...life can be translucent

Menu

Anger to Depression, #27 nc

petrosianii

visitor
Reaction score
Today I asked the I Ching why my anger turns to depression. The inquiry was motivated by fighting with my soon-to-be wife over the weekend. I notice that, when I get angry, it saps my strength, causes me to tumble into a morose, melancholia, causes fatigue to set in, sadness, and feeling of being trapped ... i.e., many of the symptoms of feeling depressed.

The hexagram I received was #27, NOURISHING, without any change lines.

Thanks in advance for your insights,

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
This hex is a mouth which you are using to berate your partner with, so you are using it for the wrong purpose and your mind knows this. Therefore by trying to be "boss" your mind realizes that you have strayed from the correct path of conduct, hence the feelings of depression etc brought about by guilt which makes you sick.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Today I asked the I Ching why my anger turns to depression. The inquiry was motivated by fighting with my soon-to-be wife over the weekend. I notice that, when I get angry, it saps my strength, causes me to tumble into a morose, melancholia, causes fatigue to set in, sadness, and feeling of being trapped ... i.e., many of the symptoms of feeling depressed.

Thanks in advance for your insights,

It turns to depression because your needs aren't being met, you're hungry and you want more. In anger you actively attempt to get your needs met, in depression you've given up hope, the anger didn't work. Like neglected babies at first they scream and wail then when noone comes they become apathetic, lost and depressed. But as an I Ching practitioner and philosophical counsellor you must have insight into that yourself ? What do you make of the answer as a matter of interest ?

beckham80

visitor
Reaction score
Person interested in Me?

I asked if someone I'm interested in but have never talked to was interested at all in talking to me.

I got 27 unchanging.

So, is she?

em ching

visitor
Reaction score
I would say yes!
In this context I reckon the answer is drawing your attention to the positive side of talking - communicating - as necessity and for the simple pleasure it can bring - nourish each other through communication and have faith in your words. And remain relaxed about it - don't expect too much from 'tongue wagging'... but it's still good.

:)

bamboo

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
It turns to depression because your needs aren't being met, you're hungry and you want more. In anger you actively attempt to get your needs met, in depression you've given up hope, the anger didn't work. Like neglected babies at first they scream and wail then when noone comes they become apathetic, lost and depressed. But as an I Ching practitioner and philosophical counsellor you must have insight into that yourself ? What do you make of the answer as a matter of interest ?

excellent interpretation, IMO. I suppose anger unto itself is never very satisfying...but as an impetus for stating your case, asking for what you need, it can do the job. perhaps you and your wife are fighting about random issues, while the meat of the matter is not really being addressed. often anger is just a cover for deep sadness, anyway. anger and fighting intensify distance and separation and create more sadness. expressing oneself authentically, saying how you really feel, is usually energizing rgardless of how the other responds.

gene

visitor
Reaction score
When things do not work out the way we want them, anger is a natural agent. But anger in and of itself changes nothing unless there is action taken. Sometimes action doesn't help either, it is beyond our control. When we realize we can't control it, we become depressed. Depression is just anger turned inward. The answer is to understand that we control absolutely nothing. We think we do, but we do not. We have no control whatsoever over anything or anyone. The solution is to give up, let go, and understand one thing on a very deep level. Our eyesight is too limited to know what is truly good for us. We only think we know. But the one thing we can know, definitively, is that the universe is on our side. When we understand this, truly understand this, we attain happiness and inner peace beyond normal understanding. When we stop trying to control, the universe comes to our aid, whether that appears to be the case or not.

Gene

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
I asked if someone I'm interested in but have never talked to was interested at all in talking to me.

I got 27 unchanging.

So, is she?

If you are interested in talking with her, just go ahead, talk with her.

It's better to try to frame your questions from your own point of view and not bother asking what the other person wants, because it is easier to interpret hexagrams when you are asking your questions from your own point of view. In other words, don't concern yourself so much with what the other person is thinking. She will tell you that herself.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Today I asked the I Ching why my anger turns to depression. The inquiry was motivated by fighting with my soon-to-be wife over the weekend.

Thoughtfully consider
what it is you wish to nourish;
thoughtfully consider
what will best nourish it.

You got H27 with no changing lines because your question is broad and scholarly. You might intend to use what you learn asking such questions to help (nourish) other people afflicted in the same way, and H27 is the hexagram of such wider nourishment.

I think the IC is saying that your question is a balanced expression of your true concern.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I feel the need to point out that Petrosianni posted his question back in November 2008 and did not respond to any answers given and i don't think has been heard of since.

On Sept 24th 2009, Beckham80, for reasons best known to himself, decided to post his own unrelated (27)question on the tail end of Petrosiannis old thread, rather than start a new thread.

I'm saying this not purely to be persnickety but to save people the effort of still bothering to respond to Petrosianni, as i said departed from this thread in Nov 08. ( Presumably Beckham80 still wants to know if a girl is interested in him)

Trojan...Chief of Detail Police (reinstated following unfair dismissal)

:rofl:

Of course just because this is an ancient question with a vanished querant does not mean you won't want to comment...I'm just saying

Last edited:

bamboo

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I feel the need to point out that Petrosianni posted his question back in November 2008 and did not respond to any answers given and i don't think has been heard of since.

On Sept 24th 2009, Beckham80, for reasons best known to himself, decided to post his own unrelated (27)question on the tail end of Petrosiannis old thread, rather than start a new thread.

I'm saying this not purely to be persnickety but to save people the effort of still bothering to respond to Petrosianni, as i said departed from this thread in Nov 08. ( Presumably Beckham80 still wants to know if a girl is interested in him)

:rofl:

Of course just because this is an ancient question with a vanished querant does not mean you won't want to comment...I'm just saying

Wait a mnute....when was the Chief of Detail Police unfairly dismissed?

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score

With total respect and admiration for the persnickety character of the Detail Police, with whom I share a lifelong dedication to cleaning up the crap, straightening out the crooked, and helping the blind to see, I must say the following:

I responded to this thread because of a deep and abiding interest in H27.

Secondly, I happen to know that the Petro person is alive and well and has his own website at which anyone can cast a hexagram online, with the moving lines shown as well. I appreciate the convenience of being able to cast a hexagram like that upon occasion. Petrosianni is a relentlessly active networker and blogger, and he probably doesn't have a whole lot of time left over for visiting over here. Just between you and me, he might benefit from participating more at onlineclarity.

With regard to Beckham, I am always fascinated by the way people are casting their hexagrams to ask the I Ching what someone else is thinking. It never once occurred to me to ask a question like that of the I Ching until I was exposed to this website. I still think it's more useful to ask all questions from our own point of view.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Also Want to Know about that

I don't know anything about Trojan's dismissal either. I must have been away from this website when it happened.

Trojan, can you boil the issue down to its essence? What on earth happened?

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Trojan's dismissal either. I must have been away from this website when it happened.

Trojan, can you boil the issue down to its essence? What on earth happened?

its a joke Ginnie. I'm not really 'chief of detail police' (did you think i was :eek:) so how could i be dismissed. Once i got something wrong and Hilary said something like 'huh some detail police' er in jest i think (well i presume :rofl:)...but at a later point having got some minor detail right their was another joke about being reinstated..but it may have been in PM...I dunno anyway it was just a joke nothing important

phew... i think anglo/american communication often falls down on the humour front

bamboo

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
well, I am the one who originally dubbed Trojan "Detail Police" and she does a smashing job. BUt GInnie, we can always use another pair of hands for cleaning up the crap, so we'll give you a deputy badge. I have a deputy badge myself, but, between you and me, the Chief thinks I am rather clueless at times. c'est la vie. Asking about when Trojan got dismissed....well, I was just doing my job, folks:D

"Trojan, can you boil the issue down to its essence? What on earth happened?"
Ginnie, you have great deputy potential!! we need more of this kind of investigative interrogation!!!:rofl:

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
phew... i think anglo/american communication often falls down on the humour front

Sorry, I am not entirely without a sense of humor. By the way, Trojan, are you sure you're spelling "humour" correctly? Seems to me it has one "u" too many. he he he :rofl:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
"Trojan, can you boil the issue down to its essence? What on earth happened?"

Ginnie, you have great deputy potential!! we need more of this kind of investigative interrogation!!!:rofl:

She certainly has potential yes. :rofl:

Boiling down an issue to its essence sounds kinda 27ish actually

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Boiling down an issue to its essence sounds kinda 27ish actually

Yeah, I think we need to chew on some of these issues until they are 27ish.

To me, 27 means I can help someone by speaking with them about it, whatever it is. I think 27.6 is a good line to get.

Over here at OnlineClarity, some man was asking about his job prospects if he applied at a restaurant, and he got 27.6. He was an actual chef, I think. Usually, with the people I know, the "nourishment" signified by 27 is more abstract.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).