...life can be translucent

Menu

Contemporary I Ching: message from Jan Enuma

H

hmesker

This is a message of a former student of mine. Anyone interested in his proposal should contact him directly.

Contemporary I Ching
Jan Enuma is forming a study group of I Ching adepts, who are interested in a present-day approach of the I Ching, which goes beyond restyling the language of the old Classic. René van Osten in Germany and Chris Lofting in Australia are examples of this approach. At the moment Jan is preparing a comment on Lofting’s book “The Emotional I Ching”.

Jan adds the following. The emotional element regards the nature of brain processing a particular hexagram. Both afore mentioned writers stress the Ordnung and Structure of the I Ching. There is no other change than according to these rules. And what to think of coincidence, synchronicity and resonance? What sort of world view fits this approach, and what are the differences with the Classic’s worldview? In Lofting’s book and his internet pages there are no references to “myths, legends or other 10th century BC perspectives, nor the use of random or miraculous methods of hexagram derivation”. No room for sinological, historical or exegetical deliberations. Lofting’s method is based on pre-language images, derived from human discernment along lines of differentiation and integration, much like yang and yin, but more abstract, less particular, but fitting the whole human race.

If the Classic is a template, it means other I Chings with particular backgrounds can be compared with it or with Lofting’s general domain model of differentiation/integration, as long as these models correlate with each other, meaning they are all based on 64 hexagrams. This promising possibility of comparison has been worked out for classification of psychological typology, but could also stretch out to sociology and political economy, and e.g. Spiral Dynamics.

Anyone who fancies a well prepared adventure into terra incognita, with according perseverance (Lofting’s translation of Heaven as an inner hexagram) should contact Jan: contemp.iching@live.nl.

elvis

(deceased)
Reaction score
Jan adds the following. The emotional element regards the nature of brain processing a particular hexagram. Both afore mentioned writers stress the Ordnung and Structure of the I Ching. There is no other change than according to these rules. And what to think of coincidence, synchronicity and resonance?

The first two are considered 'not necessary', the last one is a major element in that a situation elicits emotional resonance and as such is indicative of hexagram resonance. Reality is for our emotional species natures emotional and so we use emotional assessments that elicit resonance from sensory experiences - these done unconsciously and so in parrallel, immediate, holistically. HOWEVER the nature of that experience and form of assessment is tied to symmetry and can lack precision in assessment where consciousness can then add details etc (or even repress responses).

What sort of world view fits this approach, and what are the differences with the Classic’s worldview? In Lofting’s book and his internet pages there are no references to “myths, legends or other 10th century BC perspectives, nor the use of random or miraculous methods of hexagram derivation”. No room for sinological, historical or exegetical deliberations.

Correct. The approach is what can we get if we go back to basics pre such material where we can now do so given the work in neurosciences etc - and so re-assess the I Ching dynamic in the light of 3000 years of scientific analysis of brain/mind alone.

Lofting’s method is based on pre-language images, derived from human discernment along lines of differentiation and integration, much like yang and yin, but more abstract, less particular, but fitting the whole human race.

If the Classic is a template, it means other I Chings with particular backgrounds can be compared with it or with Lofting’s general domain model of differentiation/integration, as long as these models correlate with each other, meaning they are all based on 64 hexagrams.

.. at this time. The phase transition identified in recursion shows the language nature of the I Ching does not emerge until level 6 (2^6 = 64). There is more to consider when we move to 2^12 but that is a lot of work (4096^2 = 16+million!) and this level of 64 needs to be fleshed out first.

This promising possibility of comparison has been worked out for classification of psychological typology, but could also stretch out to sociology and political economy, and e.g. Spiral Dynamics.

Sure - since we are dealing with a language it is applicable to all perspectives/classification systems etc.

Anyone who fancies a well prepared adventure into terra incognita, with according perseverance (Lofting’s translation of Heaven as an inner hexagram) should contact Jan: contemp.iching@live.nl.

Better if I DONT participate but I am available for questions etc.

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Better if I DONT participate but I am available for questions etc.

:eek::eek::eek:!!! Did anyone spiked your beer with more sugar? :rofl:

Seriously, like I said to Harmen in FB, I'm glad your work is being considered seriously by some students. Students may not agree with all, or any of it, but it is genuinely original.

Am joining in, at least to read what's discussed. Time is being a be-atch with me lately...

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).