...life can be translucent

Menu

The interview

Leracy

visitor
Reaction score
I thought I would post this reading here, because (for me and maybe for others) it will be a good learning reading. I went to an interview today and came away not really knowing what impression I created. There's no doubt in my mind that I could do the job, but what I was wondering was - had I come across as too confident? If I had, then this would not be the organisation for me, so I'm not asking anything about what the outcome is likely to be.

I asked

What impression did I create at the interview?

And got 49 3 5 51

Hmm, I made quite an impression, didn't I? :blush:

I'm not quite certain if line 3 is positive or negative in this situation -

‘Setting out to bring order means pitfall,
Constancy means danger.
Words of radical change draw near three times,
There is truth and confidence.’

I like the 'truth and confidence' - and indeed talked a lot about truth and sincerity in the interview because the job is about communication within an organisation. But what about the 'constancy means danger', and 'setting out to bring order means pitfall'? It's one of those Yi lines that seem to go two ways at once to me.

Does anyone here have experience of this line? I will hear whether or not I have a second interview on Monday, so it will be interesting to see what the outcome is in the light of this reading.

sela

visitor
Reaction score
Maybe you are going to start a brand new time for their company. Unless they are too scared of it. ;)

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
49.3 sounds like you being invited back for a second interview!
49.5 sounds like being offered the job!

Hope so...
Anyway, the oracle certainly seems to say that who you are was showcased honestly at the interview so the only other way I would read this would be to confirm your own feelings that if folks were put off by your enthusiasm, you just being who you are, than this is not the right place for you.

Good luck,
Rosada

zhan1

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Ann,

I think the important line in this answer is line 5 (you can read more about my reasoning here). As for line 3, it is a message of caution for one who is hearing talk or words of change (revolution in some translations), and is inclined to work aggressively against it. The advice encourages having confidence in the efforts to bring about change.

Leracy

visitor
Reaction score
Sela, Rosada and Zhan, thank you.

Zhan, that article is very interesting.

I feel quite flat this evening after the interview - neither enthused nor put off the job. Which isn't like me at all. So I asked 'What if I were to work at xxx (name of organisation).

38 3 14

Curiouser and curiouser. It fits what I think - there would be a lot of having to win people over and I think it would be quite wearing to begin with. But looks like it would be worth it. Well, we'll see on Monday.

peter2610

visitor
Reaction score
Hello Ann,
Hex 49 Ko - the judgement describes eventual success/belief after a period of perseverance, any remorse will disappear.
49.3 - Setting out to bring order means pitfall - Trying to resolve the issue (bring order) with a conclusive answer at this stage won't work.
Constancy (perseverance) brings danger - Continuing to try to resolve the issue at this stage will lead to agitation and loss of balanced equilibrium.
Words of radical change draw near three times, there is truth and confidence - The situation requires sustained balance and equilibrium over a period of time, possibly involving further interviews as suggested by Rosada or further rounds of discussion within the organisation. If you can sustain this balanced composure you will create the right conditions for success. This is further reinforced by the line resultant - Hex 17, Sui - Following (the guidance of the I Ching)
49.5 - The great man changes like a tiger, Even before he questions the oracle he is believed - The markings on a tiger are clear and distinctive. Eventually, the signs of radical change (success) should start to become clearly visible, even before the final outcome. (Tui represents Autumn, the time when animals molt their coats)
Overall resultant Hex 51, Chen - The Arousing
Avoid agitation caused by disturbing thoughts and emotions - despite the rumblings of thunder he does not drop the sacrificial spoon.

'What if I were to work at xxx' - Hex 38.3 - 14
This might refer to a difficult initial work situation but given your previous question, I think it's more likely to reflect your doubting the flow of events. Line 3 is all about circumstances which one interprets initially as being negative but which unfold to reveal a positive outcome - the resultant, hexagram 14 Possession in Great Measure, is pretty well self-explanatory.
Hope all goes well for you. Peter

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
What impression did I create at the interview?

And got 49 3 5 51

You actually surprised them but in a favourable way, you may have seemed rather hasty and sure of yourself and that seems to have gone in your favour as these people like a person who knows how to do the job and therefore you literally made a good impression.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
So I asked 'What if I were to work at xxx (name of organisation).

38. 3 > 14

Quite simple, in the first few weeks or month, its going to be difficult getting used to "their" way of doing things, so expect to make silly mistakes but with time and patience the situation will indeed improve and turn out to be very rewarding.

Leracy

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you Peter and Willowfox. What you say fits with what I think - I'll be interested to see what happens on Monday.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
38.3 > 14

I'm afraid that 38.3 is a frightening and inauspicious line. :eek: Unfortunatley, I have had personal experience of this line.

You will put something out there, and then you will watch as you are sort of trapped in an oppositional position. You will discover that you or your possessions have been seized or held in some way, and you'll be unable to back out as easily as you could.

Whatever form it takes, the situation will be very irksome, to say the least. Will you be seen as attacking someone else's position? Or will you yourself come under attack? You'll be scrambling to assess the damage and have to re-think your stance - and quickly, too.

Sometimes people think that hexagram 14 means wealth, but sometimes it means knowledge that we gain. The relating hexagram often simply indicates our wish, not an actual result. It can actually mean that you generate wealth for this company but don't receive any of it yourself! Yes, this is also a possibility here!

As for your previous lines: I have had experience of 49.3. It means that to advance now would bring misfortune and persistence would lead to further troubles. Always best not to "make a revolution" until the cause for it has arisen three times, according to the wisdom of the I Ching. I wonder if the line 5 transformation refers to a second interview.

Why not admit it, Ann? You already have developed quite a negative attitude towards this company and thought you'd take the tack of overpowering those folks at the interview, laying it right on the line. There is quite an element of being the odd person out, isn't there, even at the very beginning of this. In the philosophy of the I Ching, beginnings are so very important. If something does not begin well, there will be an unending series of persistent troubles forever after that.

If I were you, I'd speak to someone who knows your field and ask for advice. One important question you need to discuss with someone is: How much do you actually need this job? If you really, really need this job, and there is not another one on the horizon, then perhaps you might consider being like the tiger and changing your stripes in a brilliantly civilized manner, as they say, before going on the second interview.

They say, "Attitude is everything," and I have found this to be true. I think you need to speak with someone and go over the whole interview in detail, re-evaluating everything with a view towards determining if there is any point in your pursuing working for that particular company. :cool:

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm afraid that 38.3 is a frightening and inauspicious line. Unfortunatley, I have had personal experience of this line.

You will put something out there, and then you will watch as you are sort of trapped in an oppositional position. You will discover that you or your possessions have been seized or held in some way, and you'll be unable to back out as easily as you could.

In the spirit of learning and cooperation, I disagree with your interpretation.

Line 38.3 is inauspicious in the beginning, as starting any job is tricky in the beginning, not knowing the ropes, fellow workers instantly being defensive and standoffish. But, it suggests that she should not give up on the place, as first impressions are often wrong, so with perseverance comes good fortune.

Thus one would read Hex 14 as being very auspicious(no one is going to steal anything away from her as she has to nothing to steal, its a job). A job can make you rich and happy.

The answer is like a progression, first settling in, problems, but in the end everyone gets along fine.

Also, each answer is unique unto itself, so what one person considers unlucky another may well consider it lucky.

Leracy

visitor
Reaction score
Er, Ginnie, my question was 'What impression did I make on them?' I most certainly did nothing to deliberately over power them (actually it was only one person) at the interview, but some of the things I asked, which to me seemed perfectly reasonable, were commented upon as being 'difficult questions'. As this is a management job, the questions I asked didn't seem at all 'difficult' to me.

49 is the impression I made on them; it wasn't what I deliberately set out to do. And as this is a brand new post in an area where they have a weakness - hence hiring someone - I would expect them to want an element of 49. I was also at great pains to talk about taking a collegiate approach and not alienating people.

If I get a second interview, I'll go to it and certainly be on my guard about the 38.3 element of working there. My own view is that it could be as you see it, or it could be more in line with the other interpreters. It depends on how the senior management of this organisation view this particular discipline. As for the 14, either way I'd expect it not to be a cakewalk - because blazing a trail isn't without difficulty but I'd certainly end up with a lot of experience and knowledge. Probably not a lot of money but I'd be in a better position than I am now.

Thank you for your thoughts - given me more to think about. I suspect that the 38.3 could go either way depending on my own attitude.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
I suspect that the 38.3 could go either way depending on my own attitude.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply, Ann. Yes, it could be scary at the beginning but end well anyway. It all depends on you. You could even handle the situation entirely brilliantly.

It would be great if you could come back here to this thread and let us know what happens.

Leracy

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Ginnie
I posted in the first place because I wanted to learn more about the IC and how it works. I thought I'd use this situation as a sort of 'open lab', so I will definitely post what happens. One of the things that interests me about divination is how what the oracle says can be taken so many ways. That's why I didn't ask about the outcome - I just asked about the aspect of the situation that had surprised me. It will be interesting to see what the outcome is in the light of the reading, and I'm trying to stay neutral although I really would like to have the job.

Leracy

visitor
Reaction score
Well, I heard today that I have a second interview next week. So even if I was 'revolutionary', it doesn't seem to have gone against me. I don't know anything more, except when and where the interview will be. I might ask the Yi a few more questions tomorrow.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Well, I heard today that I have a second interview next week.

So the first line must have represented the first interview and the second line will be representative of the second interview . . .

I think you'll be able to gain their cooperative brilliantly . . .

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Supposedly the front door of your house represents your face. To encourage clients, employers, to look at you, wash down the outside of your front door. What you see in your house when you are standing in your front door looking directly in represents what others will see in you. Put something beautiful or symbolic of your work in this area for an employer to feel you are a natural for the job.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

rosada

Leracy

visitor
Reaction score
Sorry, I have just seen your replies.

Funnily enough there was a time in October when I went through my whole house clutter clearing. My front door is rather nice - custom made with stained glass panels that I designed - and it has a lollipop bay tree on either side.

I also moved a table in the hallway and I'll think of something to put on it.

In the meantime I've also had an approach from a friend to possibly work for the company she works for. It would probably pay more, but could be more stressful. So I'll ask about that one if/when I get an interview.

On Monday I will have an hour to prepare a presentation and they will give me the topic when I get there. Then an interview with three people.

I just asked 'If I want to be offered the job on Monday, what do I need to do at the interview'

20 1 42

Makes perfect sense. I expect that the presentation will be something about putting a communications programme in place for the whole company, so the 'overview' aspect of 20 would be needed.

I'm not so sure about line 1
‘A child seeing.
For small people, no mistake.
For a noble one, shame.’

Don't make it too simple? When you do an 'overview'' presentation, you can miss some detail.

And 42 - blessing / increase - show them how what you propose would be good for them?

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
I just asked 'If I want to be offered the job on Monday, what do I need to do at the interview'

20 1 42

‘A child seeing.
For a noble one, shame.’

Don't make it too simple?

The H42 is the context, that you are looking for the job, the increase, the benefit.

Since you asked what you need to do be offered the job, it could be Yi is saying, "Keep it simple, even childlike." The reason for this might be that during the interview you'll be getting only an infant's-eye-view of the workings of this company. Very narrow. You won't really know enough to do a full-blown and very informed presentation, so keep it simple.

But also, you might be able to pick up more about this company and whether or not you'd wish to work there, if they offer you the job.

Good luck

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
On Monday I will have an hour to prepare a presentation and they will give me the topic when I get there. Then an interview with three people.

20 1 42

Makes perfect sense. I expect that the presentation will be something about putting a communications programme in place for the whole company, so the 'overview' aspect of 20 would be needed.

‘A child seeing.
For a noble one, shame.’

Don't make it too simple? When you do an 'overview'' presentation, you can miss some detail.

And 42 - blessing / increase - show them how what you propose would be good for them?

Another aspect of 20.1 which may apply is that you are acting too much the child who is dependent on others peoples decisions about him,..when you are not actually a dependent child. What i mean is the line may be reminding you aren't as small and powerless as you think in the situation. Could even imply you are actually too important 'noble' to be so concerned for how they react.

Well of course naturally anyone will be wanting to make the best impression they can in an interview...but i noticed before with the Yi...it often doesn't play ball with this impression making on employers business...fine for the Yi eh it doesn't have to get a job :rolleyes: but it could just be questioning how we see the whole procedure. We think we go there, we try to appear as they would like us and then according to how they feel they bestow the job upon us or not...but maybe theres another layer of reality here where something else is going on that really doesn't depend wholly on their judgement in that moment in time ?

We aren't like children waiting to see if the big people will allow us to play or not even if it feels like it. So all I'm trying to say is maybe 20.1 is reminding you you don't have to be too adaptive and eager to please, your getting the job won't necessarily rely on those child like qualities.

On the other hand could be you just need to get a much broader view of this company above and beyond your role in it as Ginnie said. Re reading the question its a presentation requiring an over view then the most likley mistake you might make is not having a wide enough over view....and all my above speculations may be irrelevant. Your own interpretation could well be spot on especially if that is how you first perceived it.

Just some thoughts, I'm not so clear on 20.1 myself but i often do recognise when i get it that my attitude is childlike when it needn't be.

Last edited:

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score

fine for the Yi eh it doesn't have to get a job :rolleyes:

:rofl:

Just some thoughts, I'm not so clear on 20.1 myself but i often do recognise when i get it that my attitude is childlike when it needn't be.

I'm not so clear on 20.1, either. I was thinking that during her interview time she is going to be required to prepare some presentation -- the theme of which she will only learn when she gets there? Personally, I think that is unreasonable, because an interview is supposed to work both ways. They are interviewing her, yes -- but she is also supposed to have an opportunity to interview them. And how is Ann going to interview them, when she'll be preparing a presentation and then apparently meeting with three people? Sounds like they'll have plenty of opportunities to view Ann under the pressure of time constraints, but what about Ann's ability to gain a view of this company?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
:rofl:

I'm not so clear on 20.1, either. I was thinking that during her interview time she is going to be required to prepare some presentation -- the theme of which she will only learn when she gets there? Personally, I think that is unreasonable, because an interview is supposed to work both ways. They are interviewing her, yes -- but she is also supposed to have an opportunity to interview them. And how is Ann going to interview them, when she'll be preparing a presentation and then apparently meeting with three people? Sounds like they'll have plenty of opportunities to view Ann under the pressure of time constraints, but what about Ann's ability to gain a view of this company?

Yes, I was thinking 20.1 can be a call to greater self confidence or self assertion when one feels one is in a situation like a child being called up to the teachers desk to demonstrate if she's learned her lessons. Often i get 20.1 when i'm feeling like that and its like the Yi is poining out 'hey you don't have to squirm and feel inferior here, you're not a kid' and often 20.1 makes me feel :eek: because i recognise that feeling, that I'm being emotionally immature in some way.

But i guess here 20.1 could be incredibly literal for Anne, that they feel she doesn't have a wide enough view of the company so she needs to do a bit more research maybe ?

or maybe you are right and she needs to keep it simple,.. either way I think keeping confidence is important here.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
or maybe you are right and she needs to keep it simple,.. either way I think keeping confidence is important here.

Yes, I suggested Ann might 'keep it simple' for the same reason. This interview sounds unduly demanding and one-sided, because of the way the company has structured it.

No, she doesn't have to squirm and feel inferior. You put that so well.

M

meng

Ann, I get the feeling that ambition plays a part in this. By your serious attention on big images, competence and roles, you may be overlooking the more 'boyish/girlish' aspects of yourself, which people tend to warm up to easily. Let the small relate with the small, and the great with the great. There's more to happiness at a job than tasks we perform, there's also the comradery. Wise employers look for compatibility as well as work skills. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Leracy

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I'm really enjoying looking at the Yi in the context of this situation - hope you are too.

It's interesting about the whole interview thing. I'm in the UK and the job is with a quasi public sector organisation. It isn't unusual for such organisations to set tasks and have 'interview panels' and be very formal about it. All I know is that I will be given a task and that I will not be able to use Power Point - but a flip chart will be provided!!!!! I'm taking my own laptop because I've got a load of stuff on it that may be useful.

Something just occurred to me, which is that this organisation's raison d'etre is to do with young adults in education. Maybe that's relevant.

Funnily enough I don't feel worried about this interview at all. I don't mean that in an egotistical way - more like it feels like 'business as usual' and I know that I can do the job. So I don't feel like a child in front of the head teacher and in my first interview I did ask some quite searching questions although of course I didn't ask them aggressively.

And ... I have been wondering if the 'flatness' I felt is because perhaps this job isn't big enough for me. I've not worked that much over the last couple of years because of health problems, but the work i've done has probably been at a higher level than this. And it just so happens that there may be another, totally different, opportunity to work elsewhere which would be better paid but much more pressurised. Hmmmmm another load of questions.

But there's no doubt that this job would fill a financial hole, get me back into the workplace and without a huge amount of difficulty (although see the 38 above). It's also fairly local, so no exhausting commuting, but there's a little, quite pleasant, travel with it too.

So I shall go there on Monday in a spirit of equality with them (and that might surprise them!) and do whatever it is they want as best I can, and just be open to the experience.

Thank you very much for your replies, I am finding all the different views of the hexagrams and what they mean very interesting - I hope you are too even though the situation is about me.

Leracy

visitor
Reaction score
Ann, I get the feeling that ambition plays a part in this. By your serious attention on big images, competence and roles, you may be overlooking the more 'boyish/girlish' aspects of yourself, which people tend to warm up to easily. Let the small relate with the small, and the great with the great. There's more to happiness at a job than tasks we perform, there's also the comradery. Wise employers look for compatibility as well as work skills. Just a thought.

Meng, thank you for that reminder. I did actually laugh quite a few times in the first interview and made it very clear that it is very important to me to enjoy what I do. The interviewer was my polar opposite and I still don't know if I was seeing the real him or his 'interview persona'. And when they see me in action with a flip chart (I've taught classes in business for nearly 20 years amongst other things) they will get a shock. For a start, I'm taking my own pens which are VERY multi coloured!! :rofl:

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
The interviewer was my polar opposite and I still don't know if I was seeing the real him or his 'interview persona'.

He was probably nervous. You were a stranger to him; he to you. Hot tip for your interview: If you can find a congenial way to help the interviewer feel less nervous, you'll be doing both of you a great, big favor . . . .

Leracy

visitor
Reaction score
I dunno what a 'shoe-in' is, but I've packed some pens!

They can't expect me to be an expert on their organisation, or on what it does - my CV clearly showed that and when I mentioned it at the first interview, the interviewer made it very clear that i wasn't there because of my expertise in their field, but for my expertise in mine.

So I just asked, 'how should i approach tomorrow's interview'

58 4,6 61

Well, the job is a communications manager! So I will be my usual enthusiastic and bubbly self under my business suit

‘Haggling communication, not yet at rest.
Putting limits on the affliction brings rejoicing.’

Yes, well, there may be some haggling and fiddling about - it's an interview. But I won't let it get to me.

‘Communication that pulls.’

Yes, I have to pull them along with me with whatever it is I have to present.

And, 61, show that i've got to the inner truth of whatever it is that I have to do.

And along the way put the three interviewers at east.

Piece of cake really:rolleyes:;):rofl::rofl:

Thank you for your interest - it's so interesting to see all these different interpretations. I suppose that's what the Yi is about.

Leracy

visitor
Reaction score
I went to the second interview yesterday and was mindful of the need to 'communicate joy' 58 and get to the inner truth 61.

They gave me a whole load of stuff to read and asked me to come up with a 10 minute presentation to present a full communications plan.

The interesting thing is that this is initially a two year contract 'you have two years to convince us that this should be a permanent post'. Apparently that's not unusual now, but it does worry me slightly.

I have no idea how I did - in that respect it was like the first interview, so very formal that there was no indication at all. And it could be that I didn't give them enough detail and buttoned down process planning. But in my professional opinion, to go in with a fully fledged plan would be absolutely the wrong thing to do, and if that's what they want then we'd be wrong for each other.

So - they said they'd let me know by the end of the week. If they do offer me the job then I have a few questions still needing answers that I decided I wouldn't ask at the interview.

I asked 'what impression did I make at the interview'?

1 1 2 33

‘Submerged dragon, do not use it.’
Line 2
‘See the dragon in the fields.
Fruitful to see the great person.’

Given that this is the impression I made on them - once again, am I too strong and too much? And how does the retreat fit in? I'm confused!! And I'm not sure I like being a dragon!!! :confused::eek:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).