...life can be translucent

Menu

amazingly relevant answer re. career outlook: 56.2>50

em ching

visitor
Reaction score
To start with I love the Yi :) Really. Not to be too gushy here, but so appreciative! (Maybe a good place to transfer all the unrequited love eh :rolleyes:

Today was my last day at a job I have enjoyed, but felt wouldn't stretch me long term, and that I wasn't at my best in that role... However, because I liked the people and environment I panicked today that perhaps leaving was a mistake and I should have tried harder...

I asked: Was it a mistake to leave?

56.2 The Wanderer > 50 The Caldron

Wowzer! So so relevant - and reading previous posts with this line and mostly related to job q's!

Encouraging line too I think :) A great relief... although it is not at all clear to me at the mo where I am headed.. I am still treading water, but now with time and freedom (so far as the bank balance allows) I can attempt to apply myself more to reading and writing and finding work experience.... Perhaps 56.2 is reflecting that now's the time to get prepared at home before setting out? I wonder if I will find the 'faithful trustworthy servant' mentioned in the line too... or maybe it's saying I'm not quite ready to strike out alone yet?

I also asked Are my cover letter and CV ok to send out now?
2.6 The Receptive > 23 Splitting Apart

I have been drafting a letter for a while now (waiting for the green light to send it out as I don't want to put off potential employees with it) But perhaps now is the time as I can't really afford to dither for too much longer...

Initially I read 2 > 23 as saying send it out (disperse as in 23) and there will be reception... but then I guess it's going the other way round... Line 2.6 mentions struggle... could my letter and CV be representing the light giving power of the dragon or do they need more work as they contain a dark injured element... Perhaps I need to revise them more...

What is your interpretation here?
The letter seems ok to me, but I don't know if it's too long and wordy... I don't want to seem pretentious or give too much away, or bore them, as the people receiving my applications will no doubt be busy... I have had guidance from people which I have followed to a degree, and now wanted to ask the Yi if I have done all I can and should get the ball rolling... ?
Or is it a warning that I shouldn't try to hard to push my fate?

Thanks.
V. grateful as ever for any thoughts

:bows:

Last edited:

lucia

visitor
Reaction score
2.6> 23

I'm sorry but I think you need to re-do your cv and covering letter.

Are you perhaps coming on a little too strong in it? 23 means stripping away or pruning not dispersing (that's more like 59).

2.6. is seemingly about a fight between a real dragon and a false one (or some say a revolutionary taking on the ruling power) perhaps you need to identify your "real dragon" and let that shine in your cv/letter. It's a tough market out there and your dragon has got to survive it but as it's the top line of Hex 2, I think you need to think about identifying your strongest points without coming on too strong.

but pruning allows new (and usually more) shoots to grow no ?

lucia

Last edited:

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score

2.6 means that a power struggle between two people who are like mighty contenders will take place in your presence and you will probably get injured in some way. It is definitely unfavorable for you to send out your cover letter and CV right now the way they are. From this line alone, it is difficult to know just where the problem lies. It may be that you're sending your CV to the wrong people.

56.2 means that you and your stuff will be safe during this time in which you are between paying jobs. The Yi is reassuring you that you are and will be safe. It suggests you will meet a loyal person who will help you a lot, too.

Best of luck to you, em ching.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hilary has an interesting take on 2.6. She says its can be the fight between wanting to keep all your options open on the one hand and wanting or needing to do something on the other. Last line of 2 ? Perhaps its like you go beyond the useful point of keeping options open, theres a need to do something now...or maybe i got the wrong end of stick but makes sense to me. I suppose its like wanting a job but at the same time wanting to be available to take any other job that might come up..I guess that could give the impression of lack of commitment.

Just thoughts as I've not much experience of 2.6 at all, infact seems to me it doesn't come up much in readings here so its still a bit of a mystery.

Thinking of your threads here Em I notice underlying them is often a great fear of closing your options, always wondering if something could have been better...or would be better. Just wondering if this attitude reflects in the CV. I don't think its you alone I think its an issue younger generations face, more choice can make any choice seem impossible. My parents generation for example had much narrower options but then i guess that brought other problems...

Last edited:

lucia

visitor
Reaction score
Cor, Trojan, that's an interesting take on 2.6 I'm going to add it to my notes!! The reason why I suggested that maybe emching was possibly coming on too strong was because line 6 is very yang in what is essentially a yin flavoured Hex.... but there's no doubt there's an internal conflict in her presentation of herself in said CV/covering letter. The fanyao is a good one and it made me think of something someone once said to me about my cv: "let your skills speak for themselves".

Sorry, emching don't mean to make you feel like a guineapig in my ching studies but trojan is right it's a rare one.... I'd be interested to know what you think.

Good luck with it

Lucia

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I think the rare times I had 2.6 the usual commentaries about 2 opponents battling it out were just completely non applicable to my humdrum question. Dragons doing battle is a very dramatic image , scaled down (no pun intended..dragons/scales) to a conflict between needing to do something and wanting to keep options open is a more pleasing/understandable interpretation to me, but having no experience with it I'm not exactly sure. Some, like you do I think, interpret it as Yin trying to be too yang and throwing her weight about, but by line 6 the way of being Yin must be ending...possibly

em ching

visitor
Reaction score
2.6> 23

I'm sorry but I think you need to re-do your cv and covering letter.

Are you perhaps coming on a little too strong in it? 23 means stripping away or pruning not dispersing (that's more like 59).

2.6. is seemingly about a fight between a real dragon and a false one (or some say a revolutionary taking on the ruling power) perhaps you need to identify your "real dragon" and let that shine in your cv/letter. It's a tough market out there and your dragon has got to survive it but as it's the top line of Hex 2, I think you need to think about identifying your strongest points without coming on too strong.

but pruning allows new (and usually more) shoots to grow no ?

lucia

That's great makes perfect sense! (oops yeah mistook 23 for 59 there..)
I don't feel ready to send them out yet, eventhough I have re-drafted a few times - so I guess my uncertainty must be my sub-conscious voice knowing they aren't right yet (Thanks Yi for illuminating that as always! Kind of like the key to ourselves... :)

I think I do come on a bit strong yes - I think 2.6 is warning of the danger of being to Yang and at this point that'd be dangerous or innapropriate - though perhaps I am close to the point where I will have to be Yang, ie when the receptive turns to the creative... :bows:

Thanks

em ching

visitor
Reaction score
56.2 means that you and your stuff will be safe during this time in which you are between paying jobs. The Yi is reassuring you that you are and will be safe. It suggests you will meet a loyal person who will help you a lot, too.

Best of luck to you, em ching.

Thanks - yeah that's important and funnily enough I heard from an old friend yesterday who is coming to visit :) and she is currently job hunting for continuing her postition teaching abroad... perhaps that's something I could look into at this stage.. though i'm not at all sure if I have teaching qualities... I have had some experience with children but am not sure if I'm too self-conscious to be articulate enough to explain concepts articulately... hmm... I shall look into it though (a direction which would take me away from what I thought I wanted to achieve from sending out my CV)
... hmm.. So yeah you're right trojan! Seemingly too many options nowadays and I'm not sure were my real talents lie... which is why I must utilise this time off as well as I can!.. then maybe I'll be ready to take some yang action here, where my work life is concerened... :rolleyes: Perhaps there is a certain sense of ambivalence in my CV/ letter - not sure which angle to go for so impressing too much in it.. Hmm..

Thank you!

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
My experience with 2.6

It would be difficult for me to forget my experience with 2.6. I was in the dentist's chair and maybe this was about 5 or 6 years ago. The dentist had just said, "My next appointment canceled. So if it's okay with you, I'd like to go ahead and fill that second tooth."

I thought, oh, he's got more time today, so I said, "Okay," even though I don't like a lot of dental work done all in one day. I deferred to his judgment, because he was the professional.

All of a sudden, there was a booming voice behind me, from the threshold of the doorway. It was the patient who they thought had canceled, only he was now demanding his time back.

I said, "That's okay, he can have this time," and I tried to sit up out of the chair.

But my dentist said, "No, you stay where you are," and he put his hand on my arm. You know how it is with those dentist's chairs. You can never get out of them anyway. Now I was really stuck in a frightening situation. The guy in the doorway sounded really angry.

I had already been injected with the anesthetic. I could sense that my dentist was taking a stand on principle. He felt the unruly patient should not be allowed to muscle his way in and get his way just because he was loud.

"That's okay, doctor," the man in the doorway said. "You just go ahead and do what you have to do."

The man's tone of voice was ominous. I was frightened. I could feel that my dentist was frightened, but he wasn't showing it. It was like a battle of wills between these two guys, and I was trapped in the chair, unable to get away. My dentist bent over me, keeping his back to the door as if busy, but not really doing anything. Finally some of the staff were able to remove the angry man from the doorway.

The upshot of this experience was that for some mysterious reason, which no dentist or anyone else has been able to explain adequately, I lost approximately 20 percent of my hearing in both ears that afternoon. I have been told that the anesthetic could not have had this effect. This particular anesthetic has been safely used on millions of patients. And yet there it is, I lost a lot of my hearing that afternoon, for no reason that medical science has been able to pinpoint.

So I asked the I Ching, "Why did I lose my hearing that day?" and I got 2.6>23. "Dragons contending in the wilderness shed black and yellow blood." As I understand it, it means that powerful people will be fighting it out in a power struggle. The thing I wanted to tell you the other day is this: You don't want to be around when that happens.

I am aware that your experience of 2.6 would not necessarily have to be like my experience of 2.6. In addition, line 6 is often a strong warning of some kind, not something that actually occurs. It could very well mean that you should get a second person to review your CV because it's too strongly worded or it's off base in some other way that can easily be remedied.

I am aware that I am being a bit of an alarmist. :eek: I did think, however, since there is no way I'm ever going to forget 2.6, that I'd share with you my experience in connection with it. The Yi can know in advance things that we can never know, and perhaps you were being warned away from some situation that could easily be avoided.
:eek: :bows::bows:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Very interesting and very sorry about your hearing. However you couldn't have lost your hearing because these two men were arguing that day could you...2 men arguing don't = hearing loss.. so I immediately thought the 2.6 is referring to what actually happened in your ear rather than the 2 men arguing, though of course it does fit with what happened that day. Some might say the 2 men arguing were a sort of metaphor for what was happening in your ear though I wouldn't necessarily. Anyway on rereading I think your're saying Yi answer was saying something like' when these 2 argue don't be there' but still as you say as far as you know nothing happened that day to cause hearing loss..unless he injected on a nerve or something, but you say he gave you the injection before the 2nd man came along, ie before he was stressed. Seems the 2.6 was a sort of synchronistic picture rather than dealing with cause /effect ?

Not arguing with your interpretation, you know best, just thinking about it. Thanks for sharing this with us, very interesting :)

em ching

visitor
Reaction score
Hmmm... seems a bit of a chicken and the egg scenario to me!
Thanks for sharing and I am also sorry about your hearing.
Well, I feel at a standstill with regards to my CV etc now anyway (I haven't received hex 12 as a reading that is just how I feel) So I am glad that the Yi pointed me towards realising the time isn't right... as frankly I don't know where to head at the mo and as I lack commitment, I don't want to put off potential employment opportunities in the sector I am interested in, by being premature....

Thanks all

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
The bystander

My intuition had actually told me: "I'd better leave now." But I overruled my intuition by listening instead to the dentist. A few minutes later, the exit was blocked.

One translation of this line reads that if yin fights with yang, there will be a fundamental struggle and there will be great injury. I think the irate man was yin and my dentist was yang. When yin fights with yang, it is said, "there will be a fundamental struggle and there will be great injury." :rant: And I am saying that the "great injury" could actually be to a bystander. :eek: That was the point I was trying to make.

My personal lesson, as best I understand it, was that I should LISTEN TO MY INTUITION, not listen with my physical ears. But that part was my karmic lesson that cannot possibly bear on em ching's job question.

The part that bears on em ching's job situation is that sparks could fly. From the vague but peculiar language of this line, it is clear that this line indicates violence that has startling, if not bizarre, consequences. Line 6 is often a warning of some kind. P.S. This is the first time I've told a story from my own life to illustrate a line. It's embarrassing. I am hoping it has been helpful in some way. :blush:

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).