...life can be translucent

Menu

Hexagram 31 - six on first line

lostsocks

visitor
Reaction score
Howdy,

I was wondering if anyone could offer me some help with a general interpretation of the 6 on the first line of hexagram 31.

Various sources give various comments regarding it, without really explaining why or how they came to those ideas.
The metaphor of the body (used across the lines) was perhaps more meaningful in Chinese culture, but seems ambiguous to me.

"Influence begins in the big toe"

Could be stretched into meaning almost anything without knowing the proper context of the imagery.

What is the significance of a big toe in ancient chinese?

elvis

(deceased)
Reaction score
the big toe is the first part that moves/flexes when one starts off. People who lose their big toe find they have to deal with a delay to get walking; thus the big toe represents an intent.

The whole hexagram covers a focus on enticement that is cooperative when compared to its binary sequence pairing with hex 33 that covers enticement that is competitive.

See other pairings comments at the bottom of:

http://www.emotionaliching.com/lofting/bx011100.html

gene

visitor
Reaction score
In addition, the lines context a beginning sequence, an intermediate sequence, and a later sequence. In terms of the body, line one would be the toes, line two the lower legs, line three the upper legs, line four the upper body, line 5 the head, and line 6, the brain, or variations thereof. Movement starts with the feet, and in essence, line one is always the beginning of some situation.

In hexagram 31, since the influence is only beginning, it is not yet noticeable, except maybe to the one person beginning to move. The prototype for all the changing lines is hexagram one and two. In Hexagram one, it is said, "hidden Dragon." In other words, the power in the situation is not yet apparent. In hexagram two, line one, it is said, "When hoarfrost in on the ground, solid ice is not far off." In other words, the situation isn't apparent yet, unless one is really good and reading little signs.The commentary on line one says, "It is not immediately apparent to others." So for a general reading, there may be some influence, or attraction there, or some possible movement, but until movement has really begun, it will be unnoticed, except by those who are adept at reading the smallest signs. The movement must be allowed to expand, assuming one wants movement.

Gene

lostsocks

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies :)

In the second line, why is the influence deemed to be bad, as opposed to the first where it seems fairly innocuous.

It seems very out of sync with the hexagram itself, which suggests the influence is a positive and harmonious one?

I understand the order of progression being proposed, but less the relevance of the body metaphor... which would be fairly necessary to interpret the difference between them.

Like if you took the English proverb "A cat may stare at a king" and translated it into ancient egyptian... it would mean almost the complete opposite, owing the the relevance the different cultures would place on cats.

Hope I'm making some semblance of sense :)

gene

visitor
Reaction score
Hello lostsocks

It is in the nature of the lines to be in harmony or disharmony with other lines. The first and second lines normally relate to each other, as does the third and fourth, and the fifth and sixth. This is a general rule, not absolute. A stronger rule is the law of correspondence where a line in the lower trigram relates to its corresponding line in the upper trigram. Line two in hexagram 31 is only negative if it sticks with line 1, which is also a yin line. However, if it correlates with line five, which is yang, it is much more positive. It is a matter of who the second line is attracted to or follows.

Gene

lostsocks

visitor
Reaction score
I'm afraid I feel no closer to being able to draw out a reasonable interpretation of the lines.

The text of the lines does not change, so how does 2 become good or bad. It always says misfortune unless you wait.
But one is always ambiguous.

But they both use the same analogy of the body.

Why is it ambiguous if influence is only an idea? but bad if an idea is starting to take motion, and why do these lines contradict the main hexagram?

:S

I'm very confused.

How is it possible to arrive at a coherent philosophical position about the kind of change specified if the overall judgement is that the change is both bad and good, and that (just to complicate things) it's ambiguous early, bad later, then auspicious further on but then bad again!

Surely if the thigh is inauspicious, then the big toe should also be inauspicious, since the thigh will always follow the big toe.

And I'm still no closer to arriving at a coherent understanding of the body analogy.

gene

visitor
Reaction score
Lostsocks

What is it you are trying to find out? No line means anything except in a given context. When more than one line is changing, there is often more than one person involved, though not always. Nothing can be interpreted except in the context of a question being offered. Arms, legs, or just about any physical object in the I Ching is often a symbol for something else. But what symbol it is depends on the context.

Gene

lucia

visitor
Reaction score
The question or context are vital because the ching is not a slot machine that issues answers but something you actively engage in.

What is also important is to keep the hex in mind when you read the line or lines. So what type of influence do you think might be related to the thighs for instance..............

What happens when an influence is on the calf ? Maybe you are all hyped and ready to go full of energy and it is too early? Whatever, the point isto use your imagination a bit more laterally. Don't get seduced by "good" "bad" inauspicious etc......

Try reading more than one translation and think about how the ideas relate to your question. You have to make an effort to engage with the ching or otherwise just go find a fairground fortune.
teller.

I think that if you are really onterested in the ching it would be a good idea to read the excellent materials on this site and learn a bit more for yourself.

As Gene said, lines can mean more than one person or different aspects of the question or different possibilities - who knows without a question.................................!

If you have a question and you make an effort to try for yourself to understand I am sure somebody here will help you.

Lucia

Reaction score
Do you know anything about Chinese Meridians/Reflexology?

I would suggest looking into it. I have a great book at home that tells the Meridians of the Body.
Each meridian starts at one of your toes. (Example the big toe) and that meridian runs on a path thru your body to a corresponding finger.
---This book says that there are different times of the day for different meridians to work their hardest. And also that each toe is a yin or a yang. Depends what toe. (and a bunch of other interesting things about big toes:rolleyes:)

I Will have to find the name of it when I get home if your interested.
I think the big toe is a reflex point (in chinese reflexology) to the head or brain.

------------------------------------------------
and WE don't have to know your question. That only helps sometimes. The I ching is there for YOU to pick out the metaphors and symbols, the signs of the divine. Your signs are going to be different than anyone elses. The book is amazing at doing this and speaking to JUST YOU about your question.

I would say, what does your answer make you want to investigate. Or what does it make you think of by assosiation.
You said you wanted to know what the big toe means.
I think that is a lead to what the book/divine is trying to tell you.
(or maybe something else ;) )

Peace,
answeredquestions

Reaction score
Oh and what does lake on top of mountain's symbolizm do for you?
And did you investigate hexagram 49?
(if you mean 9 in the first line, that is what it would change to)

That image is of lake on top of fire... what do you think?

lostsocks

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys,

I've never found much success with very specifically defined questions, so I have tended to favour more generalised ones, seeking an impression of a theme.

The context-dependent meaning makes sense, but I had always thought that the I Ching could be read as a philosophical work in an of itself, independent of specific queries?

I normally find reading different translations helps, but on this hexagram in particular I've been getting stuck.

The "Big Toe" line seems to translate almost the same in about 3 different versions, and each version attributes it's own interpretation for it, without really explaining the basis of that interpretation.

I mean, in the UK, if you were to say "stepping on someone's toes" it would have a very commonly understood meaning, even if it changed slightly dependent on context, the core message would remain the same, based on widely recognised cultural imagery.

I had always thought the phrases and images of the I Ching were not random, but tied to a specific philosophy and body of images/ideas, that ran as a common vein through the book,

Am I a bit off-track here?

Thanks everyone for your time,
I know I'm probably seeming a bit slow... even a bit "Hexagram 4" :eek:

Reaction score
Yeah, toes in general just have so many symbols surrounding them...

stepping on someone's toes.
tip toeing.
putting your foot in your mouth :)
Toes are your foundation.
Stability.
This little piggy went to market?

D

diamanda

I can't remember where i read this, but a very apt image for 31:1 is when we suddenly
see someone we fancy, and our toes automatically curl. So, whatever sort of influence
or attraction we feel, it is not strong enough to make us act substantially at all at that
precise point. The manifestation of attraction remains hidden.

If only this line (31:1) changes, the resulting 49 suggests that the influence is not very
strong because the time is not ripe. Correct timing is very important in general, and
much more so when people/elements other than ourselves are involved; as is the case
with 31. We've got: the self, plus someone/something the self is attracted to. Hence
more advice on timing in line 31:2.

Reaction score
this is what i have in the Wilhelm translation-
(please tell me if i am giving too much info:cool:)

Hexagram 31 Influence (wooing)-Influence. Success.
Perseverance furthers.
To take a maiden to wife brings good fortune.

A lake on the mountain:
The image of influence.
Thus the superior man encourages people to approach him by his readiness to receive them.

Line 1-The influence shows itself in the big toe.

Hexagram 49 Revolution (molting)-Revolution. On your own day you are believed.
Supreme success,
Furthering through perseverance.
Remorse disappears.

Fire in the lake:
The image of revolution.
Thus the superior man sets the calendar in order and makes the season clear.

Reaction score
In the Wilhelm translation and commentary ... under the big toe part is says:

A movement, before it is actually carried out, shows itself first in the toes.
the idea of an influence is already present, but it is not immediately apparent to others.
As long as the intention has no visible effect, it is of no importance to the outside world and leads neather to good nor to evil.

:footinmouth:

nicky_p

visitor
Reaction score
31.1 reminds me of Lao Tzu:
A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

31.2 seems to me like you've got cramp in your calf - you want to carry on but you can't. Wait a minute, give it a massage and the hindrence will pass.

Like the toe-curling though diamanda :)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).