...life can be translucent

Menu

My dog and surgery!!

dreamscape1

visitor
Reaction score
Hi All,
Any insight would be really appreciated. My dog is really sick and I'm debating whether to put him through a surgery. My instinct says to do it, but I'm concerned he won't make it. My choice is surgery and a better chance at longterm results, or keep him going best I can before he will need to be put to sleep (likely be quite soon)

Will Bobby make it through surgery? Hex 7.1.2.6 to 27.

I think this says yes, but to make sure I take him to the right hospital.

Will I find the money for Bobby's surgery? Hex 3.2 to 60

Okay, this is scary....I don't have much time to find the money. This is saying it will come, but from an unexpected source. A source that is negative and I should refuse. However, if i wait a better source will come. I am going to try to sell my jewelry tomorrow, so maybe I should not accept the first offer?

Thanks in advance!!

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score

****If you can find a good vet, then his chances are positive.

Will I find the money for Bobby's surgery? Hex 3.2 to 60

****It seems that you will get a loan from someone quite form an unexpected source, so call out.

dreamscape1

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks, WF. I appreciate that you always try to help out by giving your interpretation.

I think the vet he's with now is quite good. He's at Tufts Veterinary Hospital outside of Boston, which has an excellent reputation. Do you think the reading was intimating I don't have a good vet right now? He's not really well enough for me to be taking to various vets etc....I guess I have to trust that he's in good care.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
I think the vet he's with now is quite good. He's at Tufts Veterinary Hospital outside of Boston, which has an excellent reputation. Do you think the reading was intimating I don't have a good vet right now?

No, the reading was just advising you to never cut corner's where health is concerned, so your vet sounds good enough.

dreamscape1

visitor
Reaction score
Hey WF,

If the vet tells me surgery is likely to be unsuccessful is the reading telling me to listen to the vet's advice, or that surgery will be successful as long as the vet is good? It says to listen to orders?

Thanks!!

dreamscape1

visitor
Reaction score
Update: I was able to get a loan through the vets. It runs the risk of carrying a lot of interest, so I hope it was the correct choice based on hex 3.2 to 60?

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
Update: I was able to get a loan through the vets. It runs the risk of carrying a lot of interest, so I hope it was the correct choice based on hex 3.2 to 60?

Hex 3.2 can be about not jumping in too quickly and over reacting to a situation, but at the same time not letting things get in the way of doing what you think is the right thing at that time.

If at the time you think taking out the loan was the right thing to do then it was the right thing to do.

How is you dog doing now?

Mike

dreamscape1

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks, Mike.

He's not doing well. I just got him back from the hospital again. They tried to reduce his calcium levels, but it hasn't worked. As a result, I can't get him strong enough for surgery. They're basically recommending not to do it b/c he is so weak. I may have to put him to sleep tomorrow. I'm devastated!!

adarkana

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Based on the two readings you posted I would probably make plans (however tentative, delicately dependent on his condition for timing) to move forward with surgery. More recently though you state your feeling his condition has deteriorated to the extent he may have to be put to sleep tomorrow. That's a shift, and maybe ground for a new reading?

dreamscape1

visitor
Reaction score
I did do a new reading. I don't have time to wait.

I asked: Is surgery the best thing for Bobby? 5.3.5 to 19. This makes me nervous b/c when does the downturn in hex 19 start to happen?

I'm so confused!!

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey WF,

If the vet tells me surgery is likely to be unsuccessful is the reading telling me to listen to the vet's advice, or that surgery will be successful as long as the vet is good? It says to listen to orders?

Thanks!!

When someone is very ill, many vets/doctors will tell a relative that the surgery is likely to be unsuccessful simply not to get ones hopes up and then be exceedingly disappointed if they die. So, you will be continually prepared for the worst and therefore won't be overly upset as the vet/doc has already warned you.

So, look on the dark side as it will be less painful if something nasty does happen.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
I did do a new reading. I don't have time to wait.

I asked: Is surgery the best thing for Bobby? 5.3.5 to 19. This makes me nervous b/c when does the downturn in hex 19 start to happen?

It suggests yes he needs surgery but wait just a while longer for him to build up his strength by having him on a vitamin/salt drip for 24 hours, then try.

Don't worry about the 8 month thing, just think about his immediate needs and act accordingly.

I would not put one of my animals to sleep no matter what, have not and will not.

Isn't it against the law to kill off a relative?

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks, Mike.

He's not doing well. I just got him back from the hospital again. They tried to reduce his calcium levels, but it hasn't worked. As a result, I can't get him strong enough for surgery. They're basically recommending not to do it b/c he is so weak. I may have to put him to sleep tomorrow. I'm devastated!!

Hi dreamscape
Animals play a huge part in our lives so it is no wonder that you are devastated. If the worse comes to the worse and you are faced with the choice of putting him down, I am sure that you will make the best decision that you can.

I keep getting drawn back to your original question and which I see now as beeing more directed to help you through this situation.

Hex 7 - Organise things and make them the best that they can be for you.....and maybe Bobby.
7.1 - Things have to be in good order for you to expect the best results.Relating to where you are coming from in your feelings around this situation and even to Bobby's current weakened state perhaps.
7.2 Taking all that comes your way the good and the bad allows you to really live the experience.
7.6 - Act in the noblest of ways and you will get the greatest results. Walk as tall as you can walk at all times.
Hex 27 - Only let the things feed you that will bring the best outcomes. Don't allow negative thoughts or poor advice take you to the wrong outcome for you.

I asked: Is surgery the best thing for Bobby? 5.3.5 to 19.

I'm not sure I see in the reading for this oracle totally the same things that Willowfox has posted for you here.

Hex 5 - Waiting in a special way - being open to all the possibilities that are going on around. Then sensing what is right and finding the courage to make the right move.
5.3 - Tread warily and don't get bogged down in your emotions. Strive to see things for what they really are.
5.5 - Keep a positive oulook and you will see things in this situation that will help you see it through to the right conclusion.

Hex 19 - This situation is an uplifting one for all concerned, although you may not see it as such for now.Life is full of good and bad situations that occur. Consider all aspects of what caring means to you and think long and carefully about the most natural way as you see it to act in this case.

Be Well
Mike

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
I think hex 5.5 is pointing you back again to something to do with the dog's food and nourishment.

Your getting Hex 5 signifies it's best to wait and put off any plans for surgery.

But while waiting -- there's some message here about how you should increase your attention to what you are feeding your dog.

Willowfox's post about the vitamin/salt drip -- I think you should pay more attention to this. Because there's something you don't know about how to nourish and help your dog regain strength.

The 19 just means the approach of something probably your need to assume more of a leadership role, instead of feeling so helpless. Illness can indeed make us feel terribly helpless, but you can certainly ignore the 8th month thing, as it doesn't apply to you.

Physical bodies heal themselves, when given the proper nutrients and nourishment.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
I would not put one of my animals to sleep no matter what, have not and will not.

I would, willowfox. If there can be no more joy in life, time to move on. Earlier this year there was a significant chance that I would be reduced to a vegetable. I told the chief cardiologist that I did not want my life artifically maintained and that in such an event were physician assisted suicide legal, I would opt for it. I think my animals are entitle the the same consideration I give myself.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I think hex 5.5 is pointing you back again to something to do with the dog's food and nourishment.

Your getting Hex 5 signifies it's best to wait and put off any plans for surgery.

But while waiting -- there's some message here about how you should increase your attention to what you are feeding your dog.

Willowfox's post about the vitamin/salt drip -- I think you should pay more attention to this. Because there's something you don't know about how to nourish and help your dog regain strength.

The 19 just means the approach of something probably your need to assume more of a leadership role, instead of feeling so helpless. Illness can indeed make us feel terribly helpless, but you can certainly ignore the 8th month thing, as it doesn't apply to you.

Physical bodies heal themselves, when given the proper nutrients and nourishment.

Er how do you put your dog on a drip !? Isn't this something only a vet does if they think fit. . Physical bodies don't always heal themselves when given proper nourishment...it all depends on how old and how sick the dog is which is something we don't know.

personally I would be totally guided by the advice of the vets since they will know what the animal is going through better than us. If hes too weak for an operation why put him through more....but if hes a younger dog and they advise it its another matter.

I think it the kindest thing to put him to sleep if he is suffering and the suffering won't end. Many humans wish someone would do the same for them.

meanwhile these home made suggestions about drips and nutrition and so on are making me uneasy...we know nothing about the state of the dog...leave it to the vets. They always do the best thing for the animal

What I don't understand here is usually vets give one a pretty clear idea of what they think best. If they don't think surgery is worth it in terms of risk and suffering to the animal they usually let you know in no uncertain terms....because the welfare of the animal (not you) is their priority. Wondering if they haven't given an indication here....but if they said the dog is too weak for surgery then what they mean is he won't survive the anaesthetic...in which case the decision, hard though it is seems quite clear to me. FWIW Dreamscape you won't regret having the dog put to sleep but you may regret allowing it to suffer longer than need be.

Of course i don't know the facts of the case so I trust you will know best and do your best as you love your dog

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Actually Dreamscape amidst all the choices and panic....maybe find a breathing space, some quiet time to ask inwardly 'what is the best for my dog, what would love do for my dog right now' and see what answer becomes obvious to you. With your true intention allied to the well being of the dog theres no need to fear wrong choice.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
I would, willowfox. If there can be no more joy in life, time to move on.

All my various furry friends have been allowed to die in their own time, and then buried out in the garden. That's a lot of dogs, cats and a few chicken.

dreamscape1

visitor
Reaction score
Update: It's a MIRACLE.

Last night I brought my baby home thinking it would be the last night we would spend together. He has cancer and it has made his calcium levels rise, which is painful and preventing him from gaining strength. We gave him a flush treatment, which can only be administered every 3 weeks. It seemed to work, but then his calcium raised again.

I prayed so hard all night that his calcium levels would come back down and I could have a little more time with him, plus more time to make the best decision regarding surgery.

Well, I woke up this morning and noticed a huge difference. He was walking around quite well, and gobbled up a whole chicken breast. I knew he was doing much better and I at least would bring him home today.

When we arrived at the vets they were in complete shock. They checked his levels and they had come down - not perfect, but acceptable. It was amazing. The vet had told me last night that if the medicine had not worked by that point, then it was unlikely to work overnight. She was in amazement and I could see really pleased by his level of health today. Everyone said they do not see such turn arounds too often. I was so proud of my little guy...he's a little trooper!!

I think if he continues this way, I will do the surgery. I will not let him suffer in pain. I just don't think the old boy is ready to go quite yet. When his time comes it will not be easy, whether that be today or next year, but I love him so much and I want to give him the longest, quality life I can. It's still touch and go. Each day is a gift!!

They would have put him down days ago. They told me I was asking too much of him, but a mummy knows these things. I just knew HE wasn't ready. I've been questioning myself over these few days, but now I know I've been making the right decisions. I hope I continue to do so.

Thank you all for your input and support. I really appreciate everything you all have had to say. I've got him some steak, chicken, chicken broth and his usual dog food to try and build him back up. The vet said to just keep it at that for now and we'll check his heart and overall health in a few days to see if he can handle the surgery.

Keep your fingers crossed! :)

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
I thought he was too ill to eat that's why I suggested he needed a drip feed but if he can eat, so much the better for him, as he needs food and that's what the lines in Hex 5 were saying, nourish him in whatever way is possible.

Strange but I have found that it was nearly always my female dogs that developed breast cancer, I never saw any of the male dogs get any type of cancer.

dreamscape1

visitor
Reaction score
It isn't breast cancer? Something in his anal sac...which why the surgery is so scary. Very invasive. He wasn't really eating last night b/c he was so out of it, but today he's eating like normal. He couldn't stand when his calcium levels were high. I think the reason they didn't want to do the drip, or anything like that is b/c he was in such bad shape. They said if I wanted to still do the surgery that they would do their best, but I was asking a lot. I think if he keeps going like this, then he stands a chance and for that I'm grateful. I at least have more time to think.

peter2610

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Dreamscape,

Just to ask, have there been any further developments regarding the condition of your dog? Any further contact with the vets? Peter

dreamscape1

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Peter,

As of right now, Bobby seems pretty much back to himself, but I know that is temporary without the surgery. He's much stronger and his calcium levels are staying down.

I am waiting for my vet to call me back today. I believe the next step is to look at his heart to determine the level of risk with anesthesia. I'm hoping to have this done by the end of the work week.

I'll keep you posted!!

dreamscape1

visitor
Reaction score
Update: Bobby's heart is strong enough for surgery. He should be going in next Tuesday. I'll let you know how it goes!

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
Hello Dreamscape. Glad to hear your pup is progressing. Some years ago, i went through a similar situation with our male golden retriever who was a lovely boy. He contracted cancer of the mouth and throat and had several surgeries which kept him going for several years to nearly the age of eighteen -- quite old for a dog and especially a golden. Being kind to yourself and to him, just realise that dogs don't atttain a human age and we can generally expect to outlive them, even a number of dogs over years. That you share such a bond with one of these wonderful creatures is a gift, but one that you don't get to keep endlessly, except in spirit. It's just wise, as hard as it is, to be realistic in the long run, and kind to any animal that is suffering.

If had a female retriever earlier in life, one who died of leukemia. I let her die naturally, at the insistence of my husband. He wasn't around when she she expired, but my children and I were. I'd never do that to an innocent animal again. When later on her male partner had survived several surgeries and began hemorrhaging uncontrollably I let him be mercifully put down at the vet's advice and stayed with him to the end. It's tragic, no matter how it goes. But to see animals screaming in pain is devastating for all concerned and so completely unfair in my book.

With the choice to do it over I would always give the best medical care I could possibly afford, keep faith and enjoy every minute with my friend. But, when all else failed, I would never let an animal suffer for hours or days to preserve ideal of death coming "naturally." It's unforgettably traumatic and as human guardians we need to exercise all that we know in recognition of the love that we feel for helpless creatures.

I do hope that you enjoy many more years of companionship free of worry about the cancer. It is entirely possible and wonderful to have a new lease on life and more time together despite this awful disease.:hug:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).