...life can be translucent

Menu

Any perspectives on 38.5?

exnihilo

visitor
Reaction score
If you asked what someone's role in something was and received 38.5 what would you think? The hex is about opposition and there IS that here in the situation. Does line 5 indicate that this person is going to be involved in ending that opposition maybe? Bringing the two parts together? That appears to be the message here but I've never received this line before and I'm not sure.

I asked in addition how this person would affect my relationship with someone else and I received:

46.2.3.4.6 to 35

I don't know how to interpret all those moving likes but it SOUNDS like this person is going to help in a positive way.

philippa

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Exnihilo,

I've received 38.5 myself several times. My experience is that it's not always about someone playing an active role in terms of ending an opposition. It's often (at least for me) about bringing together the two parts in spite of an opposition. For example, you may be involved in an argument with someone, but at the end, you decide to "agree to disagree". Neither party seems to "win" the argument per se, but you arrive at the same conclusion nonetheless.

My experience with 46 is very limited. It seems positive on the surface text but I can't help but to feel somewhat suspicioius about reading images about something "moving upwards" with so little obstruction. Do you view this person as someone who's trying to help?

I also looked at this:

46.2.3.4.6 => 15.3.4.6 => 2.4.6 => 16.6 => 35.

Does this make any sense to you? (It doesn't for me.)

Alternatively, what about the non-moving lines? Do they tell you something?

Also, look at the recent discussion on 46 on the "Divination Discussion".

Btw, do say more about the situation. It sounds interesting.

Philippa

exnihilo

visitor
Reaction score
"I've received 38.5 myself several times. My experience is that it's not always about someone playing an active role in terms of ending an opposition. It's often (at least for me) about bringing together the two parts in spite of an opposition."

I doubt that this person would be playing an active role but MIGHT be involved in playing a more passive role in ending an opposition..so your comments are interesting. This was my first question about the matter so I'm looking carefully at the answer.

"My experience with 46 is very limited. It seems positive on the surface text but I can't help but to feel somewhat suspicioius about reading images about something "moving upwards" with so little obstruction. Do you view this person as someone who's trying to help?"

Not someone TRYING to help, no. I'm thinking, but I could be mistaken, that this person might play a role in just sort of being there at the right place and time to help end an opposition. In general, I think pushing upward and progress sounds like someone who somehow gets something moving forward.

As for all the moving lines..

"46.2.3.4.6 => 15.3.4.6 => 2.4.6 => 16.6 => 35.
Does this make any sense to you? (It doesn't for me.)"

I don't know what you did there. Can you explain?

As for the non-moving lines...

No, they aren't saying anything to me. Anyway, I'm sometimes suspicious of getting too involved in trying to interpret the moving lines. In cases like this I usually just look at the two hexes and try to get a broad understanding of the situation.

exnihilo

visitor
Reaction score
I should add that I have no evidence that this person is, or will be, involved in the situation. I had a hunch though and I asked the Yi. She seemed to answer in the affirmative.

philippa

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Exnihilo,

Your line of inquiry (on someone playing a passive role) is quite interesting.

Generally, I view 38.5 as a positive line. But I'm still unsure of the effect as indicated by 46.2.3.4.6 -> 35. Something is moving upward/forward. Is there a specific goal/end-point you have in mind when you asked the question? This could be indicative of whether you should view 46 positively or negatively.

To explain what I did:

46.2.3.4.6 => 15.3.4.6 => 2.4.6 => 16.6 => 35

is a "progressive" method I've seen done several times on this board. The idea is that you proceed from bottom to top with the line changes. Along with each line change you get a new hexagram. So the progression above is:

46.2 leads to 15
15.3 leads to 2
2.4 leads to 16
16.6 leads to 35

Instead of looking at lines 2, 3, 4, and 6 of 46, you look at 46.2, 15.3, 2.4, 16.6. Often this method adds information to just merely reading the lines of the main hexagram.

I'm leaning towards thinking that these "progressive" lines seem to indicate more "active" (or agentive) movement than shown in the lines in 46. (I'm thinking of 15.3 specifically.)

What do you think?

Philippa

exnihilo

visitor
Reaction score
Philippa,

"What do you think?"

We're forgetting the two different questions asked I think. The Yi said 46 to 35 when I asked what EFFECT this person would have on my relationship with someone else. The most I got out of that was, as you said, "Something is moving upward/forward". This person does indeed seem to be involved somehow. Wouldn't you agree? As for HOW, I don't know.

I went ahead and asked again, "What role is this person playing in this?" and the Yi said,

9 to 10

this time. I find that quite interesting as 38 is the nuclear hex of 9 AND I got the same relating hex, 10. Line 3 indicates something gone wrong and there is no movement and line 4 seems to be the fix. Do you find this reading similar to 38.5 to 10? I do, but I may be off here.

What do you make of the relating hex, 10?

philippa

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Exnihilo,

Sorry I didn't see your reply until now.

I agree that one should be careful with the interpretation. However, the difference between the effect vs. the role this person has seems rather blurred to me. Nevertheless, I think it's good that you want to frame your inquiry in various ways in order to give you a more complete picture.

Back to your reading:

I recently witnessed 9.3 myself (this happened to an aquaintance). I wouldn't say it means "no movement." But more like, something was moving but it stopped because, well, the wheel(s) came off.

9.4 sounds very positive. This seems to relate to 38.5. But there's no way of telling how the "problem" would "melt away" until you experience it first hand.

Finally, how one should interpret 10? I always see this as one has to keep on moving forward in spite of "danger." I suppose it is related to 38.5. You should let us know how things unfold in the end... Curious mind wants to know!

Good luck.

Philippa

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
To me your readings suggest, that if you can make a closer contact with this person, he might be of help. 38.5 has to do with (IMO) reaching towards the other, and by doing so, creating a relation, or improving an existing one ? solving any unfamiliarity there might be. Little things which show your intentions, your interest, or your trust. A little step towards someone can initiate a big change.
Hex.10 has to do with the 'right' way to do things. Not necessarily the way common opinion thinks it should be done, but your heart, or ethics, moral values, ritual.

Your question was about his role, not yours, so it might just as well be, that it would be his role to do these things. Not sure about the side from where they might come.

Hex. 46 is ascending stairs, it is about results which can only be made by going step by step in that direction. If you want a 35-like result, you will have to go there step by step, and it seems this person can do that.

Two times 10.. Yi is stressing, that every move should be 'right', true and proper.

LiSe

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).