...life can be translucent

Menu

Riches to rags and riches again?

bostonian

visitor
Reaction score
I have a friend who has always been fairly financially successful and so he and his family have lived a good life. More recently, he has hit very hard times. His house is in foreclosure; the Internal Revenue Service (our income tax agency) has frozen his bank account; and he’s maxed out and past due on all his credit cards. He’s a wheeler dealer type and is now going after giant multimillion dollar deals. He’s never done that before but he has good contacts and he believes that he needs that kind of big win in order to get his financial life back on track.

I asked the I Ching about his situation and I got 1:6>43.

Line 6 describes him exactly: “When a man seeks to climb so high that he loses touch with the rest of mankind, he becomes isolated, and this necessarily leads to failure. This line warns against titanic aspirations that exceed one's power. A precipitous fall would follow.”

But I didn’t know what the break-through (Hex. 43) would be. So I asked the I Ching about the break-through, and I got 50:5>44. Is 50 saying that he should get back to simply providing nourishment (food on the table) instead of reaching for the stars, so to speak? And is 44 predicting a further problem down the road: perhaps a return to the wheeler-dealer lifestyle which created the problems in the first place?

lucia

visitor
Reaction score
Hi

just a quick reply for now but the problem with asking a second question from a previous answer is it rests on your understanding of the answer you received. I think it is ok to ask a secoond Q but better to ask either a whole new Q or what works for me sometimes with unchanging hexes is to say I'm sorry I don't understand please clarify.

43 is called the speaking staff by Lise and resolution by others it can mean a range of things from making a decision to a bifurcation of some sort, a decisive separation, or an announcement or or or. You asked about his situation and the Y described it. Lots of dynamic energy going bang because it is too cocky. Maybe it has something further to say if you ask about his particular scheme.

However, 50.5 is nice and calls for constancy in contrast to the sheer overblown cockiness of !.6 but 44 is the context I think not a prediction. And there is so much more to say about it but I'm wary because of the question being based on your presuppositions about the 43. With the fanyao of 50.5 you get the idea of delayed gratification and I think that chimes nicely with the constancy of 50.5 and also softens the edges of 44 I think.
But like I said the Q is a bit um lary for me.

Lucia

bostonian

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks for responding, lucia.

OK, then just staying with 1:6>43

43 is called the speaking staff by Lise and resolution by others it can mean a range of things from making a decision to a bifurcation of some sort, a decisive separation, or an announcement or or or.

It sounds like the reading is saying that his overblown efforts (1:6) will be a problem for him and he needs to make some sort of change (43) or that some change will be imposed or granted to him, right?

Last edited:

lucia

visitor
Reaction score
I wasn't looking at 43 as advice or future more as a statement of fact that the cloud has burst - literally a decisive moment where the water surges upwards to heaven - look at the physical shape of the hex its only one yang short of the creative - all that power surging upwards and it is definitely not going to stay up there. It has to come back down.

look what Lise says:
The speaking staff, raise it at the king's court
Proclaiming truth is dangerous
Statements come from the capital
No harvest undertaking war
Harvest: to proceed probing

All these elements operate because of two energies.... the sheer arrogance of 1.6 and then to the (decisive moment) cloud burst of 43.

So the statements have come from the capital and there is no harvest in fighting it - we all know where ever we live there is rarely harvest in going to war with the tax man and of course all the water - the credit card debts, the mortgage company, etc etc has risen up to heaven and you have one big conjunction.

As it all comes raining down what shape is it going to take? Clear definition and not obsessive behaviour is Brads way of putting it and I like that because there is no implication of "going with the flow" that is so often associated with water. The water has to have a direction to go because that is a worthwhile thing for water but it needs redefinition and I wonder if your friend is doing that or just reacting to the debt roller coaster. Is his behaviour clearly defining his path forward or is it going to turn it into monsoon flooding? I think there lies his clue really.

Implicit in this moment is also a sense of "truth" - moments of truth both external and internal and the dignity of "dispensing riches downwards" - facing those things that led us here and also the practical necessity of dealing with his debt burst (dispesing his riches downwards) which will cost money unless he does a runner.

Does he want to expend his energies in adding to the cloudburst or does he want to coolly and honestly have a decisive part in shaping the outcomes? This isn't a 51 shock situation because this has been building up for ages and so there is no sense of riding out the storm that comes with 51 rather 43 asks that we pariticpate in a dignified manner in clearly defining which is the way foward.

You know your friend I suppose so you can better tell whether his proposals are 43 or not! Me I'm just playing with what you have told us and 43.

I hope it helps........

Lucia

J

jesed

Just in case the comment could be useful

Line 6 of hex 1. That is a serious warning. Don't take it for granted.

Best wishes

elvis

(deceased)
Reaction score
43 covers the notion of seeding, spreading the word, cuttings etc etc as compared to its structural opposite of 23 with a focus on pruning. The explicit singlemindedness of the 'spreading of the word' covers an unconditional focus in such activity and from the trigrams perspective 43 reads "with perseverence comes intensity in expression".

43 has its skeletal form described by analogy to the generic qualities of 44 with ITS focus on persusation/seduction.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).