...life can be translucent

Menu

about who i truly am:hex.39

movablue

visitor
Reaction score
Hi!

I had found Hilary's very interesting text:

'The I Ching brings that fresh perspective, and with it can come a sense of a calling. One of the most important questions you can ask it is ‘Please, show me something of who I truly am…’
so I have asked myself this question wanting to get some fresh perspective about who i could be (i guess I Ching shows the image most appropriate to the moment or to what one must learn in his life situation for the time being..)

and the answer is hex. 39- Obstruction(Facing Obstruction)

what does it mean regarding my question?(Hillary' s article 'Self-Development with the I Ching)
I read different interpretations to this hexagram but i think i'm missing something (from my too personal...and narrow point of view as hex.39 keeps telling)

(about me specifically: concerned about self-improvement/individuation and buddhism , read books about these)

thanks a lot to you! any answer will be very useful to me!

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi!

I had found Hilary's very interesting text:

'The I Ching brings that fresh perspective, and with it can come a sense of a calling. One of the most important questions you can ask it is ‘Please, show me something of who I truly am…’
so I have asked myself this question wanting to get some fresh perspective about who i could be (i guess I Ching shows the image most appropriate to the moment or to what one must learn in his life situation for the time being..)

and the answer is hex. 39- Obstruction(Facing Obstruction)

what does it mean regarding my question?(Hillary' s article 'Self-Development with the I Ching)
I read different interpretations to this hexagram but i think i'm missing something (from my too personal...and narrow point of view as hex.39 keeps telling)

(about me specifically: concerned about self-improvement/individuation and buddhism , read books about these)

thanks a lot to you! any answer will be very useful to me!

Thats the question all philosophies and religions and so on have always asked...I mean its about the quest for union, dissolving the self, or as I understand it coming to the realisation that who I am is nobody and everybody all at the same time...The big job is to dissolve the self or maybe expand the self beyond the false boundaries about what we believe are the limits of the self...and who can say where the self ends or begins...so to me that question, by seeking to crystallise something, to make something 'me' heads in a futile direction. If the Yi embraces all life and you also (while seemingly finite within a body and named ) are infinite and embrace all why would you think you could be narrowed down to one hexagram ...especially a hexagram like 39... :eek: so my advice is forget it and learn to meditate or get a spriritual path or something...I don't think you'll find the answer to who you really are by shaking coins. I think the Yi is about living your life, through its answers you inadvertently may learn very much about life...but how can one answer tell you who you are ? I dunno but you are much bigger than that I know

I know but i don't know...wasn't there a song like that

mary f

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Just for you not to feel alone.

Oh man. I just threw the coins making the same question.
60 : 1 >> 29
:confused:

I asked then: please elaborate.
:confused::confused:

:blush:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Just for you not to feel alone.

Oh man. I just threw the coins making the same question.
60 : 1 >> 29
:confused:

I asked then: please elaborate.
:confused::confused:

:blush:

:rofl: Oh no ..60.1 'I don't know who you are but don't go out'.....39 'you are an obstruction just like Movablue'..maybe the universe regards us all as obstructions, like furred up tubes, drains that need unblocking...call in cosmic dyno-rod, maybe we all just need sluicing through or dissolving :rofl:

bamboo

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Both 60.1 and 39 seem, to me, to have similar meanings anyway. and not negative...as they say, no hex is "negative"......
39 is not only about obstruction but about what one does when facing an obstruction. The image is one of water gathering behind the obstruction, it is one of "coming back" and gathering up your (inner) resources, finding a new place of strength from which you will eventually emerge.
To describe someone as 39, I think the Yi would be signifying one who, like LiSe writes in her 39, leaves the path of the world behind ( finding it hard or cold or full of natural obstructions) and finding one's own source of comfort, protection and shelter. NOt a negative omen at all, but perhaps one of an individualist who is very aware of the obstructions on the well-worn beaten path of the "world". This person is not giving up nor throwing in the towel, but wisely coming back to his core to strengthen ways to approach obstructions, maybe bypass them by heading back in another direction, and also waiting for friends, assistance.

60.1 is similar I think in that it is okay not to go out in the world ...a person who can find solace in spaces away from the crowds.

those are my thoughts!

mary f

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
:rofl: Oh no ..60.1 'I don't know who you are but don't go out'.....39 'you are an obstruction just like Movablue'..maybe the universe regards us all as obstructions, like furred up tubes, drains that need unblocking...call in cosmic dyno-rod, maybe we all just need sluicing through or dissolving :rofl:

Oh my, I see a catheter :D It's Hesiod!!!

mary f

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Both 60.1 and 39 seem, to me, to have similar meanings anyway. and not negative...as they say, no hex is "negative"......
39 is not only about obstruction but about what one does when facing an obstruction. The image is one of water gathering behind the obstruction, it is one of "coming back" and gathering up your (inner) resources, finding a new place of strength from which you will eventually emerge.
To describe someone as 39, I think the Yi would be signifying one who, like LiSe writes in her 39, leaves the path of the world behind ( finding it hard or cold or full of natural obstructions) and finding one's own source of comfort, protection and shelter. NOt a negative omen at all, but perhaps one of an individualist who is very aware of the obstructions on the well-worn beaten path of the "world". This person is not giving up nor throwing in the towel, but wisely coming back to his core to strengthen ways to approach obstructions, maybe bypass them by heading back in another direction, and also waiting for friends, assistance.

60.1 is similar I think in that it is okay not to go out in the world ...a person who can find solace in spaces away from the crowds.

those are my thoughts!

It's an excellent point of view Bamboo. Calls for further reflection.

And you know, this thread a good opportunity to meditate and learn good measurements for our interpretations. Reviewing that initial weird feeling when receiving an unexpected 39, the water being gathered may also designate our thirst (somewhat anxious) of knowing about ourselves. What for?

When coming after a 60:1 may be the natural limits as the veil covering what we still can't (don't need really need to) see.

Ref. 39: "The sun traverses the south and west from midday to night; the north and east is traversed through darkness to morning; so the south and west is activity becoming tranquil and the north and east is tranquility becoming active, so it is better to complete works rather than start new ones. It is an advantage to experience widely (the great man) when obstructed and work through the situation so that our inner experience is enriched. - Life force halts when each tries to take the other's place" By Richmonds (I'm not making apology to this author, just to enrich).

:hug:

Last edited:

titania

visitor
Reaction score
I think the Yi is about living your life, through its answers you inadvertently may learn very much about life...but how can one answer tell you who you are ?

I agree. This is "The Book of Changes" after all. How can it answer a question about something as unchanging as identity (assuming an unchanging identity even exists)? At best it can provide some insight into a question like 'Who am I (or what is my life) right now?'

I agree with Bamboo as well. 39 is one of those hexagrams, like 18 or 23, that I used to dread getting. But while none of them describe 'fun times', they all contain the opportunity for real growth and progress. Tough, but rewarding if you're willing to face them with courage and good sense.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. This is "The Book of Changes" after all. How can it answer a question about something as unchanging as identity (assuming an unchanging identity even exists)? At best it can provide some insight into a question like 'Who am I (or what is my life) right now?'

I agree with Bamboo as well. 39 is one of those hexagrams, like 18 or 23, that I used to dread getting. But while none of them describe 'fun times', they all contain the opportunity for real growth and progress. Tough, but rewarding if you're willing to face them with courage and good sense.

I agree with me and Bamboo too :D what I was trying to say in my first post was theres so many facets to 'who i am' that without knowing which aspect of me I'm referring to I'd find the question meaningless. But I guess when someone asks this question they must have an idea of the sense they mean it in. I mean theres my social self, my place in the world, how others see me....but none of those may have anything at all to to with me. How much of my identity only exists in relations to others..a doctor sees me as my body, a friend sees me as a nice person (probably)... without interacting with others who am I ? When i look for what is really 'me' i find i very much stand on shifting sand ..which is fine because i can't see how one can fix a living human spirit into any one role or path and say 'this is me' and who would want to ? I guess when people ask this question they are looking for some kind of shape to their life, a pattern, a role..like'I am a communicator' or 'i am a family person' or whatever...I think all these limiting...but some people seem to like em :eek: I think the question 'who am i really' probably makes sense to the one who asks as they know which sense in which they ask...but i don't i find it desirable to avoid self labelling as much as possible., everyone will put you in one box or another, why do it to yourself...unless you feel it helps of course...

I can see where Bamboo is coming from, perhaps she intuitively understood the angle the question was coming from...although I couldn't go with that myself

movablue

visitor
Reaction score
:rofl:
39 is one of those hexagrams, like 18 or 23, that I used to dread getting. But while none of them describe 'fun times', they all contain the opportunity for real growth and progress. Tough, but rewarding if you're willing to face them with courage and good sense.

i hope so! i think i just live such a time in my life that i get a lot of hex.18-23-39 answers (anxious :confused:questions about myself) ; the result is only i'm even more confused

i wasn't quite exact in writing my question the thread was about; my question was kind of 'please show me a facet of what i truly am'; so i didn't expect the great spiritual holistic answer about the nature of my being (i agree it's hard to get an idea about the subject and surely the I Ching refuses to answer it), but i needed an insight, sometimes the labels about our roles (that we perform without knowing it) have meaningful informations

i was searching... for my role type :rofl:

and many thanks to you! maybe this individualist type fits the best to me:duh::eek:

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).