...life can be translucent

Menu

Hex 60 and a contract

literunner

visitor
Reaction score
Hello good people,

Last week I revised a contract with a vendor so it would be a non exclusive deal between us, meaning I can sell my "wares" to other vendors as long as it doesn't compete with this vendor and myself.
Originally, this vendor had sent me an "exclusive" contract, but we had talked it over in detail and I told him my reservation was that I be able to continue selling my item to other vendors who are non-competative to him. He agreed he was fine with that and told me to just "add it to the contract."

He was very amped to get the thing done and now, after I sent the revised contract, it's been a week since I've heard a peep from him.
I send 2 follow up emails earlier this week: one a resend of the first and then one to confirm status and ask if the non exclusive clause was an issue for him, as written.
No reponse...:confused:

I asked today: "what is my next action with mr. X and the contract?"
and got
60 unchanged

I've read about 60 unchanged and understand it means setting standards and limits on things (like with a contract?) and that all involved have to be agreeable (which is why I wrote him a note asking if the wording was amenable and to advise). Our last conversation was that I would make these adjustments, he'd then look them over and comment and we'd go from there--a traditional negotiation.

My intent is to sign a contract that works for both of us; I don't wish overstrenuous limits to be set for either party and I'm quite happy to deal with him to get there.

So I'm wondering, what is the Yi advising I do next to get this contract in motion?

Thank you,
:bows:

peter2610

visitor
Reaction score
Contract Question

Hex 60 unchanging.
The I Ching is telling you to do nothing - limit yourself and your actions. You've already extended yourself more than half-way without any response from the other party. To keep chasing after him now will take you into loss of self-respect - no matter how badly you want the business. Let him go, control your impulses, he's probably already blown you out in his thinking. If he does come back to you, all well and good, but don't extend any more, wait for him to make a response, if he doesn't - forget it.
Peter

M

meng

60 is number and measure. While Peter may be right in saying to limit your forward activities with him for now, I think there may be more to it.

The black box is where a prospect keeps his hidden objection. If your prospect was excited about getting on with it, but chilled out after your revision, it's possible 60 refers to establishing different measure and terms of exclusivity (the devil's in the details, especially the unspoken ones). For example, you might give him the exclusive to a certain mile radius, geographic market or product, one which happens to be particularly important to him/her.

That's one possibility, and would be the one I'd pursue: getting inside that black box and finding his hidden objection. I'd take 60 as sorting out particulars. If there's something particular involved, such as a grudge with one of the other clients on that list, he probably wouldn't want to say so, for various reasons. Things like that, not saying that specifically.

Either that or the guy was high on something when he was "amped up" originally. Seriously, not necessarily an actual drug, but something was going on that fired him up. Need to find out what fired him up and what chilled him down. I wouldn't keep firing the same proposal to him, or even different proposals, without first knowing where the objection lies. I'm with Peter on that one.

I'd also use voice, if not in person than the phone, rather than relying on the impersonal feeling of emails to communicate; asking him plainly, what's holding us up? Is there something you haven't told me? Is there something I need to do to make this work better for both of us?

Good also to keep in mind that his delay in getting back to you may have nothing to do with you or the deal, and that something more important to him is occupying his thoughts and/or time. Peter may be 100% correct based on something like that.

M

meng

I'm now going to propose that just the opposite may be possible. There may be too many limits and details on your proposal, too complicated for him. It all depends on the type of person he or she is.

My favorite Wilhelm quote on 60 is: "it means the fixed limits that the superior man sets on his actions - the limits of loyalty and disinterestedness." Disinterestedness can be a powerful thing. Maybe your prospect is shrewd enough to know this? If he wants more or less of something, find out what that is. Otherwise you're bowling blindfolded.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
I asked today: "what is my next action with mr. X and the contract?"
and got
60 unchanged

Your questions are quite specific, therefore the contract is finished as you have put in your reasonable terms which he has agreed to, limitation, but the second part of the question is about the other action required, contact or not, and this says to contact as waiting is the wrong thing to do as you need to know the state of play.

literunner

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you, Peter, Meng and Willowfox :)

I appreciate your responses. I'm feeling what each is saying--and I agree I need to find out what's going on since he was saying to put the limitations into the contract and once I did, I haven't heard from him. And I do feel like calling is better.
And Peter, I totally get what you're saying as well--and it crossed my mind wondering if he's going to act like this in the future or not, contract agreements aside.

It's interesting I got 60 unchanged instead of 12.6 let's say. My feeling here is, it must be about some type of limitation that needs to be addressed versus a standstill.

I will post any updates for the benefit of the forum as I learn more.
Thank you all!

gato

visitor
Reaction score
Line 1 on 60 says :

Not going out of the door and the courtyard
Is without blame. ( and this is your line )

on the opponent line (4) there is "Contented limitation. Success." and this suggest what meng said

The black box is where a prospect keeps his hidden objection. If your prospect was excited about getting on with it, but chilled out after your revision, it's possible 60 refers to establishing different measure and terms of exclusivity

in my opinion is better to wait ( or all your benefits will go to dealer )

Last edited:

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
It's interesting I got 60 unchanged instead of 12.6 let's say. My feeling here is, it must be about some type of limitation that needs to be addressed versus a standstill.

By the way, astrologers say not to sign contracts during Mercury Retrograde periods. We have a Mercury Retrograde period coming up beginning on April 17 and it goes through May 11, at least. But we are already in what is called an Rx period with regard to Mercury. During such periods, contracts usually get stalled, so I'm not really surprised about your hex 60. There might also be something else, some other mundane limitation, that is holding up your papers.

Last edited:

literunner

visitor
Reaction score
Gato,
Thank you for your reply.
Do you mean even though the Hex is unchanging, there are still lines to refer to? (You mentioned lines 1 and 4?)

Ginnie,
Thank you as well. It's a good reminder re: Mercury in Retrograde.
And regarding your reply about "some other mundane limitation"...that may be part of the issue.

Update to my reading: today the vendor left me a message the he was out of town with his family on extended holiday for Easter. Something they had decided to do at the last moment.

So, in a way, part of each person's interp has played out; I've had to wait as he was out of town; he does want to respond to my emails, but has not yet read over my revisions (while he's been away); and he will be back in his office on the 15th so we can talk more then. He also needed one more bit of info from me which I'm sending.

So it seems there are a few more steps to go through before we do sign, and the waiting was due to circumstances that had nothing to do with the contract, and I do need to hear what he thinks of the revisions still.

I'll add more updating as applicable to this--hope it's helpful to others :)
Thanks all!

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
One sets limits on one's actions if the situation is not important, like going down to the supermarket, as it doesn't really matter if one goes today or tomorrow.

One sets limits on one's alcohol intake, that calls for self restraint and one needs to drive home.

One set limits on waiting, but being made to wait too long causes one to miss the last bus home.

Here the contract needs to be quickly and swiftly sorted out, so being made to wait is a "galling limitation" and should not be endured, thus the advice is "to say hello, do you agree with the contract proposals as we need to sign".

literunner

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Willowfox,
I tend to feel you are right here; I will call him today and get it sorted.
He did say to call his cell if need be.
Thank you, WF :)

literunner

visitor
Reaction score
follow up: hex 60 contract

Hello,
I very much appreciate the help on this forum and I also appreciate when others post updates.

Here is mine:
I phoned the vendor Monday and reached him, although he explained he was still on the road on vacation. He apologized for sending me confusing information the week before: that he would indeed be gone about 10 days, not just the weekend, and while he was on holiday he had limited access to email...now I'm wondering if Hex 60 was commenting about that somehow?

Anyway, he did look over the contract changes I'd made (but had to use his cell phone, which he doesn't know how to use all that well--again, limitation) and indicated he was fine with the revisions. I signed and sent a copy to his office and he said that as soon as he was back to his office this week, he'd countersign and return my copy.

Thanks again for the help with this all:bows: It's interesting to me the Yi's comment on limitation in this case.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).