 'how can i make the other person feel as
comfortable, welcome, and valued as i can' - because i remember what it
feels like to be in their position! And so i did, and everything went so well,
and the experience was really enriching for me, and i want to hope for the
other people involved as well.

It's so nice of you to try to help out those in need em ching, wishing you
(and them!) all the best :)

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
How can I make the best of the experience?
20. 1 > 42

Line 20.1 says that you will enter a very different world where you will look around in amazement at what you see, and as you will be a novice you will probably make quite a few mistakes, as there could all be some communication problems as well but the advice is is to do your very best and to learn as quickly as possible about what your duties are.

Hex 42 Devote yourself to the task at hand and do all you can to help these people, be sincere in your work.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
I then asked What should I bear in mind when I'm out there?
9.1, 5 to 18

Possibly that you need to follow orders and not try to do things your way, and that these people will come to rely on you and the help that you provide them with, they will trust you so you will need to see them not only as fellow human beings but also as friends.

Hex 18 A lot of work will be required of you in order to reverse the damage done to these people.

hollis

visitor
Reaction score
change thinking of it as helping, which carries the guilt and habit of paternalistic, 1st world entitlement. (20 line 1). but if you are going to meet new people smell new smells wake up differently than your own bed, eat new foods, rough it up a little, roll your sleeves up and get involved , for your own personal reasons (9 line 1), you will make wonderful friendships (9 line 5) & adjust your motivations (hex 18) and outlook on the trip.

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
change thinking of it as helping, which carries the guilt and habit of paternalistic, 1st world entitlement. (20 line 1). but if you are going to meet new people smell new smells wake up differently than your own bed, eat new foods, rough it up a little, roll your sleeves up and get involved , for your own personal reasons (9 line 1), you will make wonderful friendships (9 line 5) & adjust your motivations (hex 18) and outlook on the trip.

ditto.

Just be yourself and be open, casting aside any cultural ideas and conditioning as best you can and muck in. I think you're going to have a big learning curve out there and it will enrich your perceptions and personality.

I think it's really exciting that you're doing this - do come back and tell us all how it goes!

Topal

em ching

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone - really excellent and helpful advice. I will definitely try my very best to look at it that way - and prepare myself for the challenges ahead.
And yes I shall return and tell you all how it went!

:bows:

Last edited:

Hujambo

visitor
Reaction score
I wonder how did it go? After all this time, you may not remember... I have just received a 9.1.5 - 18 reading for something I wish to apply for and the interpretations here would indicate it may be a good fit, albeit rather challenging.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).