...life can be translucent

Menu

Time manipulation in early daoist ritual

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Gracias Sergio.

I found that last month (downloaded it on Mar/09) but didn't have a chance to post a link to it and then forgot to do it after reading it.

I'm losing track of all the files I found and download... :)

Thanks for posting it here.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Calendars and the I Ching

The earliest diviners and the earliest calendar makers may have been the same people. From the W/B translation of Hexagram 49, Revolution:

Fire in the lake: the image of revolution.
Thus the superior man
Sets the calendar in order
And makes the seasons clear.

I just found this tidbit in reading a book exploring calendars and divination: The Invisible Landscape by Terence McKenna and Dennis McKenna, first copyrighted in 1975.

Early Daoist priests may have used a calendar for one lunar year consisting of 384 days. 384 is the number associated with 13 lunations. 384 also = 64 x 6 = number of lines in the I Ching. What a coincidence. The Invisible Landscape did not discuss linking of days in this 384-day year to lines in the I Ching for purposes of divination.

This 384-day calendar never came into popular use, probably because it is not in accord with the four seasons and one solar year.

All talk of magic and divination aside, it stands to reason that if their civilization did not have a good calendar, the first order of business had to be, of necessity, to make one. Apparently, the early Chinese made many calendars in their attempts to bring order out of chaos.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).