...life can be translucent

Menu

19.1.3 > 46 - Did I get the film role?

sofia

visitor
Reaction score
Hi could any of you esteemed senior members :) shed light on the 19 hexagram leading to 46? i.e. 19 changing at lines 1 and 3

I just had an audition for a short film and I asked the I Ching whether the director was impressed with me and if I would get the part. And I got 19.1.3 i.e. leading to 46.

19. Judgement

"Approach has supreme success.
Perseverance furthers.
When the eighth month comes,
There will be misfortune."

....am confused about the eight month and misfortune, when the rest of the judgement is positive i.e.....

"Nine at the beginning means:
Joint approach.
Perseverance brings good fortune."

"Six in the third place means:
Comfortable approach.
Nothing that would not further.
If one is induced to grieve over it,
One becomes free of blame."

(don't understand the last 2 lines except that maybe I'm supposed to acknowledge that I might have done something wrong, or perhaps not my best, in the audition???? and then I will be relieved of any blame/error)

Then 46...

Judgement

"Pushing upward has supreme success.
One must see the great man.
Fear not.
Departure toward the south
Brings good fortune."

So that seems really positive.

The only further info I can give is that I briefly met this guy when I helped out on one of his short films 2 years ago. He also knows of me from around the acting and filmmaking traps and seemed very excited that I had applied to audition and that he was going to meet me again (i.e. I felt he respected me in that sense). So that was always an encouraging sign. Because I also do some writing and directing I'm just not sure if he wanted to make the connection (as people do in this industry) and possibly as a way to work together down the track, or whether he really wanted me for this part. Furthermore he reckons he was overwhelmed with applications to audition but only chose a very short list, of which I was obviously one. So again, to begin with, that was a great sign.

Any help interpreting this would be much appreciated :)

thanks
sofia :)

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at the sentence the primary and relating hexes make things look positive 19>46 might signify being acknowledged, promoted, being given a step up so yes very good for a question about being recognised by someone with a degree of authority in some way. However I find 19.3 to be an incredibly limp line, seems to crop up around attitudes of just not being bothered, take it or leave it nonchalence thats just well limp, not bad exactly just rather wearing, sometimes exasperating. One party just doesn't really make much effort, arrangements and communications seem half hearted or people don't follow up with any vigour. I don't know here if that refers to you, him, or the vibe between you. If you are keen i guess its unlikley to be you..unless you gave the impression of not being very interested or committed in the audition. If it refers to him then I'd half expect him to be tardy in getting back to you, or to be rather vague and hard to pin down. I find sometimes with this line one seems to have to chase something up but in the end theres a question if it was worth the effort...

Having said all that the overall picture does look positive, perhaps there was just some sort of carelessness as described above that may be a slight hindrance.

Rereading what you said about him....and taking the word 'comfortable' from Wilhelm which i feel does fit well...it gives an image of someone whos not that bothered, they're 'comfortable' because they have many other options, ie he has many other applications, hes got what people want , hes not sweating, it doesn't matter to him that much...so his attitude might seem careless as in he'll call when hes ready kind of thing. Which isn't to say he won't be able to give you what you want eventually...but I don't see him beating a path to your door

Last edited:

sofia

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks so much Trojan :)

That makes sense i.e. a director is always in a powerful position and has a lot of options - well at his level anyway i.e. he's been doing this for a while and has a huge database of actors. He also said he's not making a decision til the end of this week (the actual shoot is 21 Feb so he'd have to decide by this weekend really).

You're right in that at the time I asked the question (which was only a couple of hours after the audition) he wasn't really thinking about making any decisions. He was going to view the tapes today with his producer, which is a process a lot of film directors follow i.e. don't make anything of the real life audition. Just watch the tapes a couple of days later because it's all about how it looks on tape and not how it looks in real life.

I was definitely enthusiastic and followed up and he acknowledged my passion so it's not coming from me :)

I just did another reading asking if I'm a strong contender for the role and I got 12.2 i.e. leading to 6

I take that to mean that nothing is really yet being decided and that I definitely shouldn't pursue things any more (I've already gushed enough over the script and his efforts and wanting the part). i.e.

°Six in the second place means:
They bear and endure;
This means good fortune for inferior people.
The standstill serves to help the great man to attain success.

Inferior people are ready to flatter their superiors in a servile way. They
would also endure the superior man if he would put an end to their
confusion. This is fortunate for them. But the great man calmly bears the
consequences of the standstill. He does not mingle with the crowd of the
inferior; that is not his place. By his willingness to suffer personally he
insures the success of his fundamental principles."

And re the outcome of 6 I'm a bit confused because I can't imagine great conflict if I got the role and worked with him. I've seen him in action and he's a lovely gentle guy albeit confident and firm. Except that he knows I've directed too before and I've done filmmaking studies etc. so that might make him feel a little uncomfortable??

The only other thing I can think of is that I offered to help out on set if I didn't get the part. But I'm not so sure I want to put myself in such a "low level" position i.e. I've already helped him out in the past when I was doing the filmmaking course and even then I was deemed a student so it was acceptable. It's not as if I'm a friend or anything. Plus it might jeopardise the view he has of me as an actor. You know the old familiarity thing.....actors tend to have to have some sort of appeal and mystique about them it seems, because there are so many to choose from.

Any further thoughts??

sofia

visitor
Reaction score
As a follow up I didnt get the role :( and Trojan you were close to the mark in that he did show respect etc but obviously had choice. But while he didn't beat a path to my door, he did respond carefully and personally with an email to let me know I was "seriously considered" for the role but they were focusing on matching the right female to the male lead, and so ended up going with someone else. So maybe that was the 46??

The 12.2 > 6 then seems pretty self explanatory i.e. that he was focusing only on what was best for the film, at the risk of perhaps losing my favour....

Inferior people are ready to flatter their superiors in a servile way. They
would also endure the superior man if he would put an end to their
confusion. This is fortunate for them. But the great man calmly bears the
consequences of the standstill. He does not mingle with the crowd of the
inferior; that is not his place. By his willingness to suffer personally he
insures the success of his fundamental principles."

.....and the 6 represented the conflict he had over which actress to pick

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
From an I Ching interpretation point of view, it's really interesting that you didn't get the part, cuz what you drew said something like 'approaching it and moving up', which sounds awfully like getting the part. So the only thing left to conclude is that in trying out for the part you approached something important and moved up to a new level, you did the work that got you to a new level. That's the most important feature of the situation, even if you didn't get the part. You done good, in other words.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
But the 12.2 suggests its not in your interests to put yourself in the service of this anyway..that in fact 'lesser' people benefit more. Its likley someone less talented than you got the part for other reasons. Looks like you're better off without it even if it doesn't seem that way....so in a sense what Dobro said applies

12.2 is not good news for worthy people as the 'unworthy' are favoured...he favoured the unworthy one...which must mean you are really worthy.....(positive spin lol but true)

sofia

visitor
Reaction score
From an I Ching interpretation point of view, it's really interesting that you didn't get the part, cuz what you drew said something like 'approaching it and moving up', which sounds awfully like getting the part. So the only thing left to conclude is that in trying out for the part you approached something important and moved up to a new level, you did the work that got you to a new level. That's the most important feature of the situation, even if you didn't get the part. You done good, in other words.

Thanks Dobro. Sorry for the late reply - I thought the thread was done :) and just stumbled back across it tonight when I drew a 19.1 for another question....

It makes sense what you say because I did move up to a new level in terms of being identified/noticed by this guy as a strong lead contender i.e. for a future film (he's pretty dedicated with the filmmaking thing so there'll be plenty more where that came from if I wanted to try again). It also greatly helped my confidence. I felt I worked through a personal obstacle and am now confident to tackle any other camera audition and director!

sofia ;)

sofia

visitor
Reaction score
But the 12.2 suggests its not in your interests to put yourself in the service of this anyway..that in fact 'lesser' people benefit more. Its likley someone less talented than you got the part for other reasons. Looks like you're better off without it even if it doesn't seem that way....so in a sense what Dobro said applies

12.2 is not good news for worthy people as the 'unworthy' are favoured...he favoured the unworthy one...which must mean you are really worthy.....(positive spin lol but true)

Thanks too Trojan (and for the positive spin :p)

I'm not sure how talented the actress who won the part is and won't know until I see the film. As for it not being in my interests, this makes sense on one level but not on another.....

I realised after the audition (from various signs) that the director is a lot younger and immature than I realised. That's not to say he's not talented because the script was very appealing and I saw some stills from the shoot the other day and the art direction was sublime (it's a Wong Kar Wai style film noir). But I understand that I may not have enjoyed the process as much being with a cast and crew who were a lot younger and possibly immature.....

But on the other hand I can't see how it would have harmed. At the very least I would have had experience AND a stunning show reel AND made some more contacts.

Maybe there was something unbeknown to me that would have been detrimental e.g. a co-star who was a really bad actor and brought the production level down a notch or two which could have made me look bad.....

;)

Reaction score
From an I Ching interpretation point of view, it's really interesting that you didn't get the part, cuz what you drew said something like 'approaching it and moving up', which sounds awfully like getting the part.

From an I Ching interpretation point of view, following Zhu Xi's work, the interpretation is based on this statement: Comfortable approach. Nothing that would further. If one is induced to grieve over it, one becomes free of blame; the Yijing also says: nothing that would further because it is an improper position. Therefore, it is not a surprise the real outcome.

The case is interesting, of course. Maybe it helps us to value and study the old teachings, even if they came from confucionism.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
From an I Ching interpretation point of view, following Zhu Xi's work, the interpretation is based on this statement: Comfortable approach. Nothing that would further. If one is induced to grieve over it, one becomes free of blame; the Yijing also says: nothing that would further because it is an improper position. Therefore, it is not a surprise the real outcome.

The case is interesting, of course. Maybe it helps us to value and study the old teachings, even if they came from confucionism.

You are reading the wrong answer, lines 19.,3 are the answer to whether the director was impressed or not.

This is the question about whether she would get the part or not;

I just did another reading asking if I'm a strong contender for the role and I got 12.2 i.e. leading to 6

And as you can see, she will not get the part, line 12.2 is against her and so is Hex 6. Quite simple.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).