...life can be translucent

Menu

H44

tfoodie

visitor
Reaction score
I have been having a difficult time personally and professionally, so I asked the Oracle "What does life hold for me now?". I got Hex44, no changing lines. I read it as an indication that things will soon get worse, much worse. Am I right?

As a follow-up, I asked "How do I regain my self confidence" and got 33.2 -> 44. That 44 again! And 33.2 seems to suggest that I should not really attempt anything now, merely yield to the situation and withdraw. I feel got into trouble in the first place by withdrawing into myself when confronted with trouble, and that my challenge in life right now to stand up for myself, make a change in my life and show leadership. Yet the Oracle seems to say the exact opposite. I am confused!

Thanks

Last edited:

gato

visitor
Reaction score
"I should not really attempt anything now, merely yield to the situation and withdraw."

i think it says you are stuck in the situation and need not to yield but to retreat. 44 also suggest this. And you worry too much.

M

meng

"What does life hold for me now?"

It's like trying to wring the last drop out of a sponge. There's this angst often involved with 44, a need to press on toward a conclusion or some sort of satisfaction.

However, based on your second resulting 44, to the question..

"How do I regain my self confidence"

44 appears to play an important creative role in tearing you loose from your withdrawn countenance (33.2). Know what you want and be bolder about going after it, in order to gain back your confidence.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
I asked the Oracle "What does life hold for me now?". I got Hex44

As a follow-up, I asked "How do I regain my self confidence" and got 33.2 -> 44.

Hex 44 I see this as good as you are due to encounter people who will be able to help you both professionally and creatively. It suggests external stimulation, where "others" entice you into becoming more creative and therefore imaginative in your job.

A welcome transition leading to a burst of new energy and vitality.

Line 33.2 > 44 suggests the need to seek the help of a friend or partner who can help you get back on track, because you cannot retreat from life.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
I got Hex44, no changing lines. I read it as an indication that things will soon get worse, much worse. Am I right?

No, tfoodie, I really don't think you're right in thinking that life will get worse for you now.

Even though some of the moving lines in H44 definitely signify brief, unpleasant encounters over which we don't have control, I have found H44 with no moving lines to be a good sign.

It often means that the person's life will soon change for the better. 'Birth of a new era," as the Wing translation puts it. If it is to be a true renaissance, however, beware of any cunning motives or guile. If you are straightforward and sincere, H44 can mean a real turnaround in the circumstances of your life.

Line 2 moving in H33 is interesting. The text reads that even in a time of avoidance and withdrawal, you still might associate with another (or with others) in a very firm, steady, and stable collaboration. That's a very good line, too!

It seems to me there's a situation out there that is sort of waiting in the wings for you to show up. The implication when you get Going to Meet is that you must go out of your own home in order to meet with another person. Maybe for an interview? Maybe to attend a professional meeting?

In any case, tfoodie, put aside your doubts and go. As far as I know, there is no hexagram that is 'all bad,' including H44. And if people did not leave their comfort zones and go out to meet with others, where would we all be?

gene

visitor
Reaction score
i think there is a really important point here and this should be brought out to everybody, especially new people, and should be seriously pondered. If we are in a negative state of mind, and we ask a point blank question like this about our future, the I Ching is going to reflect the state of mind we are in. It is not going to hand over our entire future before out eyes and say here it is. It can only respond in a way that reflects what you need to know in the moment.

There is a related issue here. Almost everyone, and I mean almost everyone, believes that things just happen to us by accident or maybe even by divine fate, but it is outside of our control. Our future, our lives, whatever, come from within, not from without. Therefore, an agitated state of mind creates in the immediate future, a future that reflects that agitated state of mind. Most of the readers here will not be convinced of this, in fact, some may actually be aghast at such a proposition, yet it is true. And if we ask the I Ching when we are in an agitated state of mind about our future, when we get the answer, we will tend to see it in a more negative light.

Hexagram 44 is not our entire future, it is just an aspect of life that the I Ching is presenting before us here so that we can see ourselves in a less limited light. So, we take a look at the commentary on hexagram 44 and it says, "We must understand and prevent the possible consequences." Not the unavoidable consequences, but the 'possible' consequences. Why would there be 'possible' consequences? Only because of our state of mind. When we take ourselves in hand, we retreat from the thought patterns that create those consequences. The commentary on hexagram 33 line 2 says, "holds on tightly and firmly to the superior man." Or, in other words, to the superior way. We control our thoughts. We do not let ourselve be destroyed by circumstances, but rather rise above them. The I Ching never tells us we are doomed. It may warn us of danger if we continue on our present course, and it may tell us that we have put ourselves in an impossible situation, but there is no instance where we are just doomed because of some "accidental" fate.

We must rid ourselves of this idea that some bad thing can pounce on us at any moment. We are only doomed when we bind ourselves by improper actions of the past, and even then, when we calm our mind, there is normally a way out. The thing to do is not fear the future because of some unfortunate reading, but rejoice in the future because the universe is ultimately benevolent, regardless of what tricky situation is thrown into our path.

Gene

tfoodie

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Certainly food for thought!

TF :bows:

PS: I was using the Legge translation

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
If we are in a negative state of mind, and we ask a point blank question like this about our future, the I Ching is going to reflect the state of mind we are in.

Yes, absolutely. Gene is so right. tfoodie must have been in a rather intense frame of mind when casting the hexagram. That still does make the response of Yi a 'bad' response.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).