...life can be translucent

Menu

hex 42.2.5> 41: Decrease or Increase or what exactly? confusion galore!!

emme

visitor
Reaction score
Hello fellow I-CHINGers!
As a beginner I kindly request the benefit of your wisdom & experience.

I've been in a relationship for almost 6 years now and living together for the past 8 months. We are very bonded and do love each other, but my overall feeling is one of borderline unhappiness and discomfort as I realize that we are not really compatible in our values, priorities and lifestyles. I frequently feel trapped and wish to be free of this bond but I am held back by my caring for this man which is profound and not to be lightly dismissed. I am upset over a recent quarrel as we are not speaking to each other at the moment so my question was:
What should I expect if I break up with x now?

The answer was:
Hex. 42 with changing lines 2 & 5 changing to hexagram 41.

I feel the I Ching is telling me that a break-up (the decrease ) will be very beneficial ( increase) to me. Is that so? Furthermore, I am mystified by the changing lines and the nuances of the answer esp. as they refer to tortoises (line 2) and kindness in ones heart ( line 5). Can you please help me with a more detailed interpretation... before I act on what could be a half-baked understanding of the advice given?

Much appreciated!

tigerintheboat

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Increase and Decrease

I've been in a relationship for almost 6 years now and living together for the past 8 months...I frequently feel trapped and wish to be free of this bond but I am held back by my caring for this man which is profound and not to be lightly dismissed.

The answer was:

I feel the I Ching is telling me that a break-up (the decrease ) will be very beneficial ( increase) to me. Is that so? Furthermore, I am mystified by the changing lines and the nuances of the answer esp. as they refer to tortoises (line 2) and kindness in ones heart ( line 5). Can you please help me with a more detailed interpretation... before I act on what could be a half-baked understanding of the advice given?

Your understanding seems quite good; or at least, it matches my understanding!;)

These are auspicious lines; you are looking at Decrease(H41), because the relationship will decrease and certain things will go away. But you are also looking at Increase (H42) of other things that are important to you, values and priorities.

The two lines you received are very positive about this view. Your good fortune is seen as resulting from your righteous conduct (Line 2); tortoise shells were both a form of currency, and a tool for divination. To be given 10 pairs of tortoise shells is very positive; I have read it indicates 10 pairs of positive readings on the righteousness of your actions.

About Line 5, Balkin seems to have been speaking to you when he says "If you have a truly kind heart, you do not need to worry about whether you have done the right thing."

I have received this same identical reading about a proposed business deal, where I would be giving up something, and getting back an important increase elsewhere. So far the deal is going well and bearing the expected fruit. According to the reading, your fortunes will also be increased.

Tiger

emme

visitor
Reaction score
Tiger! Thanks so much for your response, I'm glad our understandings are aligned, this means that I'm on the right path and can proceed with initiating the separation however much it pains me. Let me say I'm confounded by the interrelations here: following this first reading, I asked a 2nd, follow-up question "What does x want from me and our relationship?" and I received 42 again (!!) with changing line 2 again (!!!) leading to 61, Inner Truth.
How bizarre is that?

tigerintheboat

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
More Pairs of Tortoise Shells

Let me say I'm confounded by the interrelations here: following this first reading, I asked a 2nd, follow-up question "What does x want from me and our relationship?" and I received 42 again (!!) with changing line 2 again (!!!) leading to 61, Inner Truth.
How bizarre is that?
Pretty interesting...I would interpret that answer, if it were me, as meaning that what "X" wants is an "Increase in Inner Truth", and Line 2 indicating a clear positive omen from the ten pairs of tortoise shells. He may also be feeling the pain of the different values and priorities.

Tiger

emme

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks again Tiger for your interest & reply.
I've been trying to find more information on line 2 of hex 42 with the tortoise shells which seems to be a key theme in the current dynamic but cannot say that I've found an explanation that 'clicks' into place for me. I'll keep looking however.
The update is that I find myself unable to initiate the separation :( and this is really disturbing to me as the status quo is very uncomfortable.

tigerintheboat

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover

The update is that I find myself unable to initiate the separation and this is really disturbing to me as the status quo is very uncomfortable.
Just because you understand the reading does not make it any easier, necessarily, to take action. "Breaking up is hard to do."

Note that Yi indicated "Decrease" and in the short run, just as in my business deal, there is a decrease in some valuable things. I had a decrease in revenue, and certainly you can name and find the things that will decrease as a result of your situation. I would assume that in your situation, as in business, that the decrease is in the short term and the increase in the longer term.

Also, just because you received a favorable omen on the "what if" question you asked, it does not mean you absolutely can or should or must go down that path.

Tiger

M

meng

Hi Emme,

I'm not saying you and Tiger are wrong, but I do see one element of this that may be missing.

42 isn't only about something increasing, but it's about how to bring about the conditions for increase. In the same way receiving 25 doesn't make one innocent, but it shows the path of innocence.

Specifically, it's a question of: does increase bring about decrease, or does decrease bring about increase? Decrease is decrease to the individual for the sake of the whole. Increase is a return on your investment.

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Emme

The answer was:
42 - Themes of self improvement in this hex. Let's do more of the "good" things and cut out some of the lesser behaviours. (Perhaps, you can assign what is good and lesser behaviours here.)
42.2 - This is about walking the talk. Don't just say it, do it. It's about the choices you make..........and there are a lot of things lined up helping guide you in the right direction.
42.5 - The right thing for you will come about because you'll know deep in your heart of hearts it is the right thing for you. What is your truth?

43 - Decrease aka Breakthrough. Seeing, feeling, speaking the truth can be a real break though, however it isn't without having to make some tough decisions for the greater good.

I think I'm coming down on the same side of the coin as Meng. At the end of the day, though, it's what the reading calls out to you that matters.

Mike
PS Don't get too hung up on tortoises, they can be real ornery critters,and take your attention away from what really matters to you.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).