...life can be translucent

Menu

what's the name of the game ?

ivonne

visitor
Reaction score
Hi , it's me again, with sort of a technical question concerning the language the I Ching can be expected to use.There goes the example: i asked the oracle what is it in the relationship with me that He likes the most? and got 32.2.4 >15
and i am now trying to figure out if " no game in the field" can mean literally the absance of a game (tactics, strategies,etc).Given the overall positive context the answer is immersed in, i have a strog hunch that in this case it could be read literally, rather than indicating a lack of some "it" , of the crux that would make the relationship viable.

Another possibility is that "no game in the field" that could appeal to him is that we do not live in the same city, which makes the field somewhat empty , and therefore possibly nice to him.Too far fetched, i think , but who knows?

What do you think?

mary f

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
32.2 = (strong line in strong position - right attitude) always approach with parsimony.
34.4 = choose the right place/right way to "hunt", i.e. there will be no "hunting party" in the wrong field; you are in the wrong place.
15 = humbleness, integrity, modesty. I don't know what this can mean in your case because is little information.

:)

knotxx

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I am not sure how to read these results either--most of the changing lines in 32 confuse me; they sound so bad when the hexagram overall is positive. Just looking at the two hexagrams, it seems to be saying "steadiness, dailiness, and grounded, honest authenticity," which would be nice.

But as a general comment on language--on a few occasions the specific language of a given translation or commentary applied directly to my situation. Once I was looking for a lost check and the yi gave me 25.4-42. The actual line just says something like "constancy, no mistake," not that helpful. But Wilhelm's commentary said "you can't lose what really belongs to you, even if you throw it away." I found the check in the second trash can I checked.

mary f

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Wow Knot, what a great reading ref. lost check!!
I suggest you post it at the thread named "Aha answers....." on the top of Shared Readings main page. :)

lucia

visitor
Reaction score
The problem with language in the ching is often whether you choose to take everything in your life on the surface or whether you see the ching as a wise teacher that is encouraging you to go a little deeper and learn about yourself. Sometimes, it is just like Knot's cheque simple, direct and voila!

Those kinds of answers can make us smile.

The other problem is that sometimes when people are reading they either "Fox news" it or "Mills and Boon" it.

Fox news is a sensationalist news channel that views all immigrants as potential terrorists and Mills and Boon is a publishing company that's made millions out of junk novels where the hero is always tall dark and handsome and has piercing eyes and sweeps the heroine off her feet to live happily ever after...

If you read like that then 29 is Fox news and 32 is Mills and Boon (although you can do that to any hex). For me 29 is often about how you move out of trouble and 32 (which is halfway to 64) is about harmonising elements so they endure.

Two other problems are how clearly you phrase the question and whether you are asking about someone else or not.. Hilary has excellent materials on questions and the problem of asking about other people is identifying who is who in the answer (yes/no q''s are similar).

I don't think any hex is positive or negative - they all have something to teach - whether we choose to learn or not is another thing all together.

The language is often metaphorical - when a king gets his head chopped off - it doesn't mean murder your boyfriend but usually means get to the point of the matter and not the peripherals for instance. When you receive 54 in a work related question it doesn't usually mean you are going to marry your boss it suggests trying to find your place in a position where you don't have obvious power.

How do you know ?

By studying, taking time with your readings and letting them "speak" to you. By not bombarding the ching with lots of q's that are really asking the same thing. But most of all by experience.

Keep a record of your questions and the answers you receive. It becomes an amazing resource that will, in time, show you how particular hexes play out in your life. Build a relationship with it.

And of course there's always this excellent site - join the reading circle, take a course.

32.2 can mean inner stability
32.4 is about not going after something 'cos you are going after it in the wrong place. A good hunter doesn't go looking because they are already in the right place
15 can mean dignity, modesty, balancing things etc.,

But what's it really saying, who is it talking about ? You or him? That's for you to answer.

Lucia

D

diamanda

I too have found this to be thus, ie sometimes the answer is a 'lesson',
sometimes it sounds like a joke, sometimes it can be read word for
word, sometimes only one word is relevant, and so on. We can all offer
different views, but in the end i think only the person asking can tell
which view applies to his/her situation. So, 32:4 here could very well
mean "seek the correct way to pursue your goal", or "you won't have
any results if you continue thus", or "this person is not playing games",
or "there isn't going to be a football match", or or or.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
or 32.4 is actually he doesn't like you....which i would take as the most obvious answer. The admiration you are looking for isn't there. If you're sure it is then why ask...seeking ego food ? 32.4 none there.

ivonne

visitor
Reaction score
Hi, Troian. It's all about wooing, right? And, to make things worse lol , wooing, say, in the dark , wanting to perform a mating ritual dance before someone who is definetely not on the open, extrovertic side.It's like needing the right "tools" to fix your car properly, so that it will most likely take you to a place that you need badly to be an inch better than the one you set off.Ego fed thinking? Maybe, fear comes from the realm of the ego , not from the kingdom of the soul, am i right? Fear of failing, that's how i see my initial question.

It could then lead one to think of a hunt (or a game called seduction, even if it doesn't necessarily imply explicit erotic seduction) - it occurs to me right now - specially if we have discussed it lately , between the two of us, that in the early days men were mainly hunters.

The coincidence of these two situations, i.e.:the issue we talked about and the answer given to me by the I Ching just appeared to be so "litteral", as if hex 32.4 were saying "hold on, this is not a hunt , we are not on a big game this time, and that's what i like about you ". And in this context, hex 15 , seen as integrity, confirms the take,as not playing games in this field (the one between us now) would be a sign of grandness finally attained .

Does this make sense? Don't know for sure, that's why i ran for help, which incidentally i got, as other people's experience shows several occasions on which the IChing takes things litterally.

Anyway, you were all very helpfull, and considering the BIG EVENT we are approaching in a few hours, i am very mych obliged to you for your interest in this issue.All the best in the year to come:bows:

lucia

visitor
Reaction score
I take it that you understand that "game" means pheasant, partridge, deer etc., L

ivonne

visitor
Reaction score
i' ve tried to take all possible meanings of whatever it is that one walks into a field with an arrow in his hands .A Cupid?:D

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).