...life can be translucent

Menu

trying to gain some self-knowledge

I

ichinglover

Hello again

I'm trying to switch careers into something extremely challenging, and I'm not sure if I'm cut for it, both fron the character and IQ standpoint, plus I'm really afraid too

I'm a girl, this profeesion is really male-dominant, real sharks

And me? Not sure ....

So inquiring

Am I built to handle career x?

7.2.5 -> 8

This is not the first time I get this combination for some challenging situations...

Any ideas would be highly appreciated!!!!

Thanks a lot!!

bamboo

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
i sense the reading is implying that you are capable to do what you inspire. obviously, 7 implies a solid effort with discipline and congruence, and confidence. but you are connected to this endeavor.

Line 5 iimplies that there is definitely game to pursued. But Come from your position of mature strength ( eldest son) and jettison all the notions that you can not match the efforts of the male sharks. Your reticence and fear would be the corpses you'd cart if you approach thinking you are not capable (second son)

The mature part of you is capable,and approaches with confidence, willingness to learn, grow, lead, and from a position of controlling yourself; make no rash moves, nor act impulsively. a solid plan for action and the ability to carry through calmly will lead the way
you may have a unique perspective to bring to male-dominated shark tank tactics. I woulnt worry. The Yi seems to say "get your act together and be bold," dont let the weaker doubting side of you sabotage the quality of what you can offer.

8 is conducive for joining the ranks of those you belong with.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
What it is saying is that you got to get out there and give it a go, you have try.

I

ichinglover

OMG

you have no idea how encouraging both of comments are!

Thanks a lot!

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
You received H8 as your relating hexagram. Whenever we receive hexagram 8, we always need to ask a second question, like this: "What do I need to know about that hex 8 I just received?"

Regarding line 5 moving in hexagram 7, you have to ask yourself, are you an "experienced war leader"? Or are you inexperienced? If you are inexperienced, then this is definitely not the place for you and persistence, it is said, "would lead to calamity."

It's good you're thinking about what you want to do. That's great.

In order to receive the whole message the Yi is trying to tell you, though, you'll need to ask that second question I mentioned above . . .

M

meng

In order to receive the whole message the Yi is trying to tell you, though, you'll need to ask that second question I mentioned above . . .

This appears to be limited to W/B's translation. Others translate it as determining a lasting association or commitment.

M

meng

Imo, bamboo is dead on, no pun intended, with line 5.

and jettison all the notions that you can not match the efforts of the male sharks. Your reticence and fear would be the corpses you'd cart if you approach thinking you are not capable (second son)

Only thing more dangerous in business than a male shark is a female shark. And I'm not kidding. I've managed and trained media sales operations, and 4 out of 5 times my star player was a woman. They've also "held it together" better under pressure. My advice is to quietly go about what you do best, and leave the sales titans to waste their energy competing with each other. You'll get noticed soon enough.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Many Translations; Much Advice

This appears to be limited to W/B's translation. Others translate it as determining a lasting association or commitment.

Yes, H8 could mean a long-term commitment, a permanent group. It could just as easily mean that we are getting involved with the wrong people or that there is some other important consideration we must know to make it work out properly.

It is very important that that we are grouped with the right people and the Yi will warn us if we are making a mistake.

When we find ourselves grouped with others, these are the people we'll be seeing frequently socially and relying upon to render all sorts of mutual assistance and support. These will probably be the only people we can call upon in times of need. It should go without saying that they must be our type of people, otherwise we'll end up all alone in the world, in danger. I'd say this concept is an important part of the overall philosophy of the Yi.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score

First the answer given was complete in itself and does not need a second question.

Secondly Hex 8 advises her to get herself out and rolling as soon as possible for the snail loses out completely.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
First the answer given was complete in itself and does not need a second question.

I don't regard line 5 moving in Hexagram 7 as a positive line. Determination will not be enough for her to succeed.

As I read her moving lines, she will start off very well ( 7.2) but the going will get really rough. It will not be good to be the "oldest son" either. It is said that however firm and correct the oldest son may be, there will be evil. Only the most experienced fighters should be on the field or in charge of operations in such a situation. The enemy, whoever that means, will be all around them. "Game in the fields" is better translated as "crows eating the harvest." Newbies beware. If you don't get off the field, you'll get hurt. That's how I read this line.

Secondly, I don't know how anybody could interpret H8 received as the relating hexagram without asking the I Ching more about the group one is thinking of joining.

For example, yesterday I asked the I Ching if I should place myself under the auspices of a certain man in order to get more work. I got H33 > H8. So I asked the Yi about that H8 and it said: "You aren't going to like the truth, but face the truth anyway." The truth was that if I placed myself under that man's auspices, then I would soon have to leave that job.

From the example I just gave from my own life, you can see why you must read the H8 as the relating hexagram as: "With regard to your wanting to join this group . . . " It's not always automatically saying it's a good thing to join that group.

This is not the only place in the I Ching where a second question can be very helpful. There are many times when asking more questions can really clarify matters. Especially when we're thinking of making major moves in our jobs, I would think asking more questions would be better than not asking them. How can that be a bad thing, to ask more questions? Asking more questions is also another way we come to know the I Ching better.

Last edited:

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
First I suggest that you read and understand the question being asked by the querent.

Then I suggest that you read Hex 8 again until you understand what the "judgement" is actually saying and about what it is actually referring too as well. I can read Hex 8 and stop, so why do you have a problem with that?

Read line 7.5 as well.

And lets all stick to the reading here and not wander of on different tangents, as it only serves to divide and confuse.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Another Hex 8 Example

I wish H8 did mean only one thing, because that would indeed make the Yi much easier and less time-consuming to interpret. Here's another hex 8 example from my own life, to clarify getting H8 as the relating hexagram.

I've been working with an organization, but I want to move on. This would be a good time for me to resign, so I asked the I Ching today: "What if I just leave them now in order to get going in another direction?" I got 45.4 > 8. I want to focus on the H8 as the relating hexagram.

So I asked, "I Ching, what do you want to tell me about that H8 I just received"? The answer was 35.4 > 23. While H35 means Advancement, 35.4 basically means that the situation is inappropriate. The people I'm grouped with are perhaps indulging in "dubious procedures" which will almost certainly come to light. Actually, they have already come to light. And of course the second hexagram, 23, says it all: The situation is deteriorating. End the relationship with the organization you have been working with.

And so, the answer to my first question was fully answered only when I saw the answer to my second question. I find this to be true quite frequently with H8, which may be why W/B said what they did.

In this case, since the question was so important to me, I asked my main question the other way around, just to be sure. I asked: "What if I continue to work with this organization?" I got H36.1.3 > 2. That was clear. Hex 36 stands for oppression and getting injured, so of course if I can leave and get on with my life, that is clearly the better alternative.

Another situation is when you get H8 unchanging as the answer to your main question. In that case I think it means we must go out of our way to create unity with others, otherwise we might find ourselves totally isolated. In that case, H8 unchanging, it might even mean: You are your brother's keeper.

Most of the time, however, H8 challenges us to inquire further about the kind of people we are associated with or are thinking of joining. They say that's the factor that makes the most difference in a person's life: Who they are associated with.

Thank you, I Ching!

Last edited:

lucia

visitor
Reaction score
From Wikiwing:
"Retracing the oracle consultation to its source doesn’t necessarily mean consulting again. Often the most useful way to respond is to go back to why you asked the question, and ask why that’s important. Or go back to any readings you did before this one. Where are you coming from on this? Get back to the source, and flow from there. Then you’re authentic, avoid mistakes, and flow strongly into the right connections and choices."
thought it might help

Lucia

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Persistence would lead to calamity

Thank you for this post, Lucia. I really appreciate it. What I'm really concerned about is ichinglover's having received line 7.5. I have had personal experience with this line and can in no way consider this line to be pointing to a good outcome. Quite the contrary is true.

The line comes with an auspice attached. The auspice I am now reading for line 7.5 says: Ominous if you keep to your course.

The Legge translation reads: If the oldest son leads the host and younger men, however firm and correct he may be, there will be evil.

The Blofeld translation reads: Wild beasts roam the field. To avoid error, speech should be guarded. The eldest son is in command; the younger son carts away the corpses. Persistence would lead to calamity.

I really don't think we can just ignore the auspices given for the lines. They have come down to us through history for a very good reason, I tend to think. I can hardly send ichinglover into battle with a whistle and a song in her kit bag, because I wouldn't be serving her well if I did so.

I

ichinglover

I'd like to thank all of you for your time and expertise on this confusing subject!

I can see the merit of willofox point view - clear and concise, but with this drastic job move I'll need to consult i ching more, so ginnie's idea is also quite helpful.

I'll be asking more question about this career move, my suitabilty for the type of job, and I'll keep you posted!

Thanks s lot!!

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Obviously this needs to be made clearer;

Line 7.2 Am I suited to handle X career, yes indeed, you will do well.

Line 7.5 Is about problems that need to be dealt with and quickly. It therefore advises you to act wisely and not rashly, in other words think before you jump, consider all the aspects of what you intend to do and then proceed with confidence in that you will know that you can achieve your goal.

There is nothing bad about line 7.5 as long as you heed the advice given, think before making a move, then all will go well.

Hex 8 is a single and final answer to your question, yes you are suited to X career, as you will meet many people there of like mind.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
What I'm really concerned about is ichinglover's having received line 7.5. I have had personal experience with this line and can in no way consider this line to be pointing to a good outcome. Quite the contrary is true.

Like I have explained above, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this line providing one takes the advice given, not to act rashly like a young child but to act maturely and wisely like an adult.

So, your statement; "Quite the contrary is true", is completely wrong. Your experience does not count here, but probably if you had indeed heeded the advice of this line then you would not of had a problem with it.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).