...life can be translucent

Menu

What's the right thing to do? 35.1-21

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
I had a verbal agreement with my landlord that I would pay him the rent at a reduced fee because I was supposed to move into another place he was renovating. This was the only way I could have afforded to stay here and wait for the apartment he is renovating and not move elsewhere. This agreement was all his idea and I let him know I couldn't wait unless he took the reduced rent (all his idea). We also had another agreement in relation to this new lease. He now has backed out of both agreements and wants me to pay 140 more a month and it looks like I will not be moving into the new place at all so I am back to looking for a new apartment. But I am concerned about what is the right thing for me to do in regards to this? Pay him the new rate or not? and move asap or not?
I asked what is the right thing for me to do in regards to this situation?
quoting from the archives (I think it's Topol or Dobro or one of the regulars, sorry I didn't copy it)

35.1 "talks about the frustration of 'two steps forward, one step back' and not nabbing what you're hoping for (maybe that's a part of how you feel now), but overall the line says that carrying out what you think is right is fortunate."
from Dobro:
35.1 talks about being driven back as soon as you start making progress in this situation. But it's not a bad thing, cuz if you stick to what you think is right, you're fortunate. You don't capture abundance, but you're free of fault.
Others say this line says don't be roused to anger and remain cheerful.

so I guess the counsel is to pay him the new rate. I really don't know what is right here, it doesn't seem fair to me but paying him more would not be capturing abundance.
I also want to move as soon as possible away from this guy but is there a keeping still aspect to this line? That has me confused.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi my own expereince of this line is quite similar in a way. Someone appeared to have accepted me, i thought we were making progress...then there seemed to be a rebuffal from them..its like one moment you're all ready to move forward with something...and then not...someone else blocks it. Seems to me that fundamentally the advice is acceptance of this...even though it does seem mysterious. Like he offered all these things...and then withdraws them :confused: which is what i found in my experience too. Hmm anyway i think the best way is to try not to mind too much and move on with your own plans. I think it could well be external factors made him change his mind, but it also seems to have to do with anothers lack of belief or confidence in you which you can't alter. So if i were in your shoes i think the best bet is to pay the money, not challenge him..and look elsewhere.

Having said that if he had backtracked on his agreement and asked for the usual rate that would seem okayish but he has actually increased it by 140 and I'm not sure if you are talking of £s or $s ? £140 is a big increase ! Why the increase ? Has he told you why ?

Still purely on the advice of the oracle I think you are best just accepting hes not giving you more trust and go your way..

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
I get assistance from the state with my rent. They increased what they paid him by $140 and he asked me to keep my payment at the same rate which would have been okay for one month or two but not indefinitely as that is the reason I was moving in the first place. He increased the rent in Sept. by $100 and the Housing authority said my rent was too high and I had to move. So he is still not getting his new rent (we do have a lease, so he is not asking for more than whats on the lease-actually less but this was not my idea) He probably is having money problems and I did offer a very reasonable solution that he not take a deposit from me (which would have created money for both of us-just like a bank) but he refused that even though he knows I don't have any damages to my present place and he is getting a last months rent.
I think I could have avoided the whole situation by just agreeing to pay him the increase but I think another part of me wants to get away from him.Plus I have been waiting to move since Nov and have half my stuff in boxes so I am stressed from him.
C'est la vie. I wonder Topal if you remember in the past when you got this line did you feel like it was mutually agreeable to you to withdraw from the other party? I guess I will pay him what he wants (he also gets it retroactive from Feb so I am out $280 but I find the ic doesn't tsuggest that I spend money when I should be hoarding it.
I did ask immediately after our talk about finding a new place-can't find my notes for exact wording-and I got 42.2-61
Tuck's sight talks about persistence with this line.Wilhelm says good fortune.
I have no idea what the inner truth of finding a place is for me!
BTW what translation do you like the best?
thanks alot!

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
not sure if you mean me or Topal ?

if you meant me in my experience it was neither agreeable or disagreeable really i just didn't understand why the forward momentum then the step back...but i wasn't very emotionally involved so didn't care much..and i think the advice in 35.1 might be not to care too much, see it as part of the ebb and flow.

We know we are trustworthy..but other people don't know that and try to protect their interests too. Thats how it is.

42.2 is a good answer for finding a new place ! Get looking ! 42 is about pouring energy in to something...and in 42.2 seems you get more that you even bargained for. i don't see the 61 as relevant as the 42.2 as its the only moving line. Overall the advice then seems to be,, forget hassle with landlord, give him what he thinks is his due and start looking for somewhere else. The more you try for the more you'll get here...think optimistically

Last edited:

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
Yes Trojan I meant you. Thanks again.
For myself and this situation I feel like I didn't have to force things to this conclusion as I could have just agreed to his new terms and waited-but I don't like the way he presented it to me-and I think I have withdrawn my trust from him.
Well I do feel more cheerful about things today and I think I didn't want to continue my relationship with him.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).