...life can be translucent

Menu

combining dream w/reality?

elizabeth

visitor
Reaction score
I have pursued a freelance writing career for the past 6 yrs. My "office jobs" are taken purely to support me in a manner flexible enough to pursue this career. The writing is very important to me; "career" is not even the right word, it is more of an artistic pursuit and passion.

However, in order to write about the topic I specialize in, I relocated to another country 5 yrs ago. The living conditions here are very poor (3rd world). I live like a church mouse, there is often no hot water (or no water at all) and so forth.

This past year has been especially trying condition-wise and I decided (or thought I had) to return to the USA. However, the changes mentioned in the other thread are making the arrangement I had set up --which is a way to combine a higher salary that would afford me better living conditions, with the flexible schedule that allows me to continue to pursue the writing -- has now fallen to pieces. In short, I do not know what to do, I dont know what will happen, and I'm not sure how to structure a life that is manageable. To date I have had to choose: live in the USA on a nice comfortable lifestyle and no writing (bc the topic i cover doesnt exist there) OR, live poorly in another country but have my writing. I desperately want to combine both, somehow.

I thought if i just found another company willing to pay me more, I could take frequent trips to this other country; the other ideal setup is to find another local co to pay me more. Either seems close to impossible tho. ANd I"m not sure how the first option would really affect my writing -- i have felt i need to be HERE to really get INTO the market. Not just a 1-week trip a few times a year. That seems fluffy to me.

SO I asked the Yi
"Show me a picture of obtaining a higher paid US based job not connected to (this third world country) and how it will effect my writing pursuits."

27.4.5 and 25.

27. I / The Corners of the Mouth (Providing Nourishment)

The Judgement - The Corners of the Mouth. Perseverance brings good fortune. Pay heed to the providing of nourishment. And to what a man seeks To fill his own mouth with.

The Image - At the foot of the mountain, thunder: The image of Providing Nourishment. Thus the superior man is careful of his words And temperate in eating and drinking.

Line 4: Turning to the summit For provision of nourishment Brings good fortune. Spying about with sharp eyes Like a tiger with insatiable craving. No blame.

Line 5: Turning away from the path. To remain persevering brings good fortune. One should not cross the great water.

25. Wu Wang / Innocence (The Unexpected)

The Judgement Innocence. Supreme success. Perseverance furthers. If someone is not as he should be, He has misfortune, And it does not further him To undertake something.

The Image Under heaven thunder rolls: All things attain the natural state of innocence.
Thus the kings of old, Rich in virtue, and in harmony with the time,
Fostered and nourished all beings.
___

Obviously more cash would nourish me, I get that part :). But...

IT does not further him to undertake something? Vs Success? What is 25 telling me? and line 5, not cross the great water -- but not cross it in which direction, east or west?!

D

diamanda

Hi elizabeth,

From this reading, i get the impression that you are departing from
nourishment, departing from what you need. 27:4 speaks of looking
very very hard for something virtuous, and 27:5 speaks of relying on
friends. And 25 means as you know the Unexpected, the Natural. This
sounds to me as and/or. If you leave this country you're in, then you
will need to put in a lot of effort to sort out your life - you will leave
your nourishment, and you will have to strive hard to find something
else to fulfill you, and you're heading for 25, surprises, unexpected
unpredictable events. And/or, this 25 could be telling you, 'why leave
the thing you know fulfils you? follow your heart'.

Your other readings, i think they were telling you not to go anywhere,
but stay there, and accept whatever it is that your current company
offer you. As you said, the job itself does not matter much to you.
So, stay away from any dispute (59:6) and be receptive, and 23, "it
does not further one to go anywhere". That's how it sounds to me.

Also, about your writing, when you got 57:2,3>20, this is trying to
tell you that the I Ching has answered to you before, and extensively
on this matter, you know the truth, remember older readings on this,
and do not vacillate. The readings still hold true, whatever they were,
think, remember them, and stabilise your intentions again.

Hope this helps a bit.

elizabeth

visitor
Reaction score
Diamanda, thank you so much for answering. I feel very lost and very confused. This is awful.

I set plans in motion starting in August. I was feeling burnt out on writing since May and thought well maybe this is a sign. I gave notice on my apartment here and am getting on a plane on 11/19. I have a return ticket for March, but no place to stay... Now I'm feeling it is a mistake, although I know I have to spend winter elsewhere, there is just no daylight here and it impedes my ability to function.

What is worse, my parents/friends think I am moving back for good. The upset (in the other thread) about my work has made me think twice about all this. YES my writing is my passion and nourishment. YES i cannot imagine living without it but kept (keep?) hoping for some compromise. Now I feel I've made a somewhat irreversible mistake...

Before getting to the answers above, I asked the Yi a few other questions (YESTERDAY). Would you mind helping me with those answers?

1) What is happening in my writing career? 47. Exhaustion. Twice unchanging.
2) Will my move to the US affect my writing career? 47. Exhaustion. Twice unchanging.
3) What can i do to get out of that exhaustion mode then? (Even tho, FYI this month I do not feel it, things picked up 500% all of a sudden and my editor wants constant pieces from me).
29. The Abysmal. Unchanging. twice.

4)Show me a picture of my writing career if I return to X country (Not the USA) in March for several months. Hex. 40.2 Deliverance and Hex. 16 Enthusiasm

5) Show me a picture of my writing career if I return to X country for only several weeks in March.
24.1.4 The Turning point and Hex 16 Enthusiasm.

6) Show me a pic of using a US-based job, only with another company.

13 .1.5 Fellowship with Men and 56 The Wanderer.

(line 1= Fellowship with men at the gate. No blame.
line 5 = Men bound in fellowship first weep and lament, But afterward they laugh. After great struggles they succeed in meeting.) I take this to mean at first you'll be socializing w/the new people, which may be a welcome thing, there will be the usual office politics...but in the end you'll feel like an outsider bc it is not the place your heart is (which is writing).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

6) How can I combine my writing career WITHOUT living in poverty in X (this) country?
Hex 17.4.5 FOLLOWING and Hex.24 THE TURNING POINT.

line 4: Following creates success. Perseverance brings misfortune. To go one's own way with sincerity brings clarity. How could there be blame in this?

The fourth line, yang, shows one who becomes too materialistic, obsessed with the gains of hard labor. This is an unfortunate situation, since the real happiness of success will be lost. Realizing the situation, one can strive to change it.

line 5: Sincere in the good. Good fortune.

The fifth line, yang, shows a sincere person who works hard to achieve inner, as well as outer happiness. This brings success.

17. Sui / Following
The Judgement Following has supreme success. Perseverance furthers. No blame.
The Image= = Thunder in the middle of the lake: The image of Following. Thus the superior man at nightfall Goes indoors for rest and recuperation.

24. Fu / Return (The Turning Point)

The Judgement- Return. Success. Going out and coming in without error. Friends come without blame. To and Fro goes the way. On the seventh day comes return.
It furthers one to have somewhere to go.

The Image- Thunder within the earth: The image of The Turning Point. Thus the kings of antiquity closed the passes At the time of solstice. Merchants and strangers did not go about, And the ruler Did not travel through the provinces.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From that the most I can gather is I am supposed to follow something (but what?)
and avoid being materialistic. I have never been materialistic though == like I said, I live on poverty!
THere will then be a turning point (where? when? how will I know it?)

Can you help me especially with this last reading?

Last edited:

elizabeth

visitor
Reaction score
(In other words, I would like to find a way to avoid the poverty and low living conditions in this country, but continue staying here and writing. Do the two necessarily go hand in hand? I am not sure what the Yi says about that.)

elizabeth

visitor
Reaction score
Does 24 mean "return" as in Return to X country? I keep rereading those hexes and the lines. Follow something, do not be materialistic, work hard and ...return. But that doesnt solve the living in poverty thing...or is the Yi telling me I cannot solve it?

Last edited:
D

diamanda

Well, since you already got a ticket to leave, your choices are very limited now.
By moving to the US your writing career will dry out, but you knew this already.
29 says you need to keep flowing, as you said you've already set this in motion.

From your other answers, i get the impression that the whole thing of returning
to this country, and subsequently to your writing, depends solely on the people
you are surrounded by. If you get rid of people who are wrong for you, then you
will be able to pursue this with enthusiasm. This is obvious in 40:2, 24:4, 17:4.

The outlook is not very good for pursuing a US job with another company.
I still get the impression that you need to stick with the company you're with.
And only you know who are the wrong people who are influencing you badly.
If you get rid of those wrong people, and instead follow goodness, then there
will be a turning point, you will return to your inner light, and 'springtime' will
return in your life.

elizabeth

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Diamanda,

Today I managed to solve one problem. I found a subletter for my apartment here (I think, fingers crossed, will meet him Saturday). That means I can hold onto this apartment while I’m gone and have a place to return to. Strangely, my attempts to find other temp housing for March had all fallen through. I have to think that too is a sign of sorts. One huge hurdle overcome.

But to clarify, when you say returning to this country, I connect the non-USA country with my writing. Is that also what you meant?

Who are the incorrect people? There are a few sour grapes IN this company, but they’re based in the USA. The web site that I write for/moderate in my freelance speciality (freelance) doesn’t pay me for my efforts, that is the other “sour grape”… given the amt I have sacrificed to be here (low salary, no pension plan, no health plan, apartment w/o hot water some of the time, the list goes on). Other than that, I can only say my parents desperately want me to return to the US and get a respectable normal desk job and be like the rest of society’s drones…but they aren’t in this country. THose are the 2incorrect groups that come to mind.

When I asked "how can i combine a western level higher salary with a year-round residency in X country and continue writing for X magazine?" it gave me 49.5 and 55. In reading about 55, it means "enjoy the now, take what you can get, this is as good as it gets." Line 5 means cast off what isn't working... What isn't working is the low salary... but what DOES work is the tradeoff (low salary = free time to write). But the hexes imply staying with this company no?

I'm still looking for the financial answer but the Yi doesnt seem to be giving me one.

I'd appreciate any additional input on this. I know there's a lot of information here, and I have to sort it out somehow...

Last edited:

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Elizabeth
Here are a few thoughts for you to chew over
How can I combine my writing career WITHOUT living in poverty in X (this) country?
Hex 17.4.5 FOLLOWING and Hex.24 THE TURNING POINT.

17 - Following to me is about going with the flow and at the same time not forgetting to be true to yourself. Be adaptable and flexible towards what is happening to you now, you may need to experience what is going on now, but keep in mind the wider goals you have.

I like the Wilhelm comment on the IMAGE

Thunder in the middle of the lake:
The image of FOLLOWING.
Thus the superior man at nightfall
Goes indoors for rest and recuperation.

17.4 - Sometimes you will be influenced by the people and circumstances around you. This is a calling of the ego and you need to recognise this. Work your way through what is going on now and all will become clear to you.

17.5 - Hang on to your dreams. Make them bigger and more beautiful.

24 - With the realisations that you will gain you will see everything in a new light. You will understand yourself and what has been going on around you a lot better. Having taken a time of rest you will be able to now see things differently and implement things that will be right for the new you.

Take Care

Mike

Last edited:

elizabeth

visitor
Reaction score
Mike (my_key -- it has taken me more than a year to figure out that the nick is your name pronounced as if it had an -ey on the end *sigh*!)

My deepest gratitude for contributing your interpretation to this thread. Every input is helpful.

It sounds like I am due for "rest and relaxation" in both 17 and 24. I *like* what line 5 says about dreaming bigger. I have a few ideas along those lines but they pend on my return to X country in March for a big festival. Fingers (and everything else) crossed!

About line 4, that is curious. I am trying to decipher if I have been more persuaded to leave X country (when I should stay), or more persuaded to return/stay in X country (when in fact I should leave). It is hard, so hard, to know which is RIGHT for me at this point. I am hoping after the 3 month break something will be clearer. It has to be. It HAS to be!

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Elizabeth
Mike (my_key -- it has taken me more than a year to figure out that the nick is your name pronounced as if it had an -ey on the end *sigh*!)

So it has taken you 12 months to see into the mysteries of my name. It truly is wonderful when time allows insights to unfold in this way.;)

It is tough when you are in a quandry, but remember, there is no such thing as a wrong or right decision. They are all decisions. Make them and then enjoy the ride of the roller coaster.:eek:

Take Care

Mike

elizabeth

visitor
Reaction score
... I have to say, I disagree with (that is, do not live by) that theory or approach. I think there *are* wrong decisions and bad decisions, irreversible decisions that can have long-term repercussions in your life, things that can do you more harm than good. I don't take decisions lightly for that reason. Often situations cannot be "undone" once they're created. So I think making large decisions that may change the course of your life path need to be carefully considered. I don't think saying "oh it will all work out" necessarily is the right approach for each situation... i think it really depends.

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Elizaebeth
I respect your approach to life's decisions and that you think there are such things as wrong decisions.
I wasn't really saying to rush into making a decision or to treat the decision lightly. Of course you have to give each situation respect and honour your decision making process. Trust it. Caution is good.When the time is right you will make the best decision that you can at that time. With the benefit of eagle eyed hindsight you may consider the decision was wrong and has been more harmful than good, but you have to ask yourself would you have made that choice at the time if you thought it was the wrong one for you?

Of course some of the decisions will close doors ( I decided not to go to medical school so will never be a brain surgeon) and when my hand was crushed I chose to have a risky surgery. (When I asked the doctor before the operation "Will I be able to play the violin after the operation?" he assured me I would..... which was great because I couldn't play a note on the violin before my hand was crushed:)).
So now I'm riding the rollercoaster of a violin playing non brain surgeon - my decisions have worked out. If I'd made other choices I'd just be riding a different rollercoaster of what ifs.

Take Care
Mike

elizabeth

visitor
Reaction score
Just a further comment on this general topic.

It is curious how much other people try to pressure you into doing X or Y, and this phenomenon is strange to me, bc I've never pressured someone to change their life to suit me. "You should move back to the States" or "you should go to Europe". I can't fathom advising someone else, or pressuring them to make a gigantic life change without regard for their sense of inner fulfillment and their dreams. What would I get out of it if my friend is nearby but miserable? Nothing.

A week ago I said goodbye to a friend of mine who I won't see for 4 months. She commented that the people mentioned above seem intent that I "hurry up and settle down into the rut" that most people have. (i LOVED that phrase! it's very accurate) In other words, you have to conform to the cookie cutter lifestyle (which is meaningless and unfulfilling, typically). But the question is why? Why do these people -- many of them are my family members -- have these intentions? I can't understand that point of view. Is there something in it FOR THEM if another human being lives their life a certain way (?), even if that way means they give up their dreams and live unfulfilled at a boring desk job (for example), but making tons of money? This approach also (to me) seems really righteous. As in, "I know what is best. This is the best way to live." Is material comfort *truly* valued that much in (Western) society?

I don't think there is a best way to live. I think tehre is a "best" for each individual. Maybe creature comforts *are* fulfilling for some people. Maybe racking in billions of dollars is someone's life goal. That's fine and more power to them. But to impose the same goal on someone else and devalue their choices if they do NOT follow that path, that to me seems really close-minded.

Just thoughts.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).