...life can be translucent

Menu

hexagram 59 and then a muddle

H

hebe

Hi its Hebe - Having been advised by the I CHing a couple of weeks ago to be still regarding whether or not to do the Huna Retreat - I noticed that I'm still keen althought the great excitement and impulsiveness has gone. So, a good time to check I thought - and I asked if the Huna Retreat would be progressive for me. It answered with an unchanging 59. This looked great - unblocking obstacles, dispelling illusions - just what I need. Then the more I read - especially the threads - I began, once again ,to question my interpretation and thought that maybe it meant that all these courses are coming up but until I unblock my own obstacles of rushing into things and panicking to try and find some sort of course/answer - then I would continue to err and make mistakes. So a while later I asked about this - bearing in mind my lack of confidence in myself to make my decisions and not fully understanding the answer - is the retreat right for me now in October? and I got hexagram 52 with moving lines 2 and 4. So then I knew I had to take a step back - but I just remain in the confusion of whether its the right thing or not! - I put an exclaimation mark - but really it does bother me alot and I my head gets so full with trying to understand. Any thoughts?

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
If this were my casting and I'd been through the process you have thus far, I would think I was being advised to just let it go, that abandoning those thoughts and plans, that further exploration, was dead-on. The essence of Hexagram 59, from what I've experienced, is the idea of releasing by dissolving and seeing preconceptions just float downstream; often because there is something better. In this case, I conclude that what you are already doing is working and your own instincts are in good form despite all the disruption in your life. If I remember right without looking back, you are your husband are succeeding and he is adjusting his thinking through a counseling process that has had great results? I'd keep going with that and not look further into more coping/divinging tools than you already have. You don't want to confuse a process that is already having the desired effect; make it more complicated than necessary.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
I asked if the Huna Retreat would be progressive for me. It answered with an unchanging 59.

Hex 59 is about dissolving what separates you from others, and this hex has to do with "religious" type ceremonies that brought people together under one banner so to speak, for one purpose, to share beliefs and practices.

The hex is about bringing people together for a common cause, to dissolve one's own inhibitions, with an end result of finding happiness within.

So, its not about letting it go.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
is the retreat right for me now in October? and I got hexagram 52 with moving lines 2 and 4.

Line 2 is interesting, because it says the 'calf.' The calf is not independent but goes everywhere the 'thigh' in line 3 starts to go. This line has to do with rescuing and with following, according to Thomas Cleary. Line 2 is in a very low position. A person can be wise and still not be able to rescue anyone.

When the wise who are in low positions cannot rescue, says Cleary, then they follow.

Leadership has not been found above. The third line, the 'thigh' line, is stubborn and won't stop properly. "Stopping the calf does not save -- one follows. The heart is unhappy."

The person represented by line 4 can only stop herself -- No error. Legge says: 'shows its subject keeping his trunk at rest. There will be no error.'

Hexagram 52 advises a meditation practice. And going about our lives for a period of time as if the people in it did not exist.

Another meaning of hexagram 52 is developing the capacity to know when to act and when to sit still. That is, to know when to act and when to remain still -- without consulting the I Ching.

I know this can be frustrating, when the I Ching, to which we have gone for guidance, seems to be saying: 'Stay still and meditate on it yourself.' However, this is indeed another capacity we need to develop. Why not try this for a week or two: a daily meditation practice, if you're not already doing that?

Last edited:

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
is the retreat right for me in October? and I got hexagram 52 with moving lines 2 and 4.

No, as the lines indicate that you should not go in October. You still seem unprepared or unready to hear the message that will be imparted to you.

H

hebe

Sunday afternoon and I've had time to think about your answers. Thanks so much. When I merge all the welcome insights and interpretations it would seem that there is a common thread after all - which is that 59 is a good omen for the retreat in general but not in October - and in the meantime to deepen my own practice to try and become more self reliant & less easily influenced by others. My meditation practice went by the board unfortunately Arabella - for 10 years I was in a very strict meditation centre / practice and did several hours a day - but then a huge shock and change happened and I stopped for a number of years (4) before in the last year picking it up again to about 15 mins a day and a not hugely disciplined yoga practice. But the hunger, the urgent questing has not died down and I can't find the peace in myself.

The appeal of the Huna retreat is the opportunity to dive deep into stillness, chanting, group work - and the possibility of taking it further as a practice. I felt a bit of a blow when I read your words /interpretation Willowfox that I am still unprepared for the message, but its probably true in spite of my searching for it so hard. Reading this it would be hard not to say, stop searching, just be. But its not so easy when you're me and wanting to find something to put my energies into and truly commit to. But that's probably what you were implying Ginnie in the interpretation - she can only stop herself. I take that as knowing that I have the tools to curb this relentless searching and impulsiveness.

The Huna Retreat teacher/facilitator is the same counsellor that is helping us both - hasn't changed pauls plans to go but we've both been able to come to a deeper understanding of what's happening. Planning next step is still unknown territory for me - and that's why I feel this desire to follow up with something that seems so a)appealing and b)probably helpful to go deeper within myself.

Any chance things could change before October?! The answers aren't set in gold are they -if we somehow do the work necessary to shift the probable outcome. ? Hebe

H

hebe

Look at me, I'm like a fox terrier not wanting to let go - but being unprepared really got to me -and I needed to know in what capacity I can most focus on in order to move ahead. So I asked.. If I am not yet prepared for the message of the Huna Retreat - what is my task to be prepared?' - as I kind of feel lost as to what most to do - and I got Hexagram 59 again with moving line 5. The whole thing about not knowing is such a big thing for me - so this answer doesn't surprise me - moving out of my comfort zone with acceptance and being able to not know. I will read more about it - but just wanted to get back to you with the repetition of 59. Hebe

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Any chance things could change before October?! The answers aren't set in gold are they -if we somehow do the work necessary to shift the probable outcome. ? Hebe

Both lines indicate stillness, as in not going, because line 52.4 indicates quite clearly that you are not mentally ready for this.

Reflect on your thoughts and your apparent desperation to do this course, then you will see what I mean.

When your mind is settled, still and relaxed then off you go.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
If I am not yet prepared for the message of the Huna Retreat - what is my task to be prepared?'

Seems to be some sort of giving away is involved. Instead of feeling you are not prepared or you need help -- to begin to think of yourself as someone who has much to give.

"The King disperses the treasures in his palace among the people -- no blame."- Blofeld

H

hebe

Ok - thanks willowfox - good advice. And perhaps the turning around of actually beginning to 'give service' volunteering etc will take the focus off my own worries about myself and onto giving. Funnily enough I got in touch with the volunteer centre on friday to take the smoochy dogs here to visit the hospital and old peoples home and to read them stories. Felt really important and good. A beginning anyway. Thanks again, Hebe

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
You still have a lot to learn "hebe", a lot but don't rush it, take your time because when you join the course you must be mentally ready.

You are far too agitated at the present time.

H

hebe

Ok thanks Willowfox - I know this is a public forum and a bit embarrassing when things of quite a deep nature and personal are discussed - but there you are - at least I'm getting to an important understanding through this sharing.

When the I Ching is telling you that you've still got alot to learn before being ready - I think - well, how do I learn it if I don't know what to do - and that's the very type of questioning, I suppose, that shows the immaturity - because life will give me what I need - or will it? Doesn't it need some direction and focus if I'm trying to make the best of this situation - and that's what I'm trying 'so desperately' to find. But, the answer keeps coming back to be still - and that 's what you are trying to point out to me I'm sure. It's that old monkey mind which keeps wanting to know 'what to do in order to be ready if I'm not'... time and experience of change - which is inevitable in my circumstances. I just wanted to use the I CHing to help me decide which route to follow and I seem to get into deeper waters when I do ask as without your help I either misunderstand or interpret totally the opposite way on occasion. I am grateful for your help - and lets see where this goes. Thanks, Hebe.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).