...life can be translucent

Menu

"Conflicted" Reading

nordic_j

visitor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m new here, but have recently begun cultivating a relationship with that most sagacious spiritual oracle, the Yijing (Alfred Huang translation). Found this site a couple days ago, and am grateful to have access to the wealth of learning and support available here.

My question is this: when one is faced with a “conflicted” reading between the hexagrams and the changing line, which takes precedence? Specifically, I recently cast 11 (Tai, Advance) in response to a question I posed about taking on additional duties at work. The changing line was 6, which altered to 26 (Da Xu, Great Accumulation).

Unless I’m making some kind of beginner’s mistake, I read the decisions for both 11 and 26 as favourable. Yet that changing line has left me in a quandary. It forecasts humiliation, that the “castle wall returns into the moat.” Does this mean only that the transition between states will be fraught with peril, or does the danger of the changing line somehow cancel out the positive readings of the hexagrams?

I guess what I’m looking for in this case is some sort of guiding principle for addressing such a reading. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

--J

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Line 11.6 suggests this, if you are required to work extra or whatever, or the boss would like you to do it(meaning that he wants you to volunteer), then yes you need to do it, as you should not "resist" or try an avoid the request.

Line 11.6 also carries the idea that you should do the extra hours because your quiet peaceful life is about to end anyway, and you will need for whatever reason to do it. The line talks of trying to resist, and therefore it would be humiliating to not to take on more.

Hex 26 Extra income.

gene

visitor
Reaction score
Hello Nordic

When there is only one changing line, that changing line is what you need to focus on. hexagram eleven as a whole has to do with a very peaceful situation, but implicit in the hexagram itself, is the concept of "cyclic return." In fact, cyclic return is a concept found throughout the I Ching. By cyclic return I mean that for every up cycle, or prosperous time, there is a down cycle, or not so prosperous time. The lines of each hexagram relate to where you are in that cycle in relationship to the hexagram as a whole. Line six is generally perceived as going beyond the boundaries of the hexagram's meaning overall. (This is not always the case in as extreme a manner as in hexagram 11, but it is a pretty general rule.) Therefore, while hexagram 11 denotes a time of peace, and a time of enjoyment, by the time line six comes around, the more positive aspects of this hexagram are over. The good period ends. In line six "The wall falls back into the moat." In other words, the structures we have built crumble around us. Not the most happy reading for taking on an extra work load. Hexagram 26 tells us a little bit about why. In hexagram 26 there is a lot of pressure. The power of heaven, (the lower trigram) is pushing upward against the immovable mountain, ( the upper trigram) The mountain holds it fast, and the pressure is enormous. You may feel very pressured in taking on the extra work load.

Gene

Last edited:

nordic_j

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks, Willowfox & Gene. Appreciate the input. As I'm still new to this, it helps to have someone show me the ropes. I'll reread the hexegrams in light of what you both said and see if it resonates.

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).